Remote Control problems

Nickle

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon
My Location
UK
I only had my TD for about a month. Both on the previous image (March) and the current TDMAN_10a image I have a problem where the TD stops responding to the remote control after about half a dozen keypresses. All th ebuttons stop working including on/off.

Makes it hard for moving down favourites etc. the controls on the front of the TD itself work OK and quite often pressing exit button on the front then makes the remote work for a while again.

When it has locked up, the red light flashes on the TD when a button is pressed on the remote but nothing happens.

Any ideas or is it a hardware problem.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
I seem to recall that the TD has been known to react to RC commands from other devices e.g. TV, DVD remote controls.

Does the RC LED on the TD flash when you use another handset?

Llew

Nickle

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon
My Location
UK
Have gone through all remotes and no visible reaction from TD. Then picked up TD remote:
Pressed MENU - which worked
Pressed Maintain Lists - which worked
Pressed DOWN - no more response to remote at all

Am trying to dig up TD manual to work out how to change remote channel in case that helps...

Back in a bit

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
In System Setup - More System Setup - Remote Control Configuration you can adjust frequency and/or repetition rate, suppose you could try different values.

Llew

Nickle

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon
My Location
UK
Changed the remote channel from 0 to 2 and no difference. The frequency setting is basically tied to the 'play a tone' setting above it, i.e. it configures the sound to make when you press a button. Tried it with and without confirmation beep. no difference.

Don't think thats the problem though. It seems to get stuck at certain points. For example when trying to set the nas device IP address I can use the remote to get to entering the IP address but it stops working on pressing the 1 key to enter the first digit. Only way to free it is to press EXIT on the front of the TD. This will be repeatable 10 times o more. Will work fine up to that point and no further.
Similarly, wanting to delete a favourite, it works fine up to the point of pressing RED to confirm or BLUE to cancel. It stops at that point and no further. Again repeatable over and over. Only way out is to press EXIT on front of TD.

Therefore I don't think it's the remote as it wouldn't stick at the same point over and over would it?

Geally getting annoyed now! 'O'-red

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Don't suppose you have a Plasma TV? These are known to radtate IR interference.

In the possible chance that you do have one, bringing up certain menus (i.e. the IP address field in the TD menu), the plasma radiation may be at its strongest, hence shutting off RC commands to your TD.

Just a thought.

Llew

Nickle

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon
My Location
UK
Yes I have a Hitachi 4300 42" plasma. The TD is directly below it. I will give it a try to move / shield the TD.

However I am a little sceptical in that

(a) nothing else has ever been affected - unless the TD IR receiver is particularly senstive or the Linux driver is susceptable to noise.
(b)Although the TD is below the plasma it is probaly 12" away and the front of the TD is probably at the same level as the front of the screen if not slightly behind it
(c) The point at which it sticks is so very repeatable. e.g. when deleting a favourite I can move the cursor up and down the screen several times, then press YELLOW (I think) to delete an item and its at that point each and every time that it seizes up and I'm unable to press RED to confirm or BLUE to cancel. However, every time if I press EXIT on the front of the box I can then carry on using the remote until again I try and delete something.

It all just doesn't ring true. However, having said that I probably so setting my self up for egg on face!:-doh!

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
At the risk of having the same conversation on two boards

Yes, I happened to be on the other one when I pointed to the RC query on the official site (happen to have a different U/N on JKF's :-doh2 )

Regarding the IR receiver in the TD, yes maybe it is more prone to noise pickup than other STB's.

Strange indeed that you lock up on particular key presses. Maybe specific RC trains sent by the remote are more susceptible to the interference?

Anyway, try the 'hideaway' method and see what happens.

Llew

ickabob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M MultiLNB 13 16 19.2 E & 45CM @ 30 W
Triple Dragon+80HDD TDMan 9a STD with Gbox 2.1b
Skystar 2 PCI Card ProgDVB & Gbox 2.25
Duolabs CAS3
5030 Unlooper Modificado
D+ Mosc

Desktop
Dual-Boot Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit & Windows XP P
My Location
Spain
I had the same problem, I don't know if you have a plasma TV but here is some solution if you do
First put the TD away from plasma.Plasma panels emits ir rays apprx. 150 degree angle to left right and up and down direction.If you have tv stand with closed cabinet put TD inside of it.If you have not ,cut the small piece of cd case ( this is a polycarbonat material and rejects the uv beams in very wide range) then put this smale piece to the front of TDs ir receptor led at front panel.If you are experience on electronic device , best way is to put that part inside of the TD case but you ll have to demount front panel.
Hope that can fix your problem

Nickle

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon
My Location
UK
OK, I'm submitting on this. I HAD

PLASMA
====== < top of unit
Triple Dragon
PLasma multimedia connect box
SKYplus box
======= < bottom of unit

And have now changed it to .....

PLASMA
======= < top of unit
Plasma connect box
SKYplus box
Triple Dragon
======== < bottom of unit

..... and it now works.

You guys win, it's radiation from the plasma...

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Glad to hear you finally sorted it :)

The question is - is the radiation interfering with the IR transmitted from the remote, or is it picked up by the IR receiver in the TD :confused

Glad I got an LCD display O-Ha

Llew

glynnn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
just got my 50&quot; samsung plasma tv, and have interference
My Location
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
have just got me new 50" plasma,samsung..

right got it on my glass stand, with 2 shelf's
below is the vcr/dvd combi,
on the last glass shelf is the sky box.

when the sky channels are on, we have terrible interferance with the channels going off and the picture jumping around the screen,COULD DO WITH SOME GOOD ADVICE, AS IM STUCK ON WHAT TO DO.as said only on the sky channels
please help

regards

glyn