Reliable PVR-Ready Sat Reciever?

DarkDeveloper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m Hotbird + 90cm Nilesat dishes. Comag SL100HD CI/MVision MV-9085 USB Net receivers, Windows 7 WMC PC with Pinnacle PCTV 3010x + FloppyDTV
My Location
Middle East
Hi all, I’m after a bit of advice.

I have a legit card and cam for some, ahem, channels on Hotbird which I frequently want to record from. ;-)

I use a PVR-Ready sat receiver, record to usb hard drive and then convert the recordings (to DivX) for playback on my Windows 7 MC PC.

In the past, i’ve used an MVision MV-9085 (a pain to convert the proprietary .irm files...) and a Comag SL100HD receiver (records in a more PC friendly format, but even with the latest firmware, it frequently crashes when recording, losing the recording...)

So to cut a long story short, I am after a new PVR ready Sat receiver with a CI slot (x2), PC friendly recording format (i.e. not a 3 stage process like the MVision) and reliable (i.e. crash free!)

I was thinking of getting one of those Technomate TM 5400 CI+ USB SUPER receivers off eBay and was wondering if that would fit my bill?

I know it only has one CI slot, but the main criteria is the ability to record scrambled channels to hard drive (preferably with the encryption stripped out of the recording), and most importantly, to record reliably.

Would the 5400 CI+ Super be able to do this?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Why not just buy a DVD recorder and a SCART lead ?

DarkDeveloper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m Hotbird + 90cm Nilesat dishes. Comag SL100HD CI/MVision MV-9085 USB Net receivers, Windows 7 WMC PC with Pinnacle PCTV 3010x + FloppyDTV
My Location
Middle East
Because then I end up with a sqillion DVD-R's which I will still want to convert into DivX videos (as DivX files take up less room per disk compared with the original Mpeg2 recordings)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
No you wouldn't.

Record onto DVD-RW, transfer to the PC hard drive (and convert at the same time), then re-record on the used disc.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
DarkDeveloper said:
Would the 5400 CI+ Super be able to do this?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Yes, I think it would, though I mainly use the TM6800 and don't get failed recordings. The TM6800 has two CAM slots, is a HD receiver, but more expensive.

DarkDeveloper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Middle East
OK, Thanks, I will investigate!

Robbo said:
Yes, I think it would, though I mainly use the TM6800 and don't get failed recordings. The TM6800 has two CAM slots, is a HD receiver, but more expensive.