Recording Problems with Humax Foxsat HDR

A

archive10

PaulR said:
Tivù may well be correct. Try this first to eliminate as much as possible (in the absence of the $ly+ box to compare against).

Connect just one of the satellite feeds to LNB1-in and do a full reset. Then try the other satellite feed on LNB1-in and do a full reset. If both of these carry through (obviously just showing a single input) then both feeds are working. If you have a short lead to connect LNB1-out to LNB2-in for both tests then this would be an advantage.

Maggie1949: It seems you are already very thorough in testing, but it may be worth asking you this:

There are three F-connectors on the back of the FoxSat, the middle one is NOT for connecting LNB cable, it is an output replicating the first LNB connection.
Can you confirm that the cables coming from the dish are screwed on to the left-most and the right-most of the connectors?

A

archive10

maggie1949 said:
First time i tried a recording the words LNB Short came up whilst the channel was recording.

Could be indicator that there is either a problem in the cables, or in the box itself. Sounds more like it's the cables somehow. But it could be in the box.

maggie1949

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Originally sky satellite. Commputer Talk talk
My Location
Princes Risborough
The cables are definately in correct, i have not put a cable in the middle.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
The cable that gives the message "LNB short" has a short circuit somewhere between the centre core and the outer braid. As the whole system was working before with the $ly+ box then the most likely place for the fault is on the plug that screws onto the Humax.

Look VERY closely inside the plug. The centre core should be straight and dead centre. Has it been bent over inside the plug? Look also at the whispy outer braid. It only needs ONE almost invisible strand touching the centre core to cause this type of problem.

A

archive10

maggie1949 said:
The cables are definately in correct, i have not put a cable in the middle.
Ok, it was worth checking.

(Incidentally, that's what the short "extra" cable in the box is for: If you have only one feed, you connect the loop-through from the middle F-connector to the input connector for LNB-2. This allows both tuners to see the LNB. When doing the system reset, the "Single Cable" configuration is detected. You can then watch or record two programmes from the same "set" of channels (e.g. same polarisation and Lo/hi setting.)

A

archive10

maggie1949 said:
I have done factory reset. It recognises the satalitte shows how it should be attached to the Humax Box, which is correct. It does however put in brackets (one cable). Does this therefore mean that there is no recognition with both the cables?

As the cable was put in by previous owner/user, can you just confirm that there is actually a dual LNB in front of your dish?
Some enterprising people have been seen to split the cable from a single LNB eletrically, which is wrong but may work with some set-ups (e.g. two boxes looking at the same channel).
Just check if there is two cable coming directly out of the LNB.
If in doubt, post pictures, it will make it easier for forum members to help.

maggie1949

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Originally sky satellite. Commputer Talk talk
My Location
Princes Risborough
Many thanks, for all advice i think that it is working. I looked inside the plug and the point of contact was bent, it was even broken. So i cut it back to a new piece of wire reset it and i am pretty hopeful that that was the problem. Reset showed that there are now two cables.
Very grateful for all the help received i shall give it a good test tonight and hope that i do nt have to come back to you.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sounds like you've got the problem licked Maggie.

Happy viewing (and recording).

A

archive10

maggie1949 said:
Many thanks, for all advice i think that it is working. I looked inside the plug and the point of contact was bent, it was even broken. So i cut it back to a new piece of wire reset it and i am pretty hopeful that that was the problem. Reset showed that there are now two cables.
Very grateful for all the help received i shall give it a good test tonight and hope that i do nt have to come back to you.

Great to hear you got system working, and didn't have to return the box or anything.

(And kudos to PaulR for pointing out the solution - my old friend Lars used to say about fault finding "it's always the connectors, but if not the connectors then it's the cable, and if not the cable, you probably can't fix it yourself.")

Happy viewing!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Nice result.

Sorry to note that my friend st1 missed Post #10 ................................. :cool:

A

archive10

Tivù said:
Sorry to note that my friend st1 missed Post #10 ................................. :cool:

Oh dear. Sorry it was Tivü who posted the solution. Sorry :-ohcrap

A

archive10

st1 said:
Oh dear. Sorry it was Tivü who posted the solution. Sorry :-ohcrap

But, hey, with such experts as regulars on the forum, it's sometimes difficult to keep from being blinded by the wisdom being generously spread :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I was only teasing: PaulR is the Freesat guru - I'm just a latecomer to the party.

And you're not so shabby on the "expert" stuff yourself :D:)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location