Satellite Meter question.

packetstormer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.1m Triax dish, TM2300 motor. 2 x DM800HD, 1 DM500, 2 x Sly HD. 1 60cm fixed (Astra 2D).
My Location
Ireland
I am toying with the idea of getting a satellite meter, there are loads out there but I can't seem to find out one simple question. Will a satellite meter be able to identify a satellite? i.e does a satellite announce itself to a meter when it finds one.
Anyone any video site links showing how to use a meter?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Post moved to the appropriate section.

Have you seen the Micro G2 thread to name one. The meter reads the NIT data for satellite identification. Satlook Micro

The squawker meters just indicate a received carrier.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The squarkers just read a signal at some frequency between 1GHz and 1.7GHz, though they are rather useful when the dish is just off peak, and I cannot be bothered to carry something more bulky up the ladder.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
The MS-250 has got to be/was the best squawker going when I first used one.

Attachments

• 250..jpg
    250..jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 27

futumsch

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm dish, Pace MSS500 (analog) 19e
1m Channel Master fixed 26e, 1m dish, SG-100 motor, Inverto Black Ultra. Pace MSP 200, Humax F1 VACI
Jaeger 1224 mid restored. Fibo 1.2m.
My Location
Midlands, UK
I've used a 'squawker' befor to find satellites, but i didn't find it very useful for optimising my dish onto the arc. And I was fed up with going up and down the ladder just to read the Signal Quality on my sat receiver.
You professional installers might laugh at this. So I hooked up a pocket tv (£15 off e_bay) to my receiver using twin screened cable. The cable is about 10 metres long, but I still manage to get a picture.
OK the resolutiion is crap, and its not good in bright sunshine, but it helped me set up my dish set up on the arc in an afternoon rather than over several weekends.

Attachments

• casio_signal..JPG
    casio_signal..JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 30

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes indeed, as have probably most installers at one time or other, fine for the amateur.:)