Satellite Position ?

Slay3r

Reaction score
Hi

Got all the equipment now for a newbies stupid question.

Setting satellite to Astra 28.2 ?

(My longditude is -2.169,) does this mean that I set the dish to 28.2 from magnetic south, or do I set it from true south to the 28.2 ?(28.2-2.169)

slay3r

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Slay3r said:
Setting satellite to Astra 28.2 ?

It's a strong position - if you're somewhere where other have dishes try the general direction and elevation and tune into a strong transponder.

You shouldn't have a problem finding it.

Once you get a signal tweek it until you get the strongest then put a wet hanky over the LNB and tweek again - that will make sure you get the strongest signal.

The true South etc is more for a motorised set up.

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
Hi

Not quite as easy as that! Go to http://www.smw.se/smwlink/smwlink.htm

download SMW Link 3.0.
Then click on antenna alignment, put in your long and lat and satellite position. Your will then get the pointing requirements for the satellite and the skew angle of the LNB.

Or do as per gameboy advises

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
Here's another option,very easy to use!

hxxp://satlex.de/en/azel_calc-first_1.html

Slay3r

Reaction score
Thanks have tried both, getting a slightly different reading but nothing to cause any problems.

Is the angle of elevation that it has given me(25.37) taken accross the front face of the dish ? my dish is a Triax 78cm.

slay3r

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
The angle of elevation is to where the satellite is, if you have an offset dish the offset has to be taken into account but the graduations on the elevation mount take this into account (should).

AF

T-E-E-N-A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
I tried both of these as I was having trouble getting hotbird. I made an inclinometer, (Don't laugh) which I'm going to burn as it was useless. Anyway I managed to get Hotbird loud and clear on an 80cm dish in N. Ire which was good. The only thing is according to http://www.satlex.de/en/azel_calc-first_1.html, my elevation should be 3 degrees higher, but I've worked it out. I lowered the inclination of Eutelsat W2 by 3 degrees also, and that came through. I'm just waiting for my new motor to arrive from Germany and away I go. I'm excited but petrified at setting it up, but at least I know now I can receive other satellites and not just Astra 1 and 2. :cool:

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
* T-E-E-N-A
Once you have your motor set up you will find that it was worth waiting for. Hundreds of FTA interesting channels to watch.

Slay3r

Reaction score
I am mounting my dish as high up the side of the house so I can get it to clear some tree tops ?

But there is two very tall trees to the left and right of the satellite position astra 28.2.

When it says that you must have a clear line of sight to the satellite with no obstructions (trees-buildings) what is the beam of the satellite transmitions to the dish? as my dish is 80cm diam, will it be ok to asume that as long as I have a 80cm parrallel position between the trees, that I will be ok with this position for receaving adequate strength reception.

Slay3r

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Excellent post with the urls T-E-E-N-A that's a great site i was looking for something simple like that.

T-E-E-N-A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
dbolton said:
Excellent post with the urls T-E-E-N-A that's a great site i was looking for something simple like that.

I wish I could take credit Dbolton, LOL, but it's all down to Steffan, it certainly is a great help. :cool: