Receiving Nilesat 7 w-Amos 4 w and -BADR 26 e in Gran Canaria on an 80cm dish

petediscrete

Regular Member
My Satellite Setup
mvision hd200 combo + Technomate 5400 Super+ technomate diseqc motor+ TD110 dish
My Location
Ireland and Gran Canaria
Being an English speaker if I am reading the Lyngsat footprints correctly I should be able to pickup the above satellites in Gran Canaria with an 80cm dish. I am currently pointing at 19 e which basically has only two English news channels.Any suggestions on other satellites that might be worth pointing at for English language viewing on an 80cm dish in Gran Canaria south.
 
Get aligned to either 7 W or 26E. Lots of free decent channels. Without a doubt it is a better option than Astra 19 for Free English speaking stuff.
 
Yes.I thought that.The only thing I will miss is a news channel.Most of the news channels on those sats are middle east based.Still trying to understand why Sky News International is encrypted though.Its not like anyone is going to record and distribute it.I suppose I could motorise but it would be a lot of hassle for very little extra.I doubt a second dish would be an option either.
 
On 7°W, there is CNN on 12073H. Sadly, it isn't one of the more powerful horizontal transponders and although I can catch some of the horizontals here in fine weather during the daytime, I have to wait until after dusk for that one to appear.

I don't know whether it would work on an 80cm dish in Gran Canaria but how about a monobloc, focussed on 7°W with the other lnb on Thor? 0.8°W has BBC World News on quite a strong transponder.
 
Thats an idea plus the fact that BBC World News doesn't encrypt their signal.Do you understand why a broadcaster would encrypt their news program particularly as Sky_ News International doesn't broadcast advertisements.The monobloc would be an ideal compromise between a motorised and two dish setup if I have enough signal fron an 80cm dish as you say.Should I expect the same level of signal from 26 e Badr as I would get from 7 w Nilesat down there.
 
I get roughly the same signal level here for both Nilesat and Badr, but without the Horizontal TP drop out that manifests itself on Nilesat. If you went for Badr you would gain MBC Persian in English but lose City7 (also in English) from Nilesat. However, you couldn't use a monobloc for Badr and Thor, as they are some 26° apart! I doubt you would even get Thor if you had a bracket/extra LNB arrangement as the dish surface is too small for such a wide spread.

I've no idea why Sly News encrypts, if I want to watch UK news I have my Freesat receiver on Astra 28° and can receive all the normal channels.
 
Think I will align to Badr 26 e for the moment as it seems to be adding quite a few new interesting fta channels recently and then go motorised with the 80cm.Planning in the communidad will probably prevent anything bigger and of course if the high winds are anything like last year its safer in the long run.19 e and 13 e would be great if I spoke German but that won't be anytime soon.
 
ypu can watch most of the english programs on arabsat on a 60cm in the islands,so 80cm is fine EXCELLLENT programmes
 
Back
Top