Saturlight's Helpful Tips...

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Number One:

When buying a new mattress, do not remove the protective plastic cover (adults only, do not do this where children are concerned).

Then simply place your bed cover over your mattress, cutting down the potential of bed bugs living off your dead skin cells by 90%. Some of the buggers still get through.:-doh! :-rofl2

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Number Two:

Ever bought paper or card as "remind" notices, that you stick on the fridge, walls, etc...ie, "must buy Betty a birthday present".

Then your paper buying and card buying days are over! :D

Simply do not throw out your cardboard packaging, ie cereal boxes, cup-a-soup boxes. Just cut them open down the sides, and cut out the longest front panels - some are quite big, like cereal boxes, so you get lots of card to write on.

Fun for kids too, they can draw cartoons till their hearts' content, and it doesn't cost you a penny.

And it's helpful to the environment too...momentarily. :D

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
Number Three:

Sick of buying dish cloths and dusters?

Then don't. Simply wash your old underpants with a very strong detergent, to rid them of germs and use them as replacements. :D

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't think the girlfriends thong will bring up much of a shine on the old van though. ;) :-lmao

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
Number Four:

Sick of buying expensive cake decoration implements?

Then don't. Just borrow your grand-dad's false teeth and use these to put a very pretty indentation around cakes, pies, etc.

NB: Cannot be used on custard, soup, watery foods or any sort. And make sure to wash throroughly before placing false teeth back into grand-dad's mouth :D

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Interesting!

During World War 2 there was "make do and mend" - and before that the big depression - and many people of my parents' generation would very carefully join the old sliver of soap onto the new bar, re-use uneaten food, darn socks, etc. As well as collect and hoard things, just in case they might be useful one day.

Who still does that? Now we just throw stuff away, especially since we're influenced by tv shows which advise exactly this.

I re-use my old underpants as rags ......

http://www.homesweethomefront.co.uk/web_pages/hshf_squander_pg.htm .

(as the world's oil slowly runs out, maybe we'll be going back to this..... ).

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Very good ideas and as time goes on I think we will all be doing at least some of those things, if not from neccessity then from conscience.
BUT....
There seems to be a worrying 'underpants' theme developing on the board over the last day or so.
Whilst I heartily agree with the sentiments expressed, if I find any odd used undergarments arriving in the post there will be trouble.

L.:D

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
:D. And I say that's a load of pants! ;)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The Japanese brought out a six day undergarment, which consisted of pants with three leg holes.

Rotate for three days, then turn inside out and repeat.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
rolfw said:
Don't think the girlfriends thong will bring up much of a shine on the old van though. ;) :-lmao
No, but you can use it for an eyepatch.

spiney said:
many people of my parents' generation would very carefully join the old sliver of soap onto the new bar, re-use uneaten food, darn socks, etc. As well as collect and hoard things, just in case they might be useful one day.

Who still does that?
Me, of course. As I type there are several bars of soap around the house with a different coloured lump stuck on the side. I HATE throwing food away and will put everything in the fridge for another day.

Must admit I don't darn socks as they are always too uncomfortable afterwards but we do recycle socks, shirts, bedlinen etc as rags and dusters. My wife is always pinching my shirt to use as polishing rags :( I don't have a shirt that's over a year old any more (not that I could fit into a shirt bought more than 2 years ago - but that's another story).

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
PaulR said:
I don't have a shirt that's over a year old any more

All you have to do Paul is wash them and then you can use them again.:-pointer

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
PaulR said:
My wife is always pinching my shirt to use as polishing rags :(

What are the rags for, Paul?