Reception of 19.2E / 28.2E and 13E in London under heavy rain

Bamboccio

Member
Hello,

Under this heavy rain in London I have pretty much lost everything. I wonder if others still have some signal on any of the satellites above.

Thanks!
 
It's not surprising to lose all signal in the heaviest rain when using small dishes and offset LNBs. My offset 19.2E LNB on a Sky zone 2 dish is OK in light rain but any heavier and channels start to disappear.
 
What size dish?
No problems here in Oxford on 80cm
No problems in W. London with the Astra 2 Zone 2 for Sky UK unless it is absolutely "torrenting" down - and most of the other "high signal strength" sats are probably OK (if I bother to look!) on the fixed dishes, and certainly on the steerable ones.

Therefore I do wonder if your dish(es?) is correctly aligned and "peaked"??
 
Zone 1 dish OK here in torrential rain for 28.2°E
Zone 2 dish OK here in torrential rain for 19.2°E

I have tried 4 Lnb's in the past for 28.2°E,19.2°E,13°E & 4.8°E with a Raven 88cm Mesh dish no signal problems in rain,
I have since motorised the 88cm dish 53°E to 45°W.
 
Hello,

Under this heavy rain in London I have pretty much lost everything. I wonder if others still have some signal on any of the satellites above.

Thanks!
Welll water absorbs the frequencies used by the satellite downlinks, However a well set up dish should only lose signal lock in the heaviest downpours. Maybe 2 or 3 times a year - (plus you can lose signal in heavy snow when the snow builds up on the arm & around the lnb face - especially the very wet snow we often get in the uk.)
 
It's usually not the heavy rain, that causes signal losses, but thunderclouds. Tonight I just lost everything for a about 15 to 20 minutes during a thunderstorm. The same happened a few days ago.

Fuba 85 cm
 
A few years ago I had various channels disappearing off my system. I did all the usual checks (lnb & dish alignment were all ok), so I started checking the cables. One of them had a failed join so I unhooked the bad section at the dish - and watched in absolute amazement as a pint or so of rainwater ran out the end of the cable!

The water was attenuating the signals running inside the cable!
 
I lost some channels on Astra 2, with the 80cm steerable for around 15 minutes, however the rain on Monday afternoon was exceptional, as were the local lightning strikes, three which were within half a mile from the house. I disconnected the dish from the inside once the worst was within a mile of us.


Whatever happened to common sense ?
 
We shall find out next Monday .......
????? - weather forcast for NEXT Monday "down 'ere" is 23C &"wall-to-wall sunshine":confused
OTOH, weather on Sunday LAST was "not good"!
 
One cure (almost) for rain/snow fade...Double or triple the size of the dish. Several tons of water vapor/ice crystals between the dish and satellite doesn't help.
 
No problems in W. London with the Astra 2 Zone 2 for Sky UK unless it is absolutely "torrenting" down - and most of the other "high signal strength" sats are probably OK (if I bother to look!) on the fixed dishes, and certainly on the steerable ones.

Therefore I do wonder if your dish(es?) is correctly aligned and "peaked"??
Thank you. I have a 60 cm dual feed 13 hotbird and 19.2 astra + a zone 1 28 astra. I spent quite a bit of time fixing the skew of the LNBs of the dual feed with the help of the forum but the alignment could possibly be not optimal. I also usually do not have problems and that day it was torrenting down indeed.
 
I wonder if it was some bird sitting on the LNB but it is too strange that it went off and back on a couple of times. Weather permitting I will check the dish tomorrow.
 
You don't just lose signal, when you can see it raining, you can also lose signal due to rain, or other obstuctions, between your dish, and the satellite. You can reduce this problem, by getting the maximum signal, from the satellite, by peaking the signal, getting a bigger dish, or better quality cable, and LNB, both of which can deteriorate, over time.
What are your signal quality readings, at various times of the day, week, month, during different weather conditions?
 
Back
Top