RTP-Portugal

benfica1970

Reaction score
My Location
Stoke on Trent
Hi I am still not sure what to do- I want to be able to get RTP on Hotbird 4 13º East but what system will I need-nothing to expensive though! I have been quoted prices ranging from £379 up to £689 which is well out of my range. As it was previuosly on Hotbird 2 13º E on analogue does it mean I wont have to mess about with the dish outside?
Please help as I me totally bewildered about this. :confused

Also if I had another dish up outside would I be able to get Eutelsat W2 16º East-I am trying to get the other Portuguese channel Sic Internacional.

Thanks
Jane!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
The part of the dish where the cable goes in is called the 'LNB' and if it's a few years old, it will probably need replacing with one suitable for digital. Pretty cheap - £25 or so. Known as a 'Universal' LNB. Get the cable changed as well while you're at it.

Then you will need to look at a new receiver. Anything with 'FTA' on it will be cheaper than 'non-fta', and still able to do what you want it to do.

You can buy and fit that yourself, it's easy.

You can certainly get the results you want for a lot less than you are being quoted.

You could also have your dish upgraded to a larger/newer one (with 2 'LNB's) and get BOTH those satellites on it without moving it, or any more messing about...

Come back if you have any more questions. :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The only thing i would add to Stick's comments, is that 13 and 16E are too close together for two standard LNBs, but there are now some slimline LNBs around which would probably do the job. :)

benfica1970

Reaction score
My Location
Stoke on Trent
Forgetting the Eutelsat thing would I still have to move the dish around though? Or would it be better to buy a complete new system?

Please can you give me ideas of what system to buy?

I have also noticed that rtp is available on 1 of the astra channels-would that be a better move?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Providing that the LNB is universal (have a look and see what it says), all you need is a free to air receiver, click on the Sateuropa banner at the top of the page (you may need to refresh a couple of times for it to cycle through) they have receivers for under £100 .

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The lidl setup works well, there are several members who have bought the systems before. Only problem will be getting up early enough to snag one. :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Jane - be aware that SIC International is sometimes scrambled on Eutelsat W2 - if so you wont get it on a standard fta receiver.

Its also a low symbol rate channel, and these can be awkward to get sometimes - the transmission powers on 16E are all over the place because multiple frequencies are radiated off one individual transponder.

RTP International is available in the clear on both Hotbird 13E and Astra 1 19E. It doesnt matter which one you pick as they are the same transmission.

benfica1970

Reaction score
My Location
Stoke on Trent
Thanx 4 the advice about sic internacional,I think I will leave the sic thing out of it and just go 4 rtp. the other thing is what is the difference between a universal lnb and an analogue 1, because 4 the life of me I have no idea what I am looking at!!

I can post a pic of it or email some1 if they could help me.
Thanks
Jane

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Universal LNB's have two internal oscillators (electronic dohickerties) which are switched by a tone sent up the cable from the receiver. (low band & high band)

Early LNB's only had one oscillator, and are not suitable for digital simply because they cannot switch onto the higher frequency band.

LNB = Low Noise Block downconverter - they down change the frequency of the microwave signals radiated off the satellite into something that our coax cables can handle.

You dont need to know the details, they arent important, just to know that there are two bits of gubbins inside "Universal" LNB's instead of one. Most if not all Universal LNB's will have either UNIVERSAL or "LO 9750 / 10600MHz" marked of them - (could be LO 9.75 / 10.6GHz as these are the same thing).

benfica1970

Reaction score
My Location
Stoke on Trent
Thanks Analoguesat for the advice I will be able to check this, because I have seen a label on the Lnb.

I will let you know how I go on.

Thanks
Jane

benfica1970

Reaction score
My Location
Stoke on Trent
Hi just to let you know that I got some1 to fit me a Fortec Star lifetime for the channells for £120. I thought not to bad. What are fortec like?
Thanks for all help.
Jane