RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
Better signal Rimants with the full face of the dish pointing at a bird, and my controller is AZ/EL pal.
I personally think that it is better to use polar-mount for offset antenna. This is to have no big issues with X-pol. And also LNB (or whole dish) should be skewed.

A

archive10

X-pol. Do you mean cross-polarisation separation? I would say biggest issue is the ned for an LNB-rotor, unless you ONLY use circularly polarised signals. (But maybe that's what you mean? Sorry my vocabulary sometimes get mixed up.)
Without LNB rotor, anything but true south is either skewed left or right, gettng wors the closer to the horizon you get (which is often where the interesting fringe stuff is)...

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Yes, cross-polarisation. What I mean, AZ/EL mounted offset antenna with LNB skewing mechanism will work worse than PFA on the same AZ/EL mechanism with the same LNB skewing mechanism, and that is because of X-pol issues offset antenna has. Offset antenna polar-mounted will perform more or less same as PFA polar-mounted. That is IMHO

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I've not checked but I would be surprised if this controller doesn't sort it all out, its a 3 grand bit of kit, you cant get a better signal than a dish main focused on a satellite you cant get that with a PM only near 0.8W.

If it doesn't I will get a titanium controller but I am sure this item will do it

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I am busy out in the garden atm, to check what some of these do, but at a guess one will be for lnb skew.

As you can see you can alter offset for maximum signal

DSCN6290.JPG DSCN6291.JPG

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
What is my main point: When you have AZ/EL mount for offset antenna, even if you have LNB skewing mechanism, you will still have X-pol issues unsolved.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
What is my main point: When you have AZ/EL mount for offset antenna, even if you have LNB skewing mechanism, you will still have X-pol issues unsolved.

The controller does it all automatic Rimants, it can track a satellite all by itself.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Martin! No doubts controller changes automatically azimuth and elevation of your dish. But basic difference between polar-mount and A/EL-mount is that in first case antenna's vertical axis is vertical only when antenna is pointed to due-south and when you go to another satellite antenna's vertical axis also leaning. But this is not the case when antenna is on AZ/EL-mount, here we always have antenna's vertical axis vertical, no matter to which satellite you point your antenna.

A

archive10

Martin! No doubts controller changes automatically azimuth and elevation of your dish. But basic difference between polar-mount and A/EL-mount is that in first case antenna's vertical axis is vertical only when antenna is pointed to due-south and when you go to another satellite antenna's vertical axis also leaning. But this is not the case when antenna is on AZ/EL-mount, here we always have antenna's vertical axis vertical, no matter to which satellite you point your antenna.
So you're saying that the ovaloid-shape of the offset dish screws up the polarisation differently in the X and Y axis of the reflector?
(and therefore is not uniform if the LNB is skewed?
Isn't that what can be addressed by havng a Gregorian mirror as part of the set-up?

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I cant see the point you are trying to make Rimants, I know the difference between polar and AZ/EL, and I know for a fact AZ/EL is better, so what are you saying pal ?,

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
I know the difference between polar and AZ/EL, and I know for a fact AZ/EL is better
Why? What are your arguments? :mad:
I would say that polar-mount is much better solution for offset antenna to get better cross-polarization characteristics of the system?
Isn't that what can be addressed by having a Gregorian mirror as part of the set-up?
Gregorian system eliminate X-pol issues, but also should be mounted on polar-mount not AZ/EL one.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Why? What are your arguments? :mad:
I would say that polar-mount is much better solution for offset antenna to get better cross-polarization characteristics of the system?
Arguments :eek: no arguments here I will take you at your word :) I will throw the controller away:(.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Just throw it *my* way, Martin. I'll be in the UK next week, and will be happy to clear it away for you... :cool:

TBH I cant see what use it would be to you are anyone, I cant understand why they made it:confused :-lol, but i guess I will keep it and give it a go:), sorry pal:(

A

archive10

Gregorian system eliminate X-pol issues, but also should be mounted on polar-mount not AZ/EL one.
I would say the Az/El system is mechanically simpler (less things to lubricate/break), weighs less, and may even require smaller actuators.
Consider when a 2.4 meter dish complete with reception electronics and everything needs to be pulled back from near-horizon sats. Massive actuator required.
So with a gregorian mirror (or even without it), the Az/El mount is probably easier to deal with for large dishes.

A

archive10

TBH I cant see what use it would be to you are anyone, I cant understand why they made it:confused :-lol, but i guess I will keep it and give it a go:), sorry pal:(
Well, I was thkning about selling the iron in the metal casing for some hard-earned cash, given that the electronics have no purpose...

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
There was something on the news today about how much gold a year we through away that's in electronics :eek:

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
I will throw the controller away:(.
@martin-f ! You are not sending car to the scrap yard just because there is suitcase in the trunk of it, and you do not like this suitcase! :-rofl2
I think controller is great toy and it can motorize any antenna, so keep it. Or if you seriously trowing it away, I will be the next one in line (after @st1 ) to pick it up.
I am positive, you will have lots of fun operating your 2,4m offset dish and will be happy with it's performance. But you will never experience that it could perform little better if it was installed on the polar-mount..... till you do that. :mad:

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
@martin-f ! You are not sending car to the scrap yard just because there is suitcase in the trunk of it, and you do not like this suitcase! :-rofl2
I think controller is great toy and it can motorize any antenna, so keep it. Or if you seriously trowing it away, I will be the next one in line (after @st1 ) to pick it up.
I am positive, you will have lots of fun operating your 2,4m offset dish and will be happy with it's performance. But you will never experience that it could perform little better if it was installed on the polar-mount..... till you do that. :mad:

This model is designed to work on a AZ/EL, if I put it on PM it wont work properly ;)so it wont work better on a PM, but thanks for your input:) my dish is only 1.8 Rimants :(