Royal Xmas Lectures 2006 were terrible

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
For the last 20 years or so I've been watching these lectures on TV, firstly on the BBC, then Channel 4, and now it's shifted to Channel 5.

I don't know about you but I found this year's lectures totally boring. Apart looking the double of Johnny Rotten, the professor was tedious beyond belief. I started out anxious to know there is to know about numbers, but instead we were served some trash about ants and curves being infinite.

Sh*t!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
I did notice a few kids that looked like they were about to fall asleep, in the front row.

Numbers can be very interesting... given the correct presentation.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
I consider the lectures given by Eric Braithwaite in the '70s to be perhaps the best example of how to communicate well to a young audience.

His pet subject, gyroscopes and their apparent defiance of the laws of nature was a classic example of the above -

_www.gyroscopes.org/1974lecture.asp

Llew

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
This Johnny Rotten guy was very patronising, and treated the "kids" like children, which of course they're not in their own minds. ;)

I agree with Eric Braithwaite and the guy who recently wrote the book about God being an invention of Man. Sorry his name escapes me...

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I too used to be an avid fan of the xmas lectures.

IMHO, the moment they went to Channel 4, they were dumbed-down in order to fit between the commercial breaks. I believe that on Five they even have sponsor deals and phone votes. Very sad.

This is one programme best suited to a commercial free PSB - like the BBC. When the shows were on the BBC you had the chance to sit down, relax, get into the introduction, energise brain, absorb some well presented material, et al.

How the BBC 'lost' this show I have no idea.

This year I only watched one programme. :confused

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
Here, here, Bar! :)