Recording from Sky

Catwoman

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible to use any DVD recorder with hard disk to record programs from Sky or is it only possible with a Sky+ box? I live outside of the UK and Sky+ doesn't seem to be an option for me due to it "calling home". I presently have a Sky FTV card with a Sony digibox (not obtained from Sky themselves) but am looking at getting a full sub through contacts in the UK. I would really like to have the possibility to record the programs though.

Catwoman

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You should be able to record most programmes, but you may struggle on some of the film channels due to macrovision anti record feature..

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
depending which country you are in,there are local dealers who can sort out skyplus without phone line.If you are an existing subscriber then you can upgrade to a sky plus box.You just call sky and tell them you bought the box from ebay or something and they will transfer your card to the skyplus box.If you have had your sky for more than a year you can disconnect from the phone line.but you will need a twin lnb and two cables going to your box,and to be subscribing to any premier channel(movies or sports)or pay 10 pounds extra.as for recording,i think its only the movies that have a protection system against recording but that was for videos,it might be okay on dvd,but there was a gadget on the market for bypassing this.think it was called macrovision buster.look in what satellite tv magazine.you can also purchase a re-dialler that can call sky from your digibox.

Catwoman

Reaction score
zorba said:
depending which country you are in,there are local dealers who can sort out skyplus without phone line.If you are an existing subscriber then you can upgrade to a sky plus box.You just call sky and tell them you bought the box from ebay or something and they will transfer your card to the skyplus box.If you have had your sky for more than a year you can disconnect from the phone line.but you will need a twin lnb and two cables going to your box,and to be subscribing to any premier channel(movies or sports)or pay 10 pounds extra.as for recording,i think its only the movies that have a protection system against recording but that was for videos,it might be okay on dvd,but there was a gadget on the market for bypassing this.think it was called macrovision buster.look in what satellite tv magazine.you can also purchase a re-dialler that can call sky from your digibox.
Thanks for the info. I've looked at a redialler from GermanSky.com but it says it's not suitable for ISDN phone lines, which we have unfortunately. I live in the Netherlands and have had an FTV card (formerly from the BBC) since mid 2002 but my digibox has never been connected to the phone line. I am now interested in getting just the Sky Family pack without any premium channels.

We tried out a Pioneer DVD recorder with 60 gig hard disk a few weeks ago but couldn't get it to record off Sky, only the Dutch cable TV. I don't know if the reason was that it wasn't connected properly or that it's only possible to record from Sky with a Sky+ box.

If anybody outside of the UK has got a Sky+ box to work properly, I would be interested to know how they did it. I could buy the Sky+ box from an independent retailler in the UK but would not want to do that unless I was sure it was going to work.

Catwoman

Doeze

Reaction score
I also live in the netherlands and have hooked up the digibox to my video with line 1 or 2 in, and it works fine, I think the same would be for dvd recorder (as I to are looking at buying a dvd recorder )
Doeze

karill

Reaction score
Hi Catwoman vbmenu_register("postmenu_149416", true);

I have find out that this combination should work. DVDR740/02 + Panasonic DSB30 Sky digibox.

According to Guide Plus+ home page the DSB30 works with guide plus+.
http://www.europe.guideplus.com/index.html

I have already orderd this DVD Recorder and the DSB30, just because they should work together.

Best regards
Karill