Sectional vs. Tiered CAT ladder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Usenet, WDTV, and a TV
My Location
Essex
If someone has a better section for this, feel free to move.

Been looking for a new set of CATs as mine are knackered and won't pass H&S checks, and H&S are going garrety with subbies at the minute.

So the question is has anyone used these
_http://www.midlandladders.com/products/12ft_3_7m_PROCAT_Sectional_Roof_Ladder-363-75.html

As opposed to these (style I've used)
_http://www.midlandladders.com/products/3_0m_9_10_Double_Extending_Roof_Ladder-375-46.html

And obviously if you've used both, which do you find better?

Gracias.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I have the longer version of the second one and whilst it is very heavy, it is rock solid on the roof. The only down side, is that it doesn't have very good clearance for ornamental ridge tiles and some jobs cannot be done if they are large ones.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
I have both sets and the extending roof ladders which I have (17+ 15 rungs i think), are.. very heavy but practical.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Just realised I have a similar (not extendable) 14ft version of the first one as well, but I stopped using it as it was a tile breaker and too short for many rooves. The aluminium box section hook would give when on a steep roof and the downward movement of the standoff bars would break small clay tiles, it is however good on ornamental ridge tiles, as the hook sits higher above the ridge.

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
A good point about different designs are not all suitable for all roof types.

A lot of gear is designed & has to pass for much heavier use in the main building trades and is much heavier as a result and not always ideal for much lighter aerial & satellite & cable work. Worse case scenario is some overweight hairy builder with a hod full of bricks, roof tiles, mortar etc.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Usenet, WDTV, and a TV
My Location
Essex
Stick with the tried and tested then... man I hate those things.

Thanks for the opinions.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I use the second option (only when I really can't find an option to go on the roof).

My ex-boss has a neat trick of rivetting a 60 x 30 cm piece of hardboard to the hook so the load is spread once over the ridge.

I also carry a rather battered motorcycle tyre in the van and put this under the lower of the two supports as it spreads the load evenly over a much larger area on the way up the tiles.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Usenet, WDTV, and a TV
My Location
Essex
Good call. Ta.

soOpersOniC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD
My Location
Wiltshire
I have been looking to buy some ladders myself. Will these be long enough ?

18ft Roof Ladders
_http://www.ladderstore.com/trade-aluminium-double-section-roof-ladders-p-1566.html

And a 3x10 rung extension ladder
_http://www.ladderstore.com/section-trade-aluminium-extension-ladder-p-1111.html

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You may find 18' a little short on some occasions, I have the 25' ladder and it has always been sufficient, the 20kg weight can however make it hard to handle, in hindsight I'd have gone for the 21' version.

Not sure about the Lyte 3 section ladders, the last set I used seemed to have too much sideways movement in the sections, but they are quite comfortable to work off. You may find that the next size up is easier to use, as extending the ladder to its fullest can be awkward.

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm dish hh motor teco tm1000 dreambox 7020
cas 3interface
dragon cam.promax tv explorer 2.
My Location
norwich
the 3 times 10 exstendable ladder is fine for going on to the roof on most 2 story houses. and is easy to move about, but its no good for 3 story or to go to top of gable end on a two story house. so i have to carry a third set of ladders. i am putting another van on the road so i will get the 11 or 12 run as a compromise. i to have that heavy roof ladder 4.0 closed it is solid as a rock. i have only used it fully exstended a few times, so not sure if a smaller one would be better. it could do with larger wheels as it snags on tile when pushing up.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, agree with the snagging of the wheels, has a tendency to slide some tiles upwards, but they are normally easily fixed whilst climbing the ladder.:)