Raining again

gooner1

Reaction score
Hi and Help. Please.

I have had my new Sky plus box up and running for 2 weeks now. Very impressive i must say. BUT. Everytime it rains i lose my signal. Lightish rain-Picture breaks up. Heavy rain-Forget it. I have had a dish for years and previously an old box. But never had loss of signal like this. This is the 5th time in 2 weeks i have no sigal. I phoned Sky and they said static. switch it off to Rebbot OK did that. But just started raing again and NO SIGNAL???????. Iv'e got it on a welcome back free 6 months offer. But i think after the 6 months you might be seeing it on e-bay. Not happy.

Any clues.

P.S. I am also not happy about the not being able to use the playback function on loss of signal too. £10 a month foe a recording device that only works when the weather is fine. Wish i had'nt got rid of me Vid now..??

Cheers Mark.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
You’ve had the dish for years, but probably not the LNB (will have been changed when you got Sky+ unless you had a dual/quad one before for some reason, which is unlikely). Most likely is that the LNB angle has changed or the dish was moved slightly when the LNB was changed.

Call Sky (or whoever installed it) and demand that they come and fix it as it was never installed properly in the first place.

sonny1120

Reaction score
We have just got back from hol in caravan took sky with us and it poored down and i mean bucket loads and we never lost signal but at home heavy rain it goes so maybe something else is affecting it. Either way its not working so i would demand they come back and sort it out. Sky will try to fob you off we had problems when our digibox kept freezing and it wasn't even 6 months old was told oh it does that from time to time and its normal and oh really we have never had that problem. Eventually when partner threated them with the dish and box being thrown into street and driven over by passing cars they were there next day and guess what no more problems. They had only gone and placed it in a inapproprite postion and it needed moving. When you phone telephone 08702404040 i think this is the glasgow number. From experience the india call centre is rubbish saying i could'nt do what i wanted with my digibox when i knew that i could and they never answered my origninal question.

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4 systems. In Scotland Freesat with Humax Foxsat recorder. In Algarve 1.5 fixed Inv Quad LNB with 3 Pace 2600C1 and 1 Amstrad HD DRX780UK also 80cm dish with Inverto 0.2db monoblock LNB (19.2E/26E) feeding Technomate 5000CI+ usb.
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
Why not phone Sky on their geographical no. 01506484040. This is cheaper than the 0870 no as Sky doesn`t get a cut from the call. The Reception no is 01506484000. These nos. and many others can be found at
http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I like that Devonbrown, irritates me more as I have to pay extra for those calls on my mobile, as they are not included in my free calls quota.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Agreed wholeheartedly. I really get the hump when presented with 0870 numbers and have banned their use in our house, along with mobile and premium rate numbers.

Scrooge? Me???

Bah, humbug!

PaulR

O

Old Fred

I phoned Sky and they said static.
I like that. Static electricity caused by rain. I imagine you must get a lot of non-conductive rainfall in your area? :)

More likely you've got a tree in the signal path and the leaves cut the signal when they get wet. That's been reported a lot this summer. Or the dish is badly aligned. check your signal quality reading.

gooner1

Reaction score
gooner1 said:
Hi and Help. Please.

I have had my new Sky plus box up and running for 2 weeks now. Very impressive i must say. BUT. Everytime it rains i lose my signal. Lightish rain-Picture breaks up. Heavy rain-Forget it. I have had a dish for years and previously an old box. But never had loss of signal like this. This is the 5th time in 2 weeks i have no sigal. I phoned Sky and they said static. switch it off to Rebbot OK did that. But just started raing again and NO SIGNAL???????. Iv'e got it on a welcome back free 6 months offer. But i think after the 6 months you might be seeing it on e-bay. Not happy.

Any clues.

P.S. I am also not happy about the not being able to use the playback function on loss of signal too. £10 a month foe a recording device that only works when the weather is fine. Wish i had'nt got rid of me Vid now..??

Cheers Mark.

Thanks all. It was indeed a dead or not very new knowing sky LNB. That was the problem.

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
i had the same problem when sky digital first come out as well.dodgy receiver after the usual spazz attack on the sky complaints dept. and threaten to throw it away the bloke was round the next day and i didnt have any more probs either.i think in the beginning a lot of their digi-boxes were knackered.

TWAG

gooner1

Reaction score
twag42 said:
i had the same problem when sky digital first come out as well.dodgy receiver after the usual spazz attack on the sky complaints dept. and threaten to throw it away the bloke was round the next day and i didnt have any more probs either.i think in the beginning a lot of their digi-boxes were knackered.

TWAG
Just a little update...Sky Engineer came out..If thats what they call a knackered old van that leaked oil on my new Tarmac drive and the engineer a deaf and unnaproachable mute. Sorry but this geezer said 2 words to me. LNB Knackered. Did'nt even say goodbye. Any way it rained last night and yep..Off the signal went again. They are coming back again Saturday for another bash at it. If it dont work this time. I want my £200. quid i paid for the Sky plus box back. Its a fantastic box of tricks....But honestly a bit of rain defeats it everytime. I suppose i'll just wait until cable gets installed in this area...

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
gooner1 said:
what ....But honestly a bit of rain defeats it everytime. I suppose i'll just wait until cable gets installed in this area...

Move to Cyprus,it don't rain much. :)

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
...But honestly a bit of rain defeats it everytime. I suppose i'll just wait until cable gets installed in this area...[/QUOTE]

I would not wait for cable to be installed Gooner, I got rid of cable because of the poor quality of their receivers - they keep breaking down. O-no

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
im sorry that this post has nothing to do with sky,but im not able for some reason to start new threads.i have finally got my system running smoothly and am ready to tackle the keys in the receiver.could someone PM me,and help me through it?? the box i have is a Manhattan starlightMX,with built in viacess1,2,3 Irdeto1,2,3 nagravision and cryptoworks. The thing is set to receive via1 and Ird1.Ive got as far as the edit key page,when i highlight (for example) via1-the keys are listed and underneath are 4 more sets of codes,then i go to the next page,same thing then on the last page it asks for a password.Does somebody know how to do this and wouldnt mind helping a fellow DX'er out.I have tried and failed a few times and only ended up changing the original settings to something that the box doesnt understand.After several Master ReBoots,and now having the box programmed right,i dont want to risk making a mess of things again.Or worse have the box F..k up on me.

Thanks
TWAG

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
some feedback on this subject would be very appreciated.

THANKS
TWAG

gooner1

Reaction score
Hi. Update on my my Sky Plus problem. Ahem if you dont mind people.

Another Engineer turned up today. A good 1 thank god. He has solved the problem for me. When i upgraded to sky plus. They changed the LNB and did not check Dish alignment..Pratts. Now my signal bars are over half way and a very strong sig is coming through. The Engineer was tellin me that these geezers are fitting-No throwing up 10 Installments a day. This bloke goes behind them putting them right..Unbelievable..The LNB was only reading part of the Dish. The Installers bolt on the LNB and take it for granted its right. And aparrently the new software for Sky Plus had'nt been installed either. He did that too.
So now i will probably be able to give Sky Plus my seal of approval at last. Here's hoping anyway.

Mark.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
There you go mate,two fitters for the price of one !And there you were blaming the lovely weather.For us its either hot or even hotter.