Re Problems With Sharp Widescreen Telly

NIKKI D

Reaction score
I'm not sure that this is the correct forum for this but I am hoping someone can advise me.

My mum has a Sharp Widescreen TV - no satellite or freeview as yet - however she is experiencing some problems which we have always put down to reception difficulties as she lives in a block of flats.

Although the picture is fair-ish and watchable, she gets what I can only call 'scribble' across the screen. Thin purple lines zigzagging from one side to the other. We did think it might be a reception issue however having played several pre recorded videotapes and had the same thing occur with them it looks less likely. Also she runs a small portable off the same ariel with none of these problems.

Before we go mad and call out a repair man, does anyone have any suggestions as to what this problem might be. If it's a 'fatal' problem then at least we can be braced for impact.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
NIKKI D said:
I'm not sure that this is the correct forum for this but I am hoping someone can advise me.

My mum has a Sharp Widescreen TV - no satellite or freeview as yet - however she is experiencing some problems which we have always put down to reception difficulties as she lives in a block of flats.

Although the picture is fair-ish and watchable, she gets what I can only call 'scribble' across the screen. Thin purple lines zigzagging from one side to the other. We did think it might be a reception issue however having played several pre recorded videotapes and had the same thing occur with them it looks less likely. Also she runs a small portable off the same ariel with none of these problems.

Before we go mad and call out a repair man, does anyone have any suggestions as to what this problem might be. If it's a 'fatal' problem then at least we can be braced for impact.
Hi Nikki
Sounds like some form of parasitic oscillation in the line circuit.
Not a lot you can do yourself unfortunately, but if you can supply the model number (on the back) I can check my stock faults list, but I think this might be purely an academic exercise as you will most likely need to have it repaired.

Llew

wurzel

Reaction score
My Location
south west uk
Hi M8,
It may well be the video recorder, causing your problem try taking the video recorder away from the tv altogether. then see if you still have problems. in take away video recorder i mean completely away and not connected to any power supply. hope this helps you. wurzel.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
When you say 'same aerial', or are you using one of the set top aerials, or something via a wire to the socket in the wall /

NIKKI D

Reaction score
Channel Hopper said:
When you say 'same aerial', or are you using one of the set top aerials, or something via a wire to the socket in the wall /
This is via a socket in the wall. She had it professionally 'piped' through so that she got good reception on the telly in the bedroom.

I thought it might be a problem requiring a repairman but I thought I would check it out first