Reception in Malaga, Spain

Shaq-Fu

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I don’t really know a lot about satellites, but my father-in-law has a place in Spain on the south coast near Malaga and has a dish and sky box and free to view sky card. He just gets the basic channels e.g. BBC, ITV, C4 etc along with a load of cr*p channels.

What I was wondering is, without paying a monthly sky subscription (he only goes out there for holidays etc) is there anyway he could get more channels? I presume his dish is pointing to 19.2E as that is where Sky broadcast from? The dish is pretty big (maybe 1.5 – 2m) but I presume that is just so he can pick up the signal? Could he get another card or perhaps a cheap receiver to pick up anything else on that satellite? Or if not how easy would it be to install another LNB to pick up another satellite?

I would be grateful for any help you can give me.

Thanks in advance.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi,
His dish is pointing to Astra2/Eurobird at 28.2/28.5 degrees east, not Astra 1 at 19.2.

There is no way of getting extra channels over the FTA and FTV ones for FREE or without paying a monthly subscription to _Sky on that satellite.

Of course if its just for holidays a _Sky card from home can be taken on holiday for the extra channels.

Shaq-Fu

Reaction score
Cheers mate, so is there no way I can add another lnb and point it towards another satellite such as Eutelsat W2 - 16° E or hotbird?

Also I thought Sky cards were 'married' to their boxes, therefore we wouldnt be able to swap cards?

TIA

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
You may be able to add more LNBs for other satellites, but I have not answered that part of your question as I have no personal experience with it.
( I have a small motorised dish plus two fixed dishes)
In order to answer the question about additional LNBs people will need to know what type and make of dish you have and what other satellites you are after.

The dish sizes required for Astra1(19.2E) and Hotbird(13E) are relatively small over Europe and a 60cm would be fine for both of them.

For a multisat system however, a non-sky box is required, the _Sky box is only really any use on 28.2/28.5E.

There's not much English FTA on 19.2 and 13E so a patchable receiver or an official Card/Cam is required for anything decent. For a patched receiver it is necessary to have access to the internet to keep the system up and running.

As for 16E, I don't know much about that one apart from it carries the DigitalB package with English football I believe, with an official card. My dish is too small to get that sat here in the UK.

Yes _Sky cards are married to their boxes but not for the basic _Sky channels, only for the movies and sports.