Reception?

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
Ok maybe i got it all wrong... but i thought DAB was supposed to be clearer etc?

the reception is terrible!! its breaking up all the time... FM is miles better :(

although i like listening to Kerrang and Planet Rock, which obviously dont broadcast on FM.

is there something wrong with my radio, or does everyone find the reception poor?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I had a small flirtation with DAB a few years back and bought a Wavefinder receiver for my PC, but reception was patchy (even with a roof antenna) and the software was garbage, so gave up.

Have listened to DAB radio where reception is good and still not impressed with the quality.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The bit rates have been squeezed too far by greedy mux owners putting too many stations on.

http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/

makes interesting if depressing reading

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
IMHO only fit for cheap portables (if you can find one). I have a (comparatively) cheap Alba DAB/FM portable and it eats batteries up alarmingly on DAB, so I anchor it to the mains mostly - so much for portability :mad:

Irritatingly, it'll be redundant anyway when they change the codec to AAC+ in the near future.

Llew

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
i bought my portable for use at work... its a Proline DAB/FM that only cost £40, question is does a more expensive one get a better reception?

probably not... looks like us few that have tried DAB are not too impressed then.

pity, it sounds good in theory :(

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Comments on other forum seem to indicate DAB only works well if you have an outside aerial.

However with the nearest DAB transmitter 40 miles from here, residents of the Scottish Borders have never had the chance to hear the extra stations....

(so why do Tesco, Aasda, Currys etc still sell the sets??)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
They're probably all returned stock from disappointed customers :-rofl2

Llew

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Analoguesat said:
(so why do Tesco, Aasda, Currys etc still sell the sets??)
Silly boy - to make money!

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110 with multi LNB 28.5E, 23.5E, 19E, 13E Inverto Black Ultra's (Black Premium on 28.5) into multiswitch. VU+ Duo. Emitor Satlook Lite meter.(Retired: Technomate 1500CI+, Moteck DG2100 DisEqC Motor, Metronic 85cm Clear Dish, Invacom 0.3db LNB
My Location
UK
RedDevil_UK said:
Ok maybe i got it all wrong... but i thought DAB was supposed to be clearer etc?

the reception is terrible!! its breaking up all the time... FM is miles better :(

although i like listening to Kerrang and Planet Rock, which obviously dont broadcast on FM.

is there something wrong with my radio, or does everyone find the reception poor?

I think you need a better signal.

I am a great fan of DAB, as I used to have a nice Pioneer DAB tuner in my car (it attached to the radio like a CD changer, sold now with the audio) and Planet Rock was just great for driving around. This was a few years ago though, and I know they have messed around with bit rates since the early days.

I actually just bought a DAB radio for the house again, finally. Years ago unless you were in London you had no choice but to get an external aerial. I am based south of Reading so not that close to any of the transmitters and I found I got great reception with the piece of string aerial it came with.

I actually tried putting in a co-ax feed from my tv/fm aerial on the roof and this works well as well (90% signal).

I don't think you need to buy a new unit though, have you tried to experiment? If the box you have has an external aerial try wrapping the middle core of a piece of coax of about 6ft (2m) round the end.

We bought my sister a DAB radio for xmas and after messing around in Comet for a while I did notice that the cheapest units are not as good with reception as the more expensive Pure models for example.

On the whole DAB vs FM issue... I think it depends. Planet Rock is great and not on FM so that sounds better... and stations like Classic FM (if you go for that sort of thing) are better on DAB as there is no background hiss. Definetly a lot more choice on DAB... although I would concede that Magic on FM and DAB sounds better on FM.

Paul

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
i was working in Aberdeen on a hotel, and found that on higher floors i could get a signal if the radio was on the window sill. when on the wrongside of the building or inside away from the window... it lost the station :(