Advice Needed Receivers with the lowest Symbol Rate?

I wouldn't consider remanufacturing anything for what is a 35+ year old design, there are more modern 2.2-2.7m dishes being more or less given away these days.
 
The extender panels having had an effect I totally understand..
They have sadly gone now ...and the original dish edge plates are lost to time (aluminium 2 hole strips about 14cm long with 2 holes spaced about 10mm apart) .
They were removed when the extender panels were fitted....so looks like I at least have new replacements to make.
rgds

I wouldn't consider remanufacturing anything for what is a 35+ year old design, there are more modern 2.2-2.7m dishes being more or less given away these days.
Yes ..I get it...but she's my old girl ..
Has great sentimental value and I love her.
So I will do what I can to patch her up.
She may have gone a bit deaf but so have I.
lol
 
Start by straightening out Christine first, with her size you should get QO-100 without a Sheila threesome.
 
Miserable day here unlike yesterday with lots of bright sunshine....so had to move operations into my kitchen..
scuse the mess..
I wish I had room for a proper workshop.
Anyhoo..thought I'd give the new 23mm cutting tool a go.
cut down into the lnb throat about another 2mm and got a much better fit.
It will support the pipe upright without friction or external assistance.
I'm well pleased with it.
Looking at the photo of my drill press ...I think a bit of TLC wouldn't go amiss.
 

Attachments

  • P1010006.webp
    P1010006.webp
    465.9 KB · Views: 53
  • P1010007.webp
    P1010007.webp
    629.8 KB · Views: 41
  • P1010008.webp
    P1010008.webp
    443.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Miserable day here unlike yesterday with lots of bright sunshine....so had to move operations into my kitchen..
scuse the mess..
I wish I had room for a proper workshop.
Anyhoo..thought I'd give the new 23mm cutting tool a go.
cut down into the lnb throat about another 2mm and got a much better fit.
It will support the pipe upright without friction or external assistance.
I'm well pleased with it.
Looking at the photo of my drill press ...I think a bit of TLC wouldn't go amiss.
Just a bit of steel wool and 3 in 1

You could eat off that worktop, you should see mine.
 
Hey Stephen ..I really need to pay you for the feed not least because I'm considering removing the scalar rings from the waveguide.
Obviously a destructive process.
Hear me out..there is method in my madness.
In the same way C band lnbs and their scalars are seperate and adjustable...I am thinking that since my dish may well be non standard thus full illumination may be an issue...the distance between waveguide apex and scalars may be critical.
I believe Invacom produced a feed assembly to combat this issue.
Pulsat used to sell them but sadly no longer

ADF120 Invacom Adjustable Feedhorn C120 Fitting​

I know the dish still needs alignment ...but your thoughts on the above would be most appreciated.
rgds

Theory of function...

RF Energy Entry: Radio frequency (RF) energy enters the antenna from a standard waveguide interface, propagating electromagnetic modes down the throat of the horn

Impedance Control: These grooves alter the boundary conditions at the wall. They present a reactive (near-zero tangential electric field) surface for both vertical and horizontal polarizations equally

Mode Equalization: By forcing the electric and magnetic fields (the HE₁₁ hybrid mode) to match symmetrically at the boundaries, the horn eliminates differences between the E-plane and H-plane radiation patterns

Beam Shaping & Efficiency: The resulting symmetrical beamwidth provides uniform illumination across a parabolic reflector dish. This suppresses side lobes, minimizes edge diffraction, and reduces spillover energy pointing past the dish edge, maximizing total antenna gain and efficiency.
 
Last edited:
Hey Stephen ..I really need to pay you for the feed not least because I'm considering removing the scalar rings from the waveguide.
Obviously a destructive process.
Hear me out..there is method in my madness.
In the same way C band lnbs and their scalars are seperate and adjustable...I am thinking that since my dish may well be non standard thus full illumination may be an issue...the distance between waveguide apex and scalars may be critical.
I believe Invacom produced a feed assembly to combat this issue.
Pulsat used to sell them but sadly no longer

ADF120 Invacom Adjustable Feedhorn C120 Fitting​

I know the dish still needs alignment ...but your thoughts on the above would be most appreciated.
rgds

RF Energy Entry: Radio frequency (RF) energy enters the antenna from a standard waveguide interface, propagating electromagnetic modes down the throat of the horn

Impedance Control: These grooves alter the boundary conditions at the wall. They present a reactive (near-zero tangential electric field) surface for both vertical and horizontal polarizations equally

Mode Equalization: By forcing the electric and magnetic fields (the HE₁₁ hybrid mode) to match symmetrically at the boundaries, the horn eliminates differences between the E-plane and H-plane radiation patterns
20260928_115007.webp
Beam Shaping & Efficiency: The resulting symmetrical beamwidth provides uniform illumination across a parabolic reflector dish. This suppresses side lobes, minimizes edge diffraction, and reduces spillover energy pointing past the dish edge, maximizing total antenna gain and efficiency.
If you need an adjustable feed I have one here. I think I cut the out scalar ring off for a project, but sure it would be perfectly usable.
 
If you need an adjustable feed I have one here. I think I cut the out scalar ring off for a project, but sure it would be perfectly usable.
20260928_115007.webp
 
If you need an adjustable feed I have one here. I think I cut the out scalar ring off for a project, but sure it would be perfectly usable.
Do you still have the scalar rings intact because that is the part I would find useful...since I already have suitable waveguide tubing ?
 
Do you still have the scalar rings intact because that is the part I would find useful...since I already have suitable waveguide tubing ?
Ooops jumped the gun there Scopus ..didn't see the pic immediately..
Yes those rings are the crucial bit.

If you're selling ....I'm buying...
pity about the loss of the outer ring ..but as you say will most likely be just fine.

I suspect it was originally an ADF120 with 4 rings.
lol
 
Last edited:
Ooops jumped the gun there Scopus ..didn't see the pic immediately..
Yes those rings are the crucial bit.

If you're selling ....I'm buying...
pity about the loss of the outer ring ..but as you say will most likely be just fine.
lol
You can have it with pleasure, can't see me needing it again. Postage and the cost of a cheap bottle of red will do me VS. PM me your address and I'll get it in the post.
 
Some pix of the feed tube in the LNB throat..
self supporting using hot snot as a temporary support medium.
This will be replaced with epoxy when testing is complete.
rgds
 

Attachments

  • P1010009.webp
    P1010009.webp
    818.4 KB · Views: 18
  • P1010010.webp
    P1010010.webp
    839.5 KB · Views: 17
  • P1010011.webp
    P1010011.webp
    792.9 KB · Views: 19
  • P1010012.webp
    P1010012.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
Simple question: what utility has the ability of receiving LOW symbol rates?
Just wondering,seeing the volume of answers to this thread.
 
Simple question: what utility has the ability of receiving LOW symbol rates?
Just wondering,seeing the volume of answers to this thread.
Definately Crazyscan in conjunction with the TBS6983 card...
I suspect other TBS cards will also comply though I cannot confirm this.
rgds
 
You can have it with pleasure, can't see me needing it again. Postage and the cost of a cheap bottle of red will do me VS. PM me your address and I'll get it in the post.
Bugger !

Forgot about the wine tax when I posted out
 
Bugger !

Forgot about the wine tax when I posted out
Paid my wine tax to Scopus Stephen....and am happy to pay it you also.
Just let me know what you want and where to send it.
:D
 
Get the reflector straightened first, then you can try both feeds side by side (well not side by side but you know what I mean)
 
Definately Crazyscan in conjunction with the TBS6983 card...
I suspect other TBS cards will also comply though I cannot confirm this.
rgds
Thank you very much,Viperskin!
and so...i need. the TBS6983 card? Connected to my computer... and the dish via cable to an FTA receiver? or a Linux one? Ok . What will I obtain in term of contents for the effort?
Just googled around...looks pretty complex. So my question,what s the reward in term of contents? Any examples?
 
Last edited:
The plastic adjustable spider arrived yesterday evening...so after some contemplation I formulated a plan of attack..
45 degree copper elbows...cut and shaped ...sadly only got one made before it clouded over and started to rain.
Still only take about 30 minutes each but at least I have a way forward now.
Time for tea and toast..
maybe I'll get to try again this afternoon.
The story so far in pictures..
 

Attachments

  • P1010014.webp
    P1010014.webp
    834.4 KB · Views: 15
  • P1010015.webp
    P1010015.webp
    706.4 KB · Views: 15
  • P1010016.webp
    P1010016.webp
    550.4 KB · Views: 16
  • P1010017.webp
    P1010017.webp
    430.5 KB · Views: 17
Thank you very much,Viperskin!
and so...i need a Linux receiver... and then download the crazyscan program. is that on the TBS6983 card? _______________________________ __________ Ok . What will I obtain in term of contents for the effort?
Or is it a kind of sport for itself?
Crazyscan also will require plugins ...such as TSreader and VLC ..
Crazyscan scans for transponders and locks on if sufficient signal strength...TS reader interprets the transponder contents if any found ...and VLC will display any video content found.
..and yes it is very much a 'sport'....
rgds and happy hunting.

I have no experience with Linux but it should work if you have the appropriate software versions....
I use windows
not out of choice it's what I know.
 
Back
Top