Satellite reception in South Africa

satlearner

Member
My Satellite Setup
Deltech Bravia STB with USB HDD
Deltech DreamGame STB with USB HDD
1.8mtr mesh dish (C) - will be removing soon
2.4 mtr mesh dish with 24 inch Actuator (C & Ku) (currently installing)
90cm solid dish fixed (Ku) - will be removing soon
120cm soli
My Location
South Africa - GP
Hi all,

Hope this is the right section to post this topic. I have an FTA receiver &1.8mtr C-band dish pointed at 68,5E. LNB has the following info:
Input: 3.4 - 4.2 GHz
Output: 950 - 1750 MHz
LO : 5.150 GHz
Noise : 17K

With this setup, what other satellites would I be able to pick up that have FTA programs. I am based in Johannesburg, South Africa and have no buildings or obstructions that could affect my signal reception.

Another question I have is the meaning of S/R.....why is it that when I do a blind search I cannot receive transponders that have a S/R of 27500....is there a logical solution to this.

Any assitance will be appreciated.
 
Hello satlearner,

here some positions, that should work in South Africa in C-Band @western Positions:

Intelsat 10-02 @1°W -> every beam
Atlantic Bird 3 @5°W
Intelsat 901 @18°W -> SE Hemi and east hemi, but not NE Zone and West hemi. Global beams have more low signal for 180cm.
NSS 7 @22°W -> East hemi, Global and SE Zone, not West hemi
Intelsat 905 @24,5°W -> Global beam has low signal for 180cm
Intelsat 907 @27,5°W -> only East hemi!
Intelsat 903 @34,5°W -> only SE zone
Intelsat 705 @50°W -> Global beam (one Feed from Nigeria)
Intelsat 707 @53°W -> East hemi signal is very low for 180cm, her is Global beam much stronger

Best Begards
Edgar.
 
Hello Satlearner from Jozi

I am not sure if you are familiar with Satcodx and Lyngsat. If not you better get googling ...

That's my only advise! I would also advise you to google sasat as well.

Ta

Mashster

satlearner said:
Hi all,

Hope this is the right section to post this topic. I have an FTA receiver &1.8mtr C-band dish pointed at 68,5E. LNB has the following info:
Input: 3.4 - 4.2 GHz
Output: 950 - 1750 MHz
LO : 5.150 GHz
Noise : 17K

With this setup, what other satellites would I be able to pick up that have FTA programs. I am based in Johannesburg, South Africa and have no buildings or obstructions that could affect my signal reception.

Another question I have is the meaning of S/R.....why is it that when I do a blind search I cannot receive transponders that have a S/R of 27500....is there a logical solution to this.

Any assitance will be appreciated.
 
Indeed that's the only SA sat board of which i am aware of that is still alive:
_http://sasat.forumup.co.za/index.php?mforum=sasat

But as you can see here are quite some people familiar with C-Band reception and will help you. But local boards are important since reception conditions can differ a lot from place to place.
 
Hi Edgar,

Thanks for the info. I will try out the positions and I am making a mod to the mounting of the dish as this will allow easier movement for setting up. Another thing I am working on is a multi lnb setup. I plan on using two additional C-Band LNB's and one KU- lnb. I also read that I am able to install a KU lnb on the mesh dish I currently have. According to the info, the KU lnb will work on the mesh dish as long as the hole diameters on the mesh is smaller than 1/4" (6.35mm). This will be a trial as I am still playing around with my other dish that has the HH90 motor on it.
 
Hi Mashster,

Thank you for your contribution. I am aware of Lyngsat and SatcoDX. Sure there is a welath of information there, but what I am looking for more refined info. I'd like to know what others have found as being interesting sats. There have been many updates in the past six months, I used to be able to receive channels like B4U music & B4U Movies as well as Ujala which were on Asiasat 3S, now these have left and they used to be FTA. I have still not been able to locate these. I would have loved to be able to receive the signals from Eurobird @ 28,5E but this is not possible.
 
Back
Top