Safe Image for BL72

BlightyExPat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 x DM800HD (Genuine in UK, Clone in SA); Virus-free, open source Linux (openSuSE 12.3 and Ubuntu 13.04) PCs (home and office).
My Location
South Africa (and UK)
Having previously been the victim of the dreaded 'time-bomb' with my original DM500, I am nervously looking for a safe update for my DM800 clone.

The info I have on my receiver is:

Information Product Name DM800
Booloader version Dreambox Second Stage Loader BUILD #72, built 20090303
Flash Size 64 MB
Production Date (YYYY/MM/DD) 2009/05/08
mID 13
Serial Number 72859
MAC Address 00:09:34:29:2f:98
Printed Serial Number 950813000072859

Is this sufficient info to enable me to update with a safe and more recent image, and most importantly, can someone point me towards a specific link? I am aware of the very many forum discussions that exist and already cover this subject, but I am struggling to find anything that explains in plain, simple English!

(I am most familiar with Gemini, so would prefer to stick with that image if possible).

A nonymous

Reaction score
Why does everybody out there always keep going on about Gemini? It confuses the life out of me why anybody would even consider using their images after the 500 timebomb fiasco.

The problem you have is that you need to find out what SIM is in your DM800. This will dictate what images you can use on it.

There are several clone sims available including Ferrari, ESTAR, SIM 1.0, SIM 2.0 & SIM 2.01.

If your using boot loader 72 i'm guessing its a sim 2.0 or 2.01 you have.

The links below are for BL72 boxes, although you use them at your own risk. I take no responsibility for the images in the link.

Code:
http://uploadmirrors.com/download/PIJL1XDP/Gemini-4.4-BL72-DM800.zip

Code:
http://uploadmirrors.com/download/0YMTWE9B/PLi-Jade-3-BL72-DM800.zip

Code:
http://www.4shared.com/file/LBsYrw9H/blackhole-hyperspace-dm800-bl7.html

I would look at upgrading the Sim car in all honesty. Maybe to a Ferrari sim.

Q. What is the Ferrari Sim Card?

A. The Dreambox DM800 is protected by a security chip similar to the sim card in your mobile phone and is designed to stop clone builders from selling receivers which can run the enigma based software which runs on these boxes. If you have a cloned box, you will know that you are limited to the images you can load on your box, by the version of the bootloader supported by the sim card in your clone. The Ferrari Sim Card is a new sim card which is used in many of the newer clones being manufactured, and offers many benefits over the previous generations of sim cards.

Q. Why buy a Ferrari Sim Card?

A. Unlike the older sim cards SIM1, SIM2 & SIM2.01, this new card allows you to operate your DM800 almost as if it is a genuine box, even if it was previously restricted to BL69, 70, 72 or 75. It is an upgradeable in the box solution, which does not need to be removed from the machine, and reprogrammed each time DM releases new bootloaders, like SIM2.01, and this also means you do not need to buy any special hardware to update your box.

Q. How easy is it to fit?

A. It is as easy to install as a new sim in your phone. Simply open the box cover (4 screws) and pull back the front cover, then flick open the sim carrier with a screwdriver, and replace the existing sim card. It is easier than installing an internal hard drive.

Q. How long will it work?

A. Like everything in the satellite hobby, you cannot guarantee that changes in the future will never stop this device working with updates to the security systems in the software from DM. However, the design of the sim is much more future proofed than the SIM2.01, as the bootloader itself is modified, rather than just the linux kernel. Just as the genuine boxes are upgradable, so will a Ferrari sim card equipped DM800, unless security measures are included to defeat the card. If you have any experience of the satellite hobby, you will understand that this is a good a guarantee as you are ever likely to get

Q. Do I need a patched image for my DM800?

A. Yes. They are available in the forum.

Q. Can I patch an image myself?

A. It is possible, some scripts are available if you know what you are doing.

Q. How much do they cost?

A. The price of a Ferrari Sim Card is GBP 20 plus postage.

Q. Where can I buy one?

A. The Ferrari Sim Card is only available for end users via this website. Payment is currently available only via PayPal. See here for details. ( Digital Kaos forum )

Q. How long will it take to ship?

A. Orders are sent out via first class post, and should arrive within one working day in the UK, elsewhere will depend on the postal system. We only ship using insured post to protect both parties.

Q. Can I collect my Ferrari Sim Card in person?

A. No.

Q. Can I get a bulk purchase discount?

A. Yes - contact is via the forum.

Q. How will the Ferrari Sim Card be supported?

A. Support is provided in the forum.

Q. It's not working, can I get a replacement?

A. Yes of course, if you have followed the installation guidelines and it still does not function, we will gladly replace your faulty sim. However, if it is found not to be faulty, we will return it back to you, as you have not followed the installation guidelines correctly.

The quotation above was taken from the Digital Kaos forum. Authored by southpaw.

You can find ferrari images here.

Code:
http://www.8a8f8.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/3/1/Patched_NFI_Images_for_DM800

Hope this explains everything :D

Last edited:

BlightyExPat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 x DM800HD (Genuine in UK, Clone in SA); Virus-free, open source Linux (openSuSE 12.3 and Ubuntu 13.04) PCs (home and office).
My Location
South Africa (and UK)
Thanks for the feedback. I only quote Gemini as a preference because that's the image I am familiar with. I did originally try PLi but didn't get on with it. I have no problem with an alternative and assume they all offer similar functionality.

As I am actually located in Cape Town, whilst the DM800 is located in the UK, and plan a visit back there for Christmas, but as I won't have much spare time I think the best solution would just be to purchase a Ferrari Sim Card.

Can someone point me towards the correct link to make a purchase? Most seem outdated or unavailable.

A nonymous

Reaction score
You will need to download images when you have your new Ferrari sim mate.

Code:
http://www.8a8f8.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/3/1/Patched_NFI_Images_for_DM800

PM sent mate.

gibertini

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HDSE SIM 2.10 80CM ORBITAL FIXED@28.2E
My Location
53.6N 2.4W
nothing wrong with ferrari per se as they do fantastic work with the vu clones but id go with a sim-201 personally for a dm800. stick gjstroom,s patched open-atv 4.2 image on it and your away. sim 2.01 card will set you back around £20gbp or less

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Changing sim card is not that easy. You better find out what sim You got. Looks like a 2.x and if so then
You can upgrade not only the Image but the bootloader as well.

Lots of nice images on the net

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
This thread is rather out of date as it was originally posted in 2011.

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden