Satellite Cable and Electrical Sockets

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
I am having the sockets rewired in the house where i live.

where the electrican said he was going to put a new socket is directly near where my satellite dish cable feeds come through the wall about a couple of feet away.

The cable i have used is wf100 which i guess is shielded enough to avoid any interference and shouldn't cause any issues with signal levels etc ?

I'm going to decide where to have the extra one, there must be new rules as he said they have to be a minimum of 450mm to 600mm high up the walls.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The new rules aren't that new .... they came in a few years ago with Part P of the Building Regulations (For which I was an Assessor).

You won't get any mutual interference between your Satellite Feeds and the Mains Cabling.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Tivù said:
The new rules aren't that new .... they came in a few years ago with Part P of the Building Regulations (For which I was an Assessor).

You won't get any mutual interference between your Satellite Feeds and the Mains Cabling.

I had read about something years ago and thought it was to make things like sockets more accessible for people in wheel chairs etc.

Having an extra socket near or under the cable feeds will be ideal as i can stick my receivers there and make all the wiring neater as it is currently a mess.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, access for the disabled was one of the drivers ............... there is a similar zone ensuring light switches are accessible, too.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
wod said:
I am having the sockets rewired in the house where i live.

where the electrican said he was going to put a new socket is directly near where my satellite dish cable feeds come through the wall about a couple of feet away.

The cable i have used is wf100 which i guess is shielded enough to avoid any interference and shouldn't cause any issues with signal levels etc ?

I'm going to decide where to have the extra one, there must be new rules as he said they have to be a minimum of 450mm to 600mm high up the walls.

Since your equipment list includes a Jaeger 1224 you are still going to have motor cable between indoor and outdoor kit (unless you have the VBox in an outhouse)

I would also forego any satellite cable termination at the wall owing to the associated insertion loss of coupling (ooer !). It's OK for small single fixed dishes and aprtment blocks where the signal runs through a switching/distribution box but you would be only compromising signal for neatness in your own den of iniquity.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Just glad mine was done before the new regs ..
The idea of a mains socket 2 foot off the floor is esthetically displeasing to me at least .
All mine are mounted an inch above the old victorian skirting ..so about 8 to 9 inches off the floor ..
Except the ones above kitchen work surfaces.
I would have thought that was adequate for a person in a wheelchair..?
Perhaps another reason for such elevated placement is the increased incidence of flooding ..particularly ..those poor sods who were duped into buying houses on river flood plains...
There but for the grace of a non specific deity ..go I.
how do such things get past the planning stage ?
rgds
VS

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
Vipersan said:
Just glad mine was done before the new regs ..
The idea of a mains socket 2 foot off the floor is esthetically displeasing to me at least .
All mine are mounted an inch above the old victorian skirting ..so about 8 to 9 inches off the floor ..
Except the ones above kitchen work surfaces.
rgds
VS

yeah i was hoping the replacement sockets would be the same 2 inches above the skirting board but sadly not and need to be minimum 450mm from the floor which makes it awkward as i use them 4 socket surge protection leads to try make it all neat and easy to clean behind.

I'm not using those satellite cable faceplate things i've got 2-3 metre of cable from each lead on the inside so no joins in any of those and having a power socket means i can shorten the cables.

With these new lcd panels and everyone wanting the no wires look i'll have to buy some of the cable trunking to cover it all up maybe.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
wod said:
yeah i was hoping the replacement sockets would be the same 2 inches above the skirting board but sadly not and need to be minimum 450mm from the floor which .....

You could magic up a set of 400mm skirts, job done.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
wod said:
yeah i was hoping the replacement sockets would be the same 2 inches above the skirting board but sadly not and need to be minimum 450mm from the floor which makes it awkward as i use them 4 socket surge protection leads to try make it all neat and easy to clean behind.

I'm not using those satellite cable faceplate things i've got 2-3 metre of cable from each lead on the inside so no joins in any of those and having a power socket means i can shorten the cables.

With these new lcd panels and everyone wanting the no wires look i'll have to buy some of the cable trunking to cover it all up maybe.

It does make you wonder about the 'nanny state' when they get to the point of being so invasive about the look ..and function of the fittings in your home..
I totally understand if a disabled person requests a more practical solution ..but why o why ..do they have to change something which has worked so well for a 100 years..
interfering busy bodies imo ..who have to justify their very existance by making & changing rules more frequently than their underwear..
cest la vie

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
..Just out of curiosity ...If a house owner with a ring main which includes sockets at skirting board level ...request an additional socket fitted ...and this additional socket has to be fitted at least a foot higher ..
How is this done without replacing entire sections of that ring mains wiring ???
It would simply be too short ...
So ..if the fitting of another socket then requires additional changes in wiring ..this also might then require re-plastering ...or even re-decorating ...and gawd forbid ..a full re-wire ...
The only other way would be junction boxes under the floor boards ..with longer leads to accomodate the higher placed sockets ..which is more dangerous imo ..than a low level just above skirting board socket..
...Oh wait ...I see ...its another example of built in obsolescence isn't it..
Or
A classic example of job creation ..
Not unlike the old joke ...lets get a team of men to dig holes in the road ...for no good reason ...that way we can create another team to follow them round and fill them in again..
That'll reduce the dole queue ...
:D

jim1974

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 / Fixed 28`
My Location
South Central UK
I'd be VERY surprised if the cables that run to the socket are exactly the right length, normally there is plenty of spare slack.

The slack is there for a variety of reasons, the main one being moving or adding sockets.

Can sockets on the skirting be dangerous? Absolutely!

Have there been any fires caused? Yes

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
There has to be slack to overcome Sparky's version of Sod's Law >> "Any piece of Cable cut to length will always be 6" too short".

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
jim1974 said:
I'd be VERY surprised if the cables that run to the socket are exactly the right length, normally there is plenty of spare slack.

The slack is there for a variety of reasons, the main one being moving or adding sockets.

Can sockets on the skirting be dangerous? Absolutely!

Have there been any fires caused? Yes

Agreed Jim ..
Sockets _on_ skirting boards ...who would want that ?
I'm talking about sockets on brick in plaster above skirts ..
Dangerous at 9 inches ..but suddenly safe a foot higher ???
:D
rgds
VS

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
I have a theory its more to do with water ingress..which we know can be dangerous when mixed with electricity...
But if its ground water they are worried about ..then 2 foot is inadequate ..why not go the whole hog ..and set the height over a metre ..
Rising damp can't get higher than this ..
Or better still regulate the materials used in the DPC ..so that they don't fail after a few years ..
Oh wait ..thats bringing us back to built in obsolescence again ..
and in the worst cases ..stop building on flood plains..
This flooding is only going to get worse imo..
100 year floods my ass ...its happening somewhere in the country every year that passes now..
Appologies ..I'm ranting again ..but I suspect a few secretly agree but wont admit it.
;)
Ignore me ...its better for your 'elf
VS

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
Today is the day having the sockets rewired.

They aren't too flexible to the height as its not my house but rented I'll have to put up with it but did let me have my dish up on the wall.

after its all done shall be getting an f15 to have a play with:)