Resetting Sky+

Aimster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
North West UK
I have had problems with sound for ages, and it only seeems to be Channel 4 and E4 that get affected. Has anyone else noticed this, and is this a software fault?

I know there are 2 different resets you can do, one that wont lose all programs recorded and one that wipes everything. Unfortunately with stuff I dont want to lose, how do I clean the system first so I can actually watch the stuff?

Thnx, Aims

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you are suffering on playback, then often it is only the full system reset which makes a difference, sometimes a reboot by switching off at the mains will cure a minor problem.

Aimster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
North West UK
How do I do it?

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
Warning, this will clear the contents of your Hard Disk!!

unplug the digibox from the mains power. Press and hold the 'left' and 'right' navigation buttons on the front of the digibox whilst you plug it back into the mains.
Continue holding the buttons in for about 20 seconds, and when the ring of light on the front comes on, press the 'select' button on the front of the digibox (between the left and right buttons you were holding).
The Sky+ recording logo lights will spin backwards and, according to the Sky engineer, this will "clear the hard drive".

Once this is done, unplug the digibox from the mains power again and this time press and hold the 'back up' button whilst you plug it back into the mains power.
Continue holding it for about 15 seconds until 3 lights on the front of the box come on and you get a full-screen message saying "Updating system software. Do not disconnect mains supply or satellite dish."
Leave the digibox doing its thing for about 10 minutes and it should be fixed! Try pausing and recording things again... hopefully you've just saved yourself £65 (price of an engineer callout).

If you've not been so lucky, call Sky but remember that if they try to charge you for an engineer callout, just ask to cancel your subscription and they should offer you a free callout to fix the problem - you're more valuable to them as a paying customer than the cost of an engineer callout.

Aimster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
North West UK
Thanks for this, have an engineer coming out next week, at the bargain price of £0.

What gets me more is that to upgrade to the newer box (mine is almost 2 years old) they want £199 plus £65 installation! Where a new customer will get an new box for £89 plus free installation.

Lucky the account is in my maiden name then...

Amy

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
Nice one, a happy ending then :)

did you try resetting it yourself?
because thats the first thing the engineer will do when he comes?