Re-flashing/deleting image

Aaron1919

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Solo
My Location
England
Hi, I'm quite a beginner when it comes to this, I've had my box for around a year now and I installed BlackHole to it, recently I've been getting some problems with the box, a green error screen something to do with /hdd/.. Anyway I want to re-flash my box with another image VTI (I'm using a tutorial from another site step by step how to set it up and they're using that image) I tried to factory reset the box but nothing really happened it still came up with blackhole once it restarted and my CCam is still installed so it seems like it didn't reset it. I looked up and saw people saying you can just flash it over the top and it will overwrite BH.. That's not working either, I'm stuck as to what to do.

If anyone can help me it would be very much appreciated, been struggling with it for a couple of days now so just thought to ask on here.

Thanks.

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
Are you using the USB method?

Aaron1919

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Solo
My Location
England
Ghostleader said:
Are you using the USB method?
Yes, I've literately just realised what could be the problem.. I've not formatted the HDD/USB to fat32 I think its NTFS (or something) :-ohcrap

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Aaron1919 said:
I tried to factory reset the box but nothing really happened it still came up with blackhole once it restarted and my CCam is still installed so it seems like it didn't reset it.
Reset just returns whatever image you are using back to its virgin state.

Aaron1919

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Solo
My Location
England
I'm still having the same problem. I formatted two USB to FAT32 and put the image on both, put it in the front USB slot on the box and pressed the reset button at the back, nothing happened other than BlackHole just loads back up.. To put BH on the box that is all I did now it wont put any other image on.. The image is the USB image too.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong as I've used two different USB devices to flash the box.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
What is the image? What is the directory structure on the USB? Should be /vuplus/duo/image-files

Aaron1919

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Solo
My Location
England
Huevos said:
What is the image? What is the directory structure on the USB? Should be /vuplus/duo/image-files
It's Vix 2.4.155.. The structure for me as it's the Vu+ Solo /vuplus/solo/image-files

It's like my box is just stuck with BH, when I turn it on it just goes straight to the BH set up.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Aaron1919 said:
It's Vix 2.4.155.. The structure for me as it's the Vu+ Solo /vuplus/solo/image-files
Ok, that's correct for a Solo. Current OpenViX image is 3.0.668. Why are you trying to load such an out of-date image? Is the receiver a clone?

Aaron1919

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Solo
My Location
England
Huevos said:
Ok, that's correct for a Solo. Current OpenViX image is 3.0.668. Why are you trying to load such an out of-date image? Is the receiver a clone?

Ah, I didn't know that was the latest I will get the latest one... I just went to find one and it was at the top and the highest I could see... No, it's not a clone, I just have no idea why it wont read the two USBs I've tried.

The only thing I can think of is I have DCC.. Is there a way I can flash it via that rather than USB?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Official OpenViX image download here:
hxxp://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/index.php?dir=Vu%2BSolo/

Also if you look on the forum there you'll find guides how to load the image and compatible USB sticks (not all sticks work). And they must be formatted FAT32.

Aaron1919

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Solo
My Location
England
I am really stuck at the moment.. I've been given a file cfe_solo to update my bootloader.. That didn't work either so I am guessing it's something to do with the USB drives both are formatted to FAT32 and the first one I tried was the one I originally used to flash it so I don't see why that shouldn't work again.

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800/7020Si/7000S, VU+ Duo, Skybox F3 & F5, TM1000D, Skystar 2 DVBdream, Triax TD110, Darkmotor, Inverto Black, Hotbird 13 Zone 2 MK 4, 28.2 Zone 1 MK4
My Location
East Midlands
1. First update the bootloader files by copying the directory structure from the bootloader zip file onto the flash drive.

2. Once it has updated (only takes a couple of seconds) and the display on on the receiver tells you to "remove usb and reboot", just remove the flash drive and switch off.

Then delete the files from the flash drive and copy over the new openvix image directory structure from the zip file.

Plug the flash drive back in and switch on. Wait a while as it reads from the usb and reflashes the internal memory. Should take a couple of minutes till it says "remove usb and reboot".

This method works for me every time with the openvix images. Apologies if my explanation is brief. Remember to keep the original directory structure and folders when copying from the zip files to the flash drive!

Aaron1919

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Solo
My Location
England
Hixxy1 said:
1. First update the bootloader files by copying the directory structure from the bootloader zip file onto the flash drive.

2. Once it has updated (only takes a couple of seconds) and the display on on the receiver tells you to "remove usb and reboot", just remove the flash drive and switch off.

Then delete the files from the flash drive and copy over the new openvix image directory structure from the zip file.

Plug the flash drive back in and switch on. Wait a while as it reads from the usb and reflashes the internal memory. Should take a couple of minutes till it says "remove usb and reboot".

This method works for me every time with the openvix images. Apologies if my explanation is brief. Remember to keep the original directory structure and folders when copying from the zip files to the flash drive!

That's my problem.. I plug the USB in and it's just still on the BH menu (where if I had it the channel listings would be) nothing happens on the screen, my HDD flashes when I plug the USB in and then stops but the nothing happens on screen or on the box to say it's flashing.. It's like my USB/HDD isn't working even though that's the one I used to put BH onto it in the first place.

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800/7020Si/7000S, VU+ Duo, Skybox F3 & F5, TM1000D, Skystar 2 DVBdream, Triax TD110, Darkmotor, Inverto Black, Hotbird 13 Zone 2 MK 4, 28.2 Zone 1 MK4
My Location
East Midlands
Sounds like you need to use their flash utility with a network and null modem cable. I did have a problem with blackhole as well on one receiver. It wouldn't let me flash openvix so I reverted back to blackhole.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Aaron, is this what you did?

1) Switch the Solo off using the rocker switch on the back.
2) Insert the USB with the image.
3) Switch the Solo on using the rocker switch on the back.

Aaron1919

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Solo
My Location
England
Hixxy1 said:
Sounds like you need to use their flash utility with a network and null modem cable. I did have a problem with blackhole as well on one receiver. It wouldn't let me flash openvix so I reverted back to blackhole.

Huevos said:
Aaron, is this what you did?

1) Switch the Solo off using the rocker switch on the back.
2) Insert the USB with the image.
3) Switch the Solo on using the rocker switch on the back.

Sorry for late reply, just got back from a camping trip.

So do you mean I need to flash my box with the latest Black Hole image?

And Huevos.. I did it a couple of ways.. There is no switch to turn the box off just a reset button so I did that and reset it.. I also unplugged the box and inserted the USB with the image on and then plugged it back in.. Both ways nothing happened.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
There should be a switch near where the power cable goes it. You have to turn it off rather than a reset (not sure I have that on my Uno) else it won't try to update.

Aaron1919

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Solo
My Location
England
Captain Jack said:
There should be a switch near where the power cable goes it. You have to turn it off rather than a reset (not sure I have that on my Uno) else it won't try to update.
No, no off button all there is, is a reset button in the middle at the back.. No on/off button.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Is yours a clone? This is what it should look like...

Attachments

• Vu+Duo_Back.JPG
    Vu+Duo_Back.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 152