Ref : Conax Terrestrial Help Needed....

Bountykiller

Reaction score
Hey guys...

I am not in the UK, but I do have a question... Where I am, we now have a new service that uses digital terrestrial signals. I opened up a box today for the service to check it out. It is a "Topfield" (www.topfield.co.kr) TF3000CT receiver... I did some reading and I know it uses conax encyption and has an embedded SC on it. I know Conax has been h@cked now. What do i need exactly to make my own box? Can someone please suggest a unit to get for terrestrial digital service? I believe i need a receiver (i am unsure of which one to get, and it cant be PAL, i need NTSC) and I think it should take a matrix cam with a titanium card in the cam if I am not mistaken? I am totally new to this system and need some help. With conax, are there any decryption keys? If so, what cam/card combo will autoroll these keys? I do not wish to be inputting them all the time. If i do have to do this, how would I go about getting the current key? Any help that I could get would be greatly appreciated. I am sure the existing unit could be jtagged, but I doubt the smartcard chip can simply be dumped.... Will a FTA receiver work or would it have the wrong tuner in it? I assume that terrestrial service runs on digital UHF? Anyways, I know my thoughts are somewhat confused, but I cant seem to find a similar setup anywhere else thats been h@cked
smile.gif
I dont want to purchase the wrong stuff!

-Bountykiller

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Hi

Ypu will need to find out which format the transmissions are in before splashing out on a set top box

Frequencies, bandwidth of signals and the DVB spec are important - 8psk, 16QAM and 64QAM can be used, or a combination in terrestrial broadcasts.

The Conditional Access is useful with a separate CAM , but there are many types of Conax out there, not all CAMs will be compatible with the variants

Bountykiller

Reaction score
Is there any easy well to tell which format it uses for encyption...? Can you give me any suggestions on how to find this sort of info? This is the info from the ACTUAL unit...

Tuner & Channel DecoderInput/Loop through Connector75¥Ø, IEC 169-2, Female/MaleFrequency Range50 ~ 870MHzSignal Level Input-78 ~ -20dBmModulationOFDMCarrier Mode2k and 8k hierarchical/non-hierarchicalConstellationQPSK, 16 and 64 QAMGuard Interval1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32MPEG Transport Stream A/V DecodingTransport StreamISO/IEC 13818-1 MPEG-2Profile LevelMPEG-2 Main Profile @ Main LevelAspect Ratio4:3, 16:9, Pan & scan, LetterboxVideo Resolution720¡¿576Audio DecodingMPEG-1 Layer 1&2Main SystemMain ProcessorPowerPCMemory

Flash-ROM : 1MB
RAM : 8MB
EEPROM : 2KbA/V & Data In/OutTV-ScartVideo CVBS/S-VIDEO/RGB output
Audio L/R outputVCR-ScartVideo CVBS output
Audio L/R output
Video CVBS/S-VIDEO/RGB input for bypass
Audio L/R input for bypassS/PDIFDigital audio or Dolby AC-3 bitstream outputRCA A/VVideo CVBS output
Audio L/R outputFront Panel3 KeysCH -/+, STANDBY3 LEDsEXT, REMOTE, STANDBYRCU27 KeysConditional Access InterfaceSmart CardCONAX Embedded.Power SupplyInput Voltage90 ~ 250VAC, 50/60HzTypeSMPSPower ConsumptionRunning : Max. 30W, Standby : 8WProtection
Separate internal fuse.
The input shall have lightning protectionPhysical SpecificationSize (W¡¿H¡¿D)260 x 54 x 185mmWeight (Net)1.5 kg

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The country of the broadcast and the provider would be a start

Bountykiller

Reaction score
Hmm.. Well... I dont know how helpful that will be, im likely to be the only one you will come across but here goes! :) It is in Bermuda, and the provider is "World On Wireless." www.wow.bm . These guys are themselves crooks (not an uneducated comment as i have spoken personally to one of their execs) and the simply steal Us Dishnetwork and Canadian Bell Expressvu and rebroadcast it (local law prohibs this from being illegal SOMEHOW! Not to mention that you cant legally rebroadcast unless you are in these countries anyways...) Anywho, thats not here nor there in this cause... I would like to get a box up and running for them. I know their entire service is obviously NTSC as it is North American as are all the tv's here. As far as the compression method goes, I dont know what type they use, but I would love to try to find out. As mentioned, the box they use only supports QPSK, 16 and 64 QAM. I would need to know how to get the keys etc, unless of course any of these cam programs roll them automatically? I do not know.. I am usually a nagravision guy, i know very little about conax, but i am willing (and able) to understand given some help.

I hope this helps you some... ?

-Bounty

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
If its terrestrial and Conax , then the only way to receive it would be via a terrestrial box able to catch the right frequencies, and with embedded decryption or a PCMCIA slot

Next questions - do you know if its VHF or UHF ?, and if any of the broadcasts from them are free to air (for initial testing )

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia

Bountykiller

Reaction score
WOW is NOT a cable operator thank you.. :) (I read the article) I live in Bermuda and have one of the boxxes... it is Digital Terrestrial using Conax thanks (they typod to put cable in.. they use *NO* cables. I could show you the antannae they use, I'm seeing them go up all over the place :) heh If you would like pictures to proove it by all means.. I took pictures of the box and the board etc already!... Bermuda is not a US or canadian territory. IT is its own island in the middle of the Atlantic. ;) Yes, keys will be hard to come by I am sure, but... If I coudl get help on how to GET keys, that would be useful... First off, what box do I need, assuming I can get the keys... One person told me they come by and enter some sort of number when the installer sets it up... ? Does it need some sort of seed key or something?! I know nothing about conax, but I would love for someone to show me what terrestrial digital boxxes there are out there that i can run a conax hack on... If all i need to get is the keys.. thats a seperate issue and I would love for someone in the know to help me out on how i can pull those keys from the legit receivers... I am sure i could jtag the tsop on there, but that isnt likely to hold that key, the SC chip would.... Also that article makes me laugh as it makes them sound like a legit business. Wow are crooks themselves and illegally rebroadcast using hacked dishnetwork 6000 model receivers, sold to them by two Canadian crooks!!! (i will leave their names out even though i DO know of them!)

anyways here is the clip that must have made you think it is a cable operator which is incorrect... after all how can a system be a "UHF CABLE" system?!? It is A or B only! :)

"World On Wireless Ltd. will provide a broad range of television channels from US, Canada and Europe using a UHF Wireless Cable System. WOW owns Bermuda’s exclusive UHF Wireless Cable System license to provide TV channels of digital subscription television and the required capacity for two-way communications for high-speed Internet, data and telephony to all residences and businesses."

-Bountykiller

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Sorry Bountykiller, DVB-T via UHF it is.

Can't find TF3000CT, but there's a TF3000COT that seems OK,it has switchable PAL/NTSC (depends on which system the "cable" operator uses).

Incidentally with only a comparatively small number of subscribers, I expect there won't be much activity trying to decrypt Conax keys. Good luck.

Llew

Bountykiller

Reaction score
I guess that is what I am looking for more or less.. I would love to know HOW one goes about decrypting the conax keys. Well i Do know that I could simply buy the exact DVB-T receiver, I dont know how much good that would do... unless of course.. it is just a matter of finding the keys and inputting them!

Could anyone offer me help on how one goes about decrypting these keys? Does *ANY* software roll these automatically?

-Bounty

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Bermuda on my chart of transmissions states NTSC - 4.5MHz audio spacing, 6 MHz carrier bandwidth, FM modulated (though this could be old data)

If it is UHF then the most likely route to success would be with one of the Aiwa or Bush IDTVs (they are able to resolve NTSC transmissions , AND have a VHF UHF tuner) with active CI slot and dedicated CAM .

A bit big to stick in the luggage though

threestate

Reaction score
Hmm, trying to hack wow huh? I think i know who you are. good luck with that, you might be able to. but the island is small enough that the encryption gets changed regularly. so sorry to say (well, not really sorry) but you efforts will be a waste of time

rapido

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm
My Location
Hertfordshire
Bountykiller said:
These guys are themselves crooks (not an uneducated comment as i have spoken personally to one of their execs) and the simply steal Us Dishnetwork and Canadian Bell Expressvu and rebroadcast it (local law prohibs this from being illegal SOMEHOW! Not to mention that you cant legally rebroadcast unless you are in these countries anyways...)

Just like ZFB, ZBM and VSB just seem to rebroadcast New York ABC, CBS and NBC affiliates without permission!

Did you ever find out any way to get WOW for free? Wouldn't it just be easier to somehow link your TV to one of the overhead cables (or a neighbour's cable)? Or is cable TV no longer provided in analogue?

BTW, my aunt is married to a Bermudian and has lived there for twenty years, so I go there for a visit every 3 years or so. That might explain my local knowledge a little :-)

-rapido