Read e-mail messages using 7000S

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Is it possible to read e-mail messages using DreamBox 7000S and a router ?
This would save me switching on the PC in order to check my e-mail box.

If it is possible for the box to connect to the internet in order to add plugins and play music from several sites, then this shouldn't be too difficult.

Taking it one more step further, browse your favourite websites.

Hope that it is not against the rules to ask internet related questions using a satellite receiver.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
HB13DISH said:
I
Hope that it is not against the rules to ask internet related questions using a satellite receiver.

How can it be against the rules, I am sorry you have lost me for one. Which part of the rules do you think it is breaking? How many times have you read the rules here

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Triple Dragon uses libmail.so plugin, no doubt there's one for the Dreambox (maybe Tuxmail)

Llew

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Installed tuxmail 1.41 from the addons > plugins
When I open the application, I get a blue window with the top heading message : Keine info Verfügbar

Does anybody know how to set this thing up ?
Tried Google, but didn't find anything useful.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
HB13DISH said:
Installed tuxmail 1.41 from the addons > plugins
When I open the application, I get a blue window with the top heading message : Keine info Verfügbar
Does anybody know how to set this thing up ?
Tried Google, but didn't find anything useful.

Do not know how to set it up but can say Keine info Verfügbar
means No info. available
But then you already knew that or you would not have been posting!

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Thank you T_G
I did go over this url for the past 3 days, but I keep getting
TuxMail Statusinfo : Daemon not running!

When I get there, I will make a detailed post about how to configure it in English.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
T_G said:
It does work, but unfortunately it takes a bit of setting up. You will ned to know German for it at the moment...http://wiki.tuxbox.org/Plugins:E-Mail

TuxMail 1.41 Configuration Procedure

:) It works

The tuxmail 1.41 is a mail utility that can be installed in your DreamBox with Gemini 4.0 from the addon (blue) button.

I had a hard time trying to setup it up because I didn't find any documentation in English about how to configure it up.
There were few threads that were helpful in German.
Credit goes to:
http://wiki.tuxbox.org/Plugins:E-Mail
and to LAVAZZA from Dream-P****** with his excellent review and examples.

Procedure:

1 - Enable HTTPD
Blue Button > Extra / Settings > Little Apache > Check Enable/Disable HTTPD > Green Button restart until you see it running

2 - TuxMail 1.41 Installation

Blue Button > addons > download (Gemini Server) > Plugins (30 entries) >
TuxMail 1.41

Download and install as usual, then restart DreamBox.

3 - Initial Testing

Blue Button > Plugins (Tools) > E-Mail

You will see a blue screen with nothing inside except a heading in German

meaning that there is no information.

Click on the Standby button (don't worry it will not shut the box when this plugin is loaded.

You will see this message

TuxMail Statusinfo
Autostart deaktiviert (meanig: Auto start inactive) Press OK

Press standby button again and the message reads
Autostart Aktiviert (meanig: Auto start is active) Press ok

Next

Click on the mute button and you will see this message
Daemon ist nicht geladen!
Click ok

Click on the mute button again and you will get the same message

Later on when you input the correct configuration, you will get hopefully this message

Daemon ist geladen or the equivalent in English
(Yes, there is an English interface) :)

4 - Cofiguring the tuxmail 1.41
4.1 Original file

FTP connect to your box
Look for this file: var/tuxbox/config/tuxmail/tuxmail.conf

Upload it to your PC to say /temp and then open it using UltraEdit-32

The file looks like this (We will change for the time being only few fields marked in red in order to get it to work and then you can play with the othe fields to suit your needs)

STARTDELAY=30
INTERVALL=15

LOGGING=Y
LOGMODE=S

SAVEDB=Y

AUDIO=Y
VIDEO=1

LCD=Y
OSD=G

SKIN=1

TYPEFLAG=1

CONFIGCODE=
ADMIN=Y

MAILCACHE=5
MAILDIR=/tmp/
SECURITY=

WEBPORT=80
WEBUSER=
WEBPASS=

NAME0=
POP30=
IMAP0=
USER0=
PASS0=
SMTP0=
FROM0=
CODE0=
AUTH0=
SUSER0=
SPASS0=
INBOX0=

4.2 Modifications
INTERVALL=15
This is the time interval to fetch messages
Change it to 5
INTERVALL=5

OSD=G
This is the language interface. Change to E for English
OSD=E

SKIN=1
This is the background color of the interface. 1=Blue, 2=GreyI will keep it in Blue

WEBUSER=
WEBPASS=

This is the the DreamBox login and password. Change to the usual values, unless you have changed the password.

WEBUSER=root
WEBPASS=dreambox

NAME0=
This is the login name to your mail box (inbox)
If your name is John Smith and you have an account with yahoo.com, then
NAME0=john_smith@yahoo.com

POP30=
This is the mail server method for pop3. For the above example
POP30=pop.mail.yahoo.com

USER0=
This is the user name without the @
USER0=John_Smith

PASS0=
This is your mail account password, let us say John Smith password is 12345678
PASS0=12345678

SMTP0=
This is the outgoing mail server to enable you to send messages

SMTP0=smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Note1: The "0" indicates the number of the user.
It is possible to check the mail of several people, all you have to do is change 0 to 1, 2, 3, etc.Note 2
: I had a rough time between the
NAME0=
andUSER0=
I finally used the same for both i.e john_smith@yahoo.com and it worked for me.
But you have to experiment until you get the correct setting.
It depends on your ISP !!!

When you have made all the changes to the file, save it as a unix file and using your usual FTP application, replace the original file (overwrite)

I suggest that you keep the original file in a safe place so that you can refer to it afterwards since things get a bit messy until you get the tuxmail to work.

Then restart the Dreambox.

5 - How to initialize TuxMail 1.41

Just click on blue button > plugins > E-Mail
Then follow the procedure in
3 - Initial Testing
You should see that Daemon is working

After a little while (assuming you have got your setup correctly), press the red button and you should see your mail inbox messages with yellow flag dots.

Select any message with the up-down buttons and then click on the yellow button to read it.
Exit with the Lame red button and you are back to the mail message list.

Click on the green button and you get the reply interface.Click on the yellow button to compose a short replyYou have to check if your outgoing mail is working.Send a short message to yourself and if you receive it in your Outlook in your PC or in tuxmail, then you have a working system.

6- Exit using the Lame button.

Hope that with this procedure you will get tuxmail to work for you in a very short time.

Update: Change to:
AUTH0=0

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Nice one HB, I might give it a try. I think ther eis one thing you should take into consideration - I read somewhere that when you enable the autoloading feature (by pressing the standby button after you have started the email plugin), you should then reboot the box immediately, this will then load the daemon.

By the way, what happens to these mails, are they deleted from the server or do they stay there? And attachments?

Cheers, TG

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Works a treat! I get this woman's voice telling me I got mail on my dreambox! Window pops up with headers. What a fantastic plugin!
I only wish there was a way of having it password activated so children can't see my mails.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
T_G said:
I only wish there was a way of having it password activated so children can't see my mails.

All points bulletin, stop sending T_G pictures of naked and scantilly clad women in provocative poses forwith

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Topper said:
All points bulletin, stop sending T_G pictures of naked and scantilly clad women in provocative poses forwith

Lol it only shows text...still is something I do not want them to see...

@ HB13Dish: Can you enter your post with the settings and explenations into the Idiot Guide? Most exiting thing happening on the Dreambox section for a long time.

P.S. MR. Horse is very very happy :p

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Sounds like a nice little addition the the DB. I would imagine that lots of stuff that is written for linux will with minor mods be possible on the DB. The code is out there just needs a reason to include it I suppose.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ok, found the security feature.
add a four digit number 0000-9999 to the code and dreambox will ak you before showing the mails, for instance

CODE0:1111

Bingo!

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
T_G @ HB13Dish: Can you enter your post with the settings and explenations into the Idiot Guide? Most exiting thing happening on the Dreambox section for a long time. P.S. MR. Horse is very very happy :p[/quote said:
Thank you T_G. I am glad that you found it interesting.

I will add it to the Idiot's Guide, but I think that I will add few more parameters to cover the the things that you mentioned and that can be useful also to others.
By the way, if you look at the /tmp subfolder, you will see new files that are added when you import the messages. Like spam files and others.

Composing messages or replying to messages is quite tedious with the usual remote. I think I will get a DreamBox Keyboard soon and use it just for this purpose.
(You can choose the keyboard option from the yellow button, just click it few times and on the fourth it displays Keyboard)

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
T_G said:
Ok, found the security feature.
add a four digit number 0000-9999 to the code and dreambox will ak you before showing the mails, for instance

CODE0:1111

Bingo!

The security level is quite low with this plugin.
At this stage it would be better not to add any users to the config file until you are sure that your password and PIN can be seen only by you.

When you load your messages, click on the dream button below Bouquet and a new window opens up showing page 1/12
It shows your profile, password and PIN
Move to the second page with the red button and you can see the 2nd user profile, and so on.

Also, if you have Tux Commander installed, it is very easy to open the config file and note all the profiles setup and make changes.

Another point to take into consideration is that a file may contain a virus and I think that since the DreamBox doesn't have any antivirus application, such a file may corrupt your box.

Use with caution

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I got the thing going, no problem. But I would like to be able to start the email thing without having to get the autostart going and rebooting.
The reason is, during the day the kids watch TV and they occasionally will boot the dreambox if it gets stuck. if the autostart is enabled, they get every 10 minutes the message "new mail". When I watch it in the evening, I like to check the mail - but I cannot get the daemon to work without the autostart. Any ideas?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
T_G said:
I got the thing going, no problem. But I would like to be able to start the email thing without having to get the autostart going and rebooting.
The reason is, during the day the kids watch TV and they occasionally will boot the dreambox if it gets stuck. if the autostart is enabled, they get every 10 minutes the message "new mail". When I watch it in the evening, I like to check the mail - but I cannot get the daemon to work without the autostart. Any ideas?

I usually switch off the router and also the Dreambox with the standby button when I go to bed and switch them on in the evening.
And after few minutes I get the voice mail message and the popup window.
I haven't touched the autostart not even once since the installation of the tuxmail.

If you switch off the router only, the kids will not have any messages, audio or video when they watch TV during the day.
In the evening remeber to switch on the router in order to check mail.
There is always a little price to pay for our wishes :)

But if you need them both on all the time 24/24 then I will think of another solution.

choco

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB500 1m dish 0.3lnb Motorised
My Location
Spain
There is also a suitable version for DB500 (Tuxmail 1.33). Can somebody please explain how to configure it as it differs from that for the 7000? Thks.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
choco said:
There is also a suitable version for DB500 (Tuxmail 1.33). Can somebody please explain how to configure it as it differs from that for the 7000? Thks.

Differs in what way ?

Have you tried to install Tuxmail 1.41 and follow the instructions in the Idiot's guide ?

All previous Tuxmail versions caused the box to hang.

You are welcome to install 1.33 if this is easy for you, and attach the configuration file in a new post (for 500, not under this thread) and I will take a look at it.
It should be with the same parameters as for 1.41