Satlook Micro +

fincaman

fincaman
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky,1x Pace HD Box,2x Pace Boxes,1.3m Dish,Quad LNB,Satlook Micro G2,Ladder.
My Location
Malaga
I bought a Satlook Micro + more or less on the advice of this forum and whist I am happy with it I have never got to grips with some aspects of it E.G.

In easyfind mode you can tune to astra 28.2E on 13,14,15 and 16 all have different frequencies the strongest one is 15 freq 12207v should I set my default transponder to this ? my receiver is set to 11778 which does not appear on my Satlook, or have I got this all completely wrong ?

Nr Malaga

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Moved thread to Satellite Meters and Installation Equipment section.

You change the default storage transponder in 'easyfind mode' to what ever frequency you want by pressing store function and allocating a position.

Not sure the receiver has much to do with the satlook default transponders. If you have a lock on the digibox using 11.778 then leave as be.

Have you got the G2 model?

fincaman

fincaman
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Malaga
I have the G2, all I am tryting to find out is which number to set my Satlook on 13,14,15,or16 they all say Astra 18E but none of them have a frequency of 11778 is that relevent ?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
The G2 has a spectrum trace. That's how you align and peak for signal. The 'easyfind option' can be used to check the satellite using NIT.

Once the satellite has been found, save whatever transponders you want in the meter memory.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I use the easyfind function to align as well, then the digital mode to peak the signal. As Satman said, you can just add your own tps, label them waht you want and save them in your memory. I have mine setup with my favoutite transponders all around the arc.

fincaman

fincaman
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Malaga
Thank you both for trying to help I am an ex TV engineer but I have never done satellite, the instructions For the Satlook are hopeless E.G. "BER,the bit error rate should be as low as possible as the values are really small on the other side of zero presented as something raised to minus something they should be as high as possible." I don't know who wrote that but it is not English . My problem is I can't find a book that gives all the information I need, ROBBO when you mention "tps" and "favorite transponders all around the arc" I haven't a clue what you mean it's obvious I need to learn more but where do I find the information ? I still don't understand why I get astra 28E on 13,14,15 and 16 on the satlook which one do I use?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I mainly do motorised dishes, so when I say all around the arc, I mean the "satellite Arc", i.e I generally have a transponder I tend to start with for each satellite. Eg for 28E, I use 10773H, for 26E, I use 12182H, for 0.8W, I use 11325H, for 30W, I use 11811V, and so on.... I also have some Specific transponders for some packages like Tringsat on 16E.

Go to lyngsat.com, you will see a list of all TPs for each satellite.

The manual says I believe that the BER is good if it is less than something to the -4.

eg 1x10-4 = 1 in 10,000, 1x10-3 = 1 in 1000. You have to understand scientific format numbers, where you are raising the first number to a power of 10. In my example above, I am raising 10 to the power of -4, which is equal to divide by 10 four times, or 1/10000.

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_notation#Engineering_notation

fincaman

fincaman
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Malaga
Thanks to you all

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
The Micro reads a preBER or cBER. Other meters will display cBER and vBER together.

1.5 e-6 for example equates to 1.5 uncorrected errors in every 1000000 bits.

4.8e-8 is better than 1.8e-5

The Quasi Error free QEF is referred to as 2.e-4 vBER and is the point at which the reed solomon can cope with error-free signals.

fincaman

fincaman
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Malaga
Hello Again, as I stated previously the instructions for the Satlook aren't great so I thought a few hours of experimentation were in order and I feel I now have a better understanding of how to use it but I do have one query.One of the weakest channels in my EPG is ITV Yorks E, I loose it in very bad weather and have added ITV Yorks W which I never loose, to "Other Channels" , I decided to have a look at the former on my Satlook so I tuned it to 12.402v which all the sites say is the correct frequency (I searched for it in "add Channels" and it is correct) but this appears to come right in between two strong channels on the Satlook and if I go to easyfind on this freq it finds nothing.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Well, it may be that the meter does not have sufficient sensitivity to correctly demodulate that particular transponder in your area with the size dish you have. I have noticed that the demodulation aspects of the meter are not as sensitive as a satellite receiver, noticeable on 7W here. The transponder should, I would have thought still be visible in the analogue spectrum mode.