Raymond Baxter RIP

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Long time presenter of BBC's 'Tomorrows World', Raymond Baxter passed away today.

One of the 'old school' type of presenter, will be much remembered for his informative approach to new gadgets in the programme, even though some of them didn't always become manifest!

Llew

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
He must have been a good age, say 80 or something. I always remember him when I was a kid, tall, grey haired and very enthusiastic about these sometimes weird inventions.

Sad news when a TV hero such as him dies. RIP.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I've got to say on hearing his voice I would always run to watch TV, his thirst for technology knew no bounds, as an ex spitfire pilot he knew what technology could do for this world. He will be missed

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Oh well, 83 is a fine age, but sad to see him go, like many of us here, to me, Raymond Baxter and his voice were instantly recognised, a great contributor to television over a huge period of time.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Concorde, F1, Le Mans he did them all. Loved Thursday night and Tomorrow's World. Sadly missed.

You can read about him here...

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Baxter

aikon0029

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CPU Intel® Pentium® 4 640 Prescott (3.20 Ghz)
Memory 1024 MB DDR RAM - (2x 512 MB - PC3200)
Motherboard ECS 915P-M3
Hard Drive 300GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA 6B300S0 Skystar 2 usb 1.1mtr steerable dish Manhattan XT[CM, Quali 1080ir
My Location
London [South East]
Llew said:
Long time presenter of BBC's 'Tomorrows World', Raymond Baxter passed away today.

One of the 'old school' type of presenter, will be much remembered for his informative approach to new gadgets in the programme, even though some of them didn't always become manifest!

Llew
They don't make them like Raymond anymore, god bless him, sleep peacefully.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I am more the Howard, Judith and Maggie generation of Tomorrow's world - but, they would show previous material with Raymond (and others) from time to time.

And I do remember a strong voice, hehe.;)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
On Tomorrow's World, he came across as a "kind uncle figure", and was also - maybe - the "good" school science teacher you never had!

Later, Judith Hann joined him, and got the piss taken out of her until there was none left, but it would have been sacrilegious doing that to Raymond, so nobody did.

I still vividly remember his Tomorrows World April Fool joke, water pills (!), where a small tablet gave 100 gallons, but you had to add water .....

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
spiney said:
I still vividly remember his Tomorrows World April Fool joke, water pills (!), where a small tablet gave 100 gallons, but you had to add water .....

I recall another moment with Peter Snow (I think on his very first show), in which they were trying to promote a flexible advertising medium, and had created the initials of Tomorrows World Advertising Test on the material.......

For some additional background on the years

http://tv.cream.org/a-z/t/tomorrowsworld/

RIP Mr Baxter