Second sub Different address

S

specky

My original sub with S** is registered @ London address but used in Spain. UK address used with original sub. I now wish to have the extra subscription but to be used @ the UK address will this work. I think this time I will have to have box connected to telephone line(not possible to have first box connected for obvious reasons?. Will this work? I am happy to pay for installation etc.

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
If you are talking about the discounted 2nd subscription at the "same" address,then both digiboxes must be connected to the same phone line,they can and will check this.A similar answer to this question is posted elsewhere.But a 2nd fully paid subscription at the "same" address is no problem...........Brian

froggs

Reaction score
Website
www.froggsltd.com
My Location
Rotherham
when a second subscription is taken out (extra stb) both stb's must be connected to the same phone number for a minium of 12months even if you have had the first stb for more than a year, and both box's are checked once a month by a fully computerised system, which will automatically switch your viewing off after two consectative months of not being connected, resulting in you having to phone sky to resovle the problem, hope this helps:)

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
Hi, I don't want to step on anyones toes but this business about SKY turning you off after signal check failures is BS. I have 2 subs in Germany, 1 for the last 2 years and 1 for the last year. The first digibox that I took to Germany was even a freeby and was connected to the telephone line for apr. a week.
I once phoned SKY about something and they told me that they had only ever failed to get a signal to my box and that I have to have it connected to my phone line. I said I would do this, didn't of course and never heard from them again.
I order SKY BOX OFFICE events on a regular basis and they have never said anything.
SKY doesn't give a s*** whether or not your box is connected to the phone line. As long as you pay your sub they are happy. They are not allowed to offer SKY outside of the UK and when you sign the contract you say you will not take the card or equipment out of the country. Again, I don't think that SKY cares what you do with it. they are covered in making you sign to say you will not take it outside of the country.
I now also have a third sub in England, which is connected to the phone line. So I am basically doing that what you want to do specky. I have had the third one for about 8 months and have also had no problems with questions from SKY about why only one box is connected etc.
Methos.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Are you sure that also applies with the discounted second subscription though methos_de?

I agree with you point about the phone connection on the first subsidised box, i have never heard of anyone being penalised for non connection to a phone., I would just be a bit concerned about the above mentioned discounted second subscription.

froggs

Reaction score
Website
www.froggsltd.com
My Location
Rotherham
to stop all the confusion,

the phone connection only applies to a new stb on the extra subscription from sky, this means if you phone sky tommorrow to get a subsidised second subscription (£12) then sky would expect you to have both the new stb and the old one reconected to the same phone line for a further 12 months, it doesn't apply to those who are out of the contract ( the box is more than 12 months old), the system i was talking about only monitors the box's which are still within the 12 months bracket, the new system only started this month, and if you want to put it to the test then get a second sub and disconect it from the phone line.

trust me on this, I work for them

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
I have had second sub for which I pay 12GBP which has never been in a digibox in England let alone connected to an english telephone line. I had the card sent to me in England and had it sent on to my address in Germany and had it activated in Germany.
I did the same thing with my SKY+ box. I had the record facility activated in England using my first sub as this had to be done per modem and when I got the third 12GBP sub I had it sent to me in Germany with the SKY+ box and had this card activated in Germany also. As I then had 2 cards married to the same box I sent a card back to England rang up SKY and had 1 card set up to a box in England and the other set up to my box in Germany.
Which means I have 2 of 3 subs which have never even been in England let alone connected to the telephone line.
Being as SKY+ is not quite a year old I would say my SKY+ box falls well in the 12 month bracket. Since SKY+ came out I have heard plenty of rumours about certain things being deactivated when the box is not connected to the phone line. Its all BS to keep the people connected to the phone line because if you're not connected theres no chance of you using the "extremely inexpensive" online facilities.
All I can say is the proof is in the pudding. I have had 2 digiboxes not connected to a phone line for roughly a year. Both of which work no problem at all.
You could of course now argue with the fact that as I have a digibox connected in England they are receiving signals from this one but according to previous postings you have to have all boxes within the first 12 months connected which is simply not true as is evident with my boxes.
Methos.

froggs

Reaction score
Website
www.froggsltd.com
My Location
Rotherham
i am not trying to start an argument, but give it time, all of your box's as you said are within the first year, which means you must have them connected to a phone line, the sky plus box exspecialy, as it states on the sky + package it must be connected to a phone line, I also said the computerised system started this month, so you should be ok for another 2 - 3 months, then after that, i dare say they will switch your viewing off. this system is 100% now in use and as you are probably aware the digi boxe's had a software update over the last week, some box's are still display version 2.8b or 2.8b*, but they will update soon to version 3.0.11 and version 1.23.k for sky+ box's which contains the new ammendment for switching viewing off after not being connected to the phone line if the customer is still within there 12 month contract, the software detects this from the viewing card which is updated at 5 minute intervils,
hope this helps further, i don't want start rumours but i have seen the memo which has been issued from sky technical and subscriber department, I will scan a copy on to a word doc and upload it for you to see, please bare with me.:confused

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
True you did state that it started this month and that it would take 2 months until they turn it off. Which would of course mean I am wrong as I couldn't yet have been turned off.
I might yet be lucky after all. I bought the box last year in august when they first came out so my year of having to be connected will hopefully expire before I am turned off.
How will this actually work then ? If the software detects that I should be connected august and september but am not and october I am also not connected but don't have to be anymore what will happen ? I will then have not been connected for 3 months, 2 of which I should have been, but the third one I didn't have to be.
What would happen if I was to marry the card to my SKY+ box which has been running for 2 years ? will the software think the card has been in this very box for 2 years ?
How does the software know if a box is a new box from sky or a second hand box ? surely the software can only detect the age of the running subscription ?
Cunning b*****ds !!!!!!!!
Methos.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It would appear that the first of the letters may be arriving, reference the mirror subscription and phone connection. The newsgroup post on uk.tech.tv.sky copies a small section of the letter.

You must give us the details of the telephone line used for
this purpose. You must tell us immediately if the line or num- ber changes
for any reason. Unless we tell you other- wise, the number of digiboxes that
can receive subscrip- tions at your address is restricted to a maximum of
four.

The last sentence is interesting also.

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
It certainly is interesting. I was about to phone up and ask sky if/how I could have two sky+ and a normal sky sub running at my house. That would of course be 5 subs as the sky+ take two connections each on the lnb.
I think I'll give it a miss though as I don't want to stir them up into checking where my boxes are ;-)
Methos.

worth2

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Cos my 2nd box is not connected they say. They now say they are going to charge me for 2 full subs instead of one plus £12 ( now £15 )

Could it be they think it is not connected to the phone line because the 2nd box is not switched on?

Anyone having a similar prob?

J

JohnK

Hi

Because your STB is not switched on it cannot "call back" to Sky therefore they think it's not connected. If you switch the STB on it will make a call to the Sky system and everything will be OK, you'll have to keep your box on otherwise they will keep sending you warning letters and eventually charge you full subcription for your 2nd box instead of £12/15

JohnK

Neilynoo

Reaction score
Hi all... this thread has been running for some time and I'm interested in what the current situation is, both with regard to sky plus sytems not connected to phone lines, and 2nd (subsidised) subs not connected to phone lines..

Can I ask Methos_de if he is still having no problems with his sky + & 2nd sub in Germany

& can I ask Froggs if the situation he outlined is still the case. IE there's a computerised system that checks for subs where the phone should be connected and reports if the phone isn't connected & generates warning letters etc

Is it still the case that a new sky + sub and/or a 2nd sub has only to be connected to a phone line for a year, and after that doesn't need to be?

Thanks for any update...

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Just to add something here…

Second mirror subs have to have both boxes connected for the duration of the mirror subscription. This wasn’t in the terms when the mirror sub launched, but 11 or so months after Sky launched the service they changed the terms and sent letters to all mirror sub holders asking if they were ‘enjoying their second sub’ with some small print at the bottom saying that they would now have to keep both boxes connected after the year was up.

Also even after Sky send out the warning letter (and they do, perhaps not to everyone who breaks the rules, but certainly some) you get something ridiculous like 100 days to reconnect it. That’s easily time enough to call your mate up and ask him to bring the box round sometime to let it make a call. Granted if one (or both) boxes are abroad it doesn’t help that much.

Its also in the Sky+ T&Cs that the box is connected for the duration of the Sky+ subscription. There was never a 1 year minimum AFAIK. But like with the subsidised deals they don’t seem to chase people up at all on this.

MartinP

Reaction score
Website
www.satcure.co.uk
Originally posted by froggs
I will scan a copy on to a word doc and upload it for you to see, please bare with me.:confused

I prefer to keep my clothes on but you can "bare" it all if you wish.

:rolleyes:

Awaiting your upload with bated breath but can we have it in plain text or PDF since MS Word is notorious for "worm macro viruses"?

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
Originally posted by Neilynoo

Can I ask Methos_de if he is still having no problems with his sky + & 2nd sub in Germany

Thanks for any update...

Hi,
No I also got a letter saying that all boxes had to be connected. I had the second sub for ages but SKY changed the T&Cs forcing you to have all STBs connected.
Luckily my SKY+ box was out of the first 12 months so I just cancelled my second one andd kept my SKY+ in Germany. havent heard anything since.
Methos.