Satlook Micro G2 questions

fincaman

fincaman
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky,1x Pace HD Box,2x Pace Boxes,1.3m Dish,Quad LNB,Satlook Micro G2,Ladder.
My Location
Malaga
Hello All, I bought a "Satlook Miro G2" sat meter on a Recommendation from this forum. I am near Malaga and some of my cable runs are longer than I would like so I need to get every last bit from my dish and LNB.I previously used a receiver set on signal and a television, although I got a reasonable result I needed something better,enter the the Satlook,I put it on "easyfind" it has Astra 28E programmed into it and when I connected it to the LNB it immediately bleeped and locked.By default it has a beeper which goes higher in pitch with better signal,at first I thought this was irritating but now find it great as I seem to be able to remember the highest pitch I have heard,not only that it has peak hold on the signal strength bar so you don't find yourself thinking "did I get it higher than that before?". Although the screen is only a small 3" B&W affair but it can be seen in the brightest of sunlight.The slightest touch on the dish sends the signal strength bar up or down,I used to lose some channels in the afternoon but now I don't.So far so good I have now done what the manual says is the first step,I am now supposed to go to the digital section of the meter but it fails to say what I am supposed to do or what I am supposed to look for, can anyone help ? also I bought my (nondescript) quad LNB some years ago would I get better results with a better one?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi,

Go to the Analogue mode, change the cursor so that it is on a transponder of interest, then go back to the digital mode and look at the BER SNR and MER values. You want to minimise BER and maximize the MER and SNR ratios. Any thing below something x e -4 is classed as a good signal for BER, and above 8dB for the SNR.

Without knowing the details of your dish, it is not possible to give LNB recommendations.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
The Pre/cBER measurement shown on the MicroG2 meter should be x.x e-3 or better for a satisfactory post-Virterbi BER ie. the point at which there are no uncorrectable packets. If the BER falls too low, this will exceed the ability of the final error correction stage.

MER should be 9dB-15dB depending on FEC.