sat dishes

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4 systems. In Scotland Freesat with Humax Foxsat recorder. In Algarve 1.5 fixed Inv Quad LNB with 3 Pace 2600C1 and 1 Amstrad HD DRX780UK also 80cm dish with Inverto 0.2db monoblock LNB (19.2E/26E) feeding Technomate 5000CI+ usb.
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
I think I know the answer to this question before I ask but here goes. Can any device be added to a dish to make it act as a bigger dish? For example some sort of apron.

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Practically it is not worth while to even try - the costs for a new dish are at all time lows and it simply is easier to upgrade your dish.

Regards

Old Satellite

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
@ Devonbrown, if you are looking to squeeze a little better signal for Sky reception, then just upgrade to the zone 2 minidish, then it should storm in.

@ Martin, No Martin, if conditions were ideal (direction/line of sight) it could work with a perspex panel in the roof, but not through any type of tile or slate.

Is the property listed or in a conservation area?

Reaction score
Website
martin-osullivan.tripod.com
My Location
Ireland
Originally posted by rolfw
@ Devonbrown, if you are looking to squeeze a little better signal for Sky reception, then just upgrade to the zone 2 minidish, then it should storm in.

@ Martin, No Martin, if conditions were ideal (direction/line of sight) it could work with a perspex panel in the roof, but not through any type of tile or slate.

Is the property listed or in a conservation area?

No the landlord is just a ! but a neighbour has a dish which is very close to the house so I will approach him about putting a quad lnb on his dish. I presume you can still get them for the sky minidish.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes you can Martin, they also make a twin, but make sure that you earth bond the cables from the LNB, you may be operating on 2 different phases and need to protect each home from 400+ volt surges.

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4 systems. In Scotland Freesat with Humax Foxsat recorder. In Algarve 1.5 fixed Inv Quad LNB with 3 Pace 2600C1 and 1 Amstrad HD DRX780UK also 80cm dish with Inverto 0.2db monoblock LNB (19.2E/26E) feeding Technomate 5000CI+ usb.
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
Thanks for the replies. I should have said that I have a 1.2 meter dish in Estepona on the Costa del Sol, with a twin output feeding my neighbour and myself. We receive most stations including ITV but we dont get Sky 1 and a couple of others. Another neighbour with a 1.3 meter dish gets them all. That´s why I was wondering.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Hmm, strange that you can't receive Sky One, that's not normally one of the missing ones, Dish doctor lives on the Costa Del Sol, but I'm not sure where, he may be able to advise a little better.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Sky1 is on one of the weakest 2B North transponders, so for southern areas it is often the first to go.

Hopefully when Sky1 Extra/Hits/Plus/Whatever launches it will be on another transponder!

What receiver and LNB do you have (and what are your neighbours)?

The Panasonic 30 is by far the best for fringe areas so if he has that and you have a poorer one he has another advantage over you.

Also how close the person that can receive it?

If they were further east (20 KM or so) they would also be further north and so slightly further inside the 2B North footprint. So they would have a stronger signal in the first place. I know it doesn’t sound much but right on the edge the slightest difference is important.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Interesting Polomint, didn't realise that, how far is Estepona from Malaga?

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
40-45mins by car on the new Autopista ;)

I think it’s about 70Km, but being further down the coast the distance change south/north is also important for satellite reception.

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
Hi, both my neighbour and myself have a panny 30 we both get the same stations although funnily I also have an old pace 2200 which doesn't get chan 4 very well but gets Euronews and the God Chans whereas my panny doesn't. Fortuneately for me I am not a huge fan of the God Chan. I don't know what make my LNB is as I can't remember. I have a centre feed dish and the range of available LNBs wasn't as wide.(I only was offered 1 twin output). The next time I am up on the roof I must have a look

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
You should really get Euronews, it’s on the same transponder as The God Channel which explains why you get either both or none depending on the box.

They are on Eurobird S1 beam, about the only other channels on that beam are Kerrang! Magic, Smash Hits! Animal Planet +1 and Fox News Channel, do you get any of them?

If your neighbour (who can receive Sky 1) has an offset dish are you (or rather is he) sure that it is indeed truly 1.3m? That means the shortest diameter of the dish is 130cm. Many ‘cunning’ installers pass off 1.2m offsets as 1.3m or even 1.4m as the longest length measures that much, but the measurement should be stated as the shortest. However either way it doesn’t really help your problem.