receiving english tele in poland

smokeyone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.1m dish + technomate 6800hd
My Location
Suffolk
Hello

I would value the forum opinion on whether it is worthwhile taking my old skybox (no subs)
to Poznan in Poland and connecting up either an 85cm or 1m dish to receive Astra 2a & 2b.
I know I cannot receive 2d without a giant dish so no BBC or ITV. Suppose I could receive
Skynews/BBC World news but cannot find much else. Any thoughts or suggestions please.
Movies4men on Eurobird sometimes has a decent film....
Thanks

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Personally I wouldn't bother, get yourself a different receiver, there are some nice, fairly cheap, HD receivers available, and the Sky box isn't much good for anything but Sky channels.

smokeyone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Suffolk
Thanks for the suggestion but what I am I likely to pick up
from astra 2a/2b or maybe eurobird....

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Whereabouts in Poland? Looking at reports from some parts of Poland, a 1.5 to 1.8m dish would get you some of the mainstream UK channels on vertical transponders _http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

Eurobird signals go well into Poland so no problem with an 85cm to 1m dish _http://www.eutelsat.com/satellites/285e_popd.html , as will most of the others, it's really only 2D that you cannot receive.

If you are going to have a good internet connection and have friends or relatives in the UK with a good broadband upload speed, you may want to consider a slingbox.

smokeyone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Suffolk
I have access to a holiday flat but with no telephone line so no internet connection. It's a small
town near Poznan a couple of hours from the German border. Sticking with a 1m dish any worthwhile
channels that I could pick up.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Get a FreeSatFromSky card and activate it while you are in the UK (if you haven't already got one or an expired white card). Then you can either access normally or manually tune in to ITV1, ITV1+1, Channel 4, Channel 4+1, and Channel 5. Plus you'll also get Fiver, Five USA, Pick TV, Pick TV+1, Viva, and more. I would think all receivable with an 80cm-1m dish in Poland as they are on Astra 2A/2B and not Astra 2D.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
smokeyone said:
I have access to a holiday flat but with no telephone line so no internet connection. It's a small
town near Poznan a couple of hours from the German border. Sticking with a 1m dish any worthwhile
channels that I could pick up.

My link shows what you can get with a 1m dish, pretty much everything but Astra 2D channels. From what you are saying, is this only a short term stay?

smokeyone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Suffolk
I visit about five times a year for around a week so it's not worth spending serious cash. However
I have the sky box already and was quoted for installing an 85cm dish around £45 inclusive plus
cable/clips/plugs etc - £45 incl the dish so not a big outlay.
I gather I need to purchase a sky card over here in the UK and then I can get ITV etc on Astra 2a/b.
Have I got this correct and thanks for the help....

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I'm assuming that you don't have an expired subscription card already, so yes, a Freesat from Sky card will enable access to the ITV versions which are not on Astra 2D, but they may not be in the EPG, it will depend on what region of ITV is allocated for your postcode. You will be able to find them in the "other channels" menu however.

See this page for the ITV regions not on 2D _http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/skyuk.html

smokeyone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Suffolk
Thanks very much for the advice. I have never had a Sky sub so will
have to order up a card from the Sky website. Seems the easiest/cheapest
option unless I had a giant dish - which is a no no....