Recorder SCART Connection Problem

C.ARMSTROMG

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky dish with st freebox computer is dell dimention3100 with xp home
My Location
west yorkshire
how do i connect my wharfedale dtr to my freesat standard box with i scart,then to my tv thanks:)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
How many Scarts do the Recorder and the TV have?

C.ARMSTROMG

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
west yorkshire
tv has two and recorder has 2 satbox 1 scarts

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ok, then connect the Freesat SCART to one SCART of the Recorder and connect the other Recorder SCART to the TV.

This is called "daisy chaining". You may have to swop the two Recorder SCARTS to make sure it all works, but one of the two possible configurations should.

C.ARMSTROMG

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
west yorkshire
Hi thanks for the info because the conection from the dish to freesat box is not a aerial the picture was not very good i have connected a inside aerial and all work ok do you think that because my freesat box is only standard one and i can record from my freeview rec or freeview tv the sat box seems pointless im a bit new to all this thanks again cris

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I'm confused.

The Wharfedale dtr is a terrestrial receiver with a hard disc for recording onto. It needs an ordinary TV aerial to work.

The Freesat box is a satellite receiver. From your description it has no recording facilities. It needs a satellite dish pointed at the correct satellite to work.

You cannot record programmes off the Freesat box onto the Wharfdale, the Wharfedale's not built to do that.

The daisychaining is simply so that you can watch either unit on your TV without having to unplug one or the other devices. But if the TV has two scart sockets why aren't you connecting the two receivers to a scart socket apiece?

C.ARMSTROMG

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
west yorkshire
the point i was making was that in the bedroom were the tv &sat box are,i do not have an areial connection just the cable that runs into my sat box which is connected to my tv hence just the freesat signal,

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Well I'n still a bit confused. Are you saying that the Freeview PVR (Wharfedale) is in a different room to where the TV and the Freesat box are?

C.ARMSTROMG

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
west yorkshire
hi no the same room i did not know i needed an roof aerial for the recorder i thought i could just connect it to the satbox i think i now get the swing of things thanks

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yes, just to confirm, the Freeview box will be useless without a TV aerial. Have you tried an indoor aerial for it? With the new digital channels you may be in a strong signal area and that may be enough. Or, you could run an extension lead from the other room for the aerial!

Incidentally, there are Freeview PVRs that will do what you want with recording from an external source. Sony certainly make some.

C.ARMSTROMG

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
west yorkshire
hi i tried an inside aerial and it works fine just now and again the picture goes a bit funny,i think i will do what you suggested and try and connect it to tv in other bedroom,thanks for your help, as i am only a novice i am learning fast,cris