Receiving Sirius

Mothy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5400
Triax td88 with multiblock & 3 lnb's
My Location
Essex
Hi this is my first post and I'm hoping for some wise words to help me out.

I have been trying to set up a Triax TD88 with 3 lnb's to pick up Astra2, Hotbird & Sirius into a Tecnomate 5400 receiver. I realise that I am probably close to the limits of the dish but it seems from the forums that some of you guy's manage OK.

At present I have the dish centered on Hotbird (1st tried on Astra1), lnb on right side of multiblock & as close to centre as poss (facing dish) and pick up Astra2 on 28.2 from the 2nd lnb out on the extreme left of the multiblock. The 3rd lnb is on the right (facing dish) but I am unable to pick up sirius or anything else on this side.
Using dish pointer I can't see anything blocking the satellites around Sirius and if the dish can get from Astra2 to Hotbird I would have though that it should be able to get from Hotbird to Sirius but nothing appears?

The really strange thing to me is that with the cable connected to the Astra2 lnb (no diseqc) the Technomate shows 95% quality for Astra2 & also 95% quality for Sirius from the same lnb.
It seems that either my dish is strangly distorted or the Technomate is confused. I have tried a factory reset in case I'd messed up the settings but no change.
Any suggestions as to why I can't find anything to the right of the dish but appear to get both Astra2 & Sirius on the same lnb to the left? I'm getting really confused!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Try looking for the Ukrainian channels on 11767H 27500 3/4. They are nice an strong

You wont get any of the Nordic beam stuff on such an offset though - you would need the dish with the prime lnb on 5E to get them

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Mothy said:
Any suggestions as to why I can't find anything to the right of the dish but appear to get both Astra2 & Sirius on the same lnb to the left? I'm getting really confused!

You may not have the Sirius LNB in the optimum spot, and you may not have chosen a strong enough transponder.

A trick I use, when trying to find the best position for an offset LNB if having difficulty, is to remove the holder and LNB, and then hold the LNB in my hand, moving it about, until I find where it should go roughly.

Also, on the Triax multiblock, it works better sometimes if you turn the aluminium bar upside down, so that you can swivel it to a steeper angle.

As for the Astra 2 LNB, it will be picking up Astra 2/Eurobird1 only, if you are getting the Astra 2/Eurobird1 channels.

The dish is not distorted, the receiver is not confused. Your confusion is caused by you not understanding that the same frequencies are re-used again and again all around the satellite arc, which means, that if you point your dish at one satellite, and select a completely different one on the receiver, that uses the same tranponder details, the receiver will say it has a signal. But if you scan it, you will get only the channels from the satellite, the dish/LNB is actually pointing at.

Mothy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5400
Triax td88 with multiblock & 3 lnb's
My Location
Essex
Thanks guy's for help, now found Sirius and the Ukrainian channels which was what I was after all the time.

In my ignorance I had not realised the importance of selecting the transponder and had just stayed with the default #1 on the technomate. I was lucky with Astra2 & Hotbird but now understand that there are both Nordic & Europe beams on
Sirius and I was trying to find the Nordic beam without success.

Now I have just got to sort out the Diseqc, tidy up the cables, wrap the remote and that's the wifes Christmas present sorted just in time.

Credit due for a great forum as i have set up the system entirly from information gained within and without any prior knowledge.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
A good and timely outcome! :-MrsC

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Well done Mothy. Thanks for the update - enjoy your Christmas and hope the missus enjoys the new channels. :)

Make sure you have everything tuned in:

-http://en.kingofsat.net/find2.php?pos=&cl=&num_pays=76&num_genre=&num_crypt=&num_standard=&ordre=freq

The ones on the light beackground are the clear ones, and you should get most of the European beam channels