RTL1090 thread

Glad you've sussed it out VS. Thought VRS was being mischievous and was waiting to see who was going to crack first :-doh
 
Glad you've sussed it out VS. Thought VRS was being mischievous and was waiting to see who was going to crack first :-doh
Indeed ..and after much searching I found some flags for my flags folder ..and silhouettes for that folder ..
see pic added to previous post ..
getting there ...eventually..
;)
 
Indeed ..and after much searching I found some flags for my flags folder ..and silhouettes for that folder ..
see pic added to previous post ..
getting there ...eventually..
;)
Very neat with those extras. I'll check them out, thankee
 
airbus.webp Just logged a big bugger from Emirates Airline
Airbus A380 861
Produces a distinct template on the google map ..
I grabbed it so will add to this post..
 
Indeed ..and after much searching I found some flags for my flags folder ..and silhouettes for that folder ..
see pic added to previous post ..
getting there ...eventually..
;)
Not sure where to find flags and silhouettes VS. I see where to find them in Tools-Options-Preset Configurations, but I need to upload some. but not sure where from?
 
Yes indeed Llew ..
Took some time to find some ..on account the links to those resources are all dead ...except ...on the Virtual Radar Forum ...
I'd upload em for you but they are large ..
If you dont find them yourself ..
I'll either post a link later ...or try something with drop box..
rgds
VS
 
Yes, I came to a dead end trying several sites. OK, I'll check out the forum, thanks.
 
The coax antenna is working surprisingly well considering it's on the end of 20 metres of standard sat cable with no LNA.

A decent range too, tracking up to Leeds etc.


Capture_VRS_4.webp
 
Ooh thats good news - that coax colinear is the one that really interests me - Im about 30 miles south of Edinburgh Airport so should get a good bash at flights coming into there.
 
Just logged my first Helicopter ..at 1200 ft ..
There may mave been more already ..but this is the first I was present for ..
Heard the noise over my house ..and quickly rushed to the VRS..
;)
 
Having discovered that they use a 2 inch (50mm) plastic pipe in plumbing ...I will have a walk round to my plub centre after the weekend ..
Apparently a 12 element antenna is optimal for Practicality v Gain ...
I think I'll make a 12 element non coaxial collinear of the same wire design as the short one already made ..
I have enough galvanised steel left for another ground plane ...
rgds
VS

I'd make it out of 8mm copper tube ...but not sure I could bend those loops efficiently..
hwever they do sell 2.5 mm capillary copper tube on fleabay ..
hmmm ..
need about 1600mm for 12 elements ..which when constructed would only stand 120 cm tall ..
A nice length ...and practical.
 
Last edited:
Been up the ladders again today ..erecting the new retractable collinear ...
Partially masked by the roof ...and of course uphill to the North of me ..
I have a clear run to the South but strangely (so far) the accumilation of planes appears north of me ..??
Definately extended my range ..but have yet to see one nore than say 150 nautical miles of my qth ..
Here is a screen grab after 15 minutes approx of run time ..
Logged 28 Aeros tracked in that time ..

..and YES it still bends in the wind ..Llew..
lolDSCF0008.webp
rgds
VSNew collinear test.webp
 
Looks good VS. Seems to be seeing plenty of sky. What RX are you using, Airspy or a dongle?
 
Looks good VS. Seems to be seeing plenty of sky. What RX are you using, Airspy or a dongle?
RTL dongle atm Llew ..
I'm trying to reserve the Airspy for other projects ..
btw ...which version of LNA4ALL did you buy ?
the bias Tee version or the basic ?
I'm still undecided which to go for ..as I would like both phantom power over coax AND External 5v by BiasTee..

..also looking at the bend on the black lower section of the antenna ..it would benefit I think from some support higher up near the gutter..
rgds
VS
 
Just the basic LNA4ALL, with the SMA connector sockets. Still waiting for pigtails, so I'm using SMA-F plug adaptors. Would've preferred SMA-F sockets, but that's all I could find at Farnell, and they send free postage by return of post.

Was going to enclose LNA4ALL in metal box, but will do that when I put it at the antenna, with phantom power courtesy of a bias tee I've rustled up using a discarded 1/2 an Invacom LNB case ;)


Capture_12.webp
 
Just the basic LNA4ALL, with the SMA connector sockets. Still waiting for pigtails, so I'm using SMA-F plug adaptors. Would've preferred SMA-F sockets, but that's all I could find at Farnell, and they send free postage by return of post.

Was going to enclose LNA4ALL in metal box, but will do that when I put it at the antenna, with phantom power courtesy of a bias tee I've rustled up using a discarded 1/2 an Invacom LNB case ;)


View attachment 93263
Nice one Llew ..
I wait to see your results ..
Just sent Adam a message ...to order the basic model ..
I will also construct a bias T like yours for psu injection indoors ..
Have you a link to the schematic ?
rgds
VS
 
Odds 'n ends from across the web VS. I've tried it in circuit and it doesn't significantly add attenuation using the components I had to hand. The choke value isn't critical, I used a 2.7uH, but various designs seem to be around the 1.5 to 6.8uH area.

I'll sketch out the circuit in a mo.
 
Back
Top