Serving TV over a LAN

TV_From_The_Sky

Reaction score
I have a Nebula Digi-TV PCI card which sits in a server up in my loft. Nebula provide a server function in their software.

My laptop sits downstairs with the same Nebula software, but acting as a client and recieves the programs, changes channel, records exactly as if the Laptop had the card loaded.

My question is, the Nebula is a DVB-T (i.e. Freeview) card, is there a similar DVB-S card which offers this kind of client-server environment?

Then my server can sit happily in the loft without me having to re-wire the house. (I did think Dreambox) but would be quite happy with a PCI card system.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I've read that the new software/drivers for the SkyStar 2 can perform some streaming functions, but not sure how, or which way (client or server).

I downloaded them yesterday, but won't get a chance to look at them in any detail for a few days at least. Doesn't stop you having a read up though! ;)

Available at www.technisat.com

farr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows XP Professional, Skystar 2, TM5200D+ Super, 1m motorised dish [62E-58W]
My Location
York, North Yorkshire
BGonaSTICK said:
I've read that the new software/drivers for the SkyStar 2 can perform some streaming functions, but not sure how, or which way (client or server).

This is true but the DVBViewer software is, IMHO, rather poor. Third party (free) software such as Skyview (http://republika.pl/skyview) and ProgDVB (www.progdvb.com) offer streaming over LAN that is far more reliable and easy to use. However, neither program allows you to record from the client machine nor does either program allow you to view teletext from the client machine. Changing channels, even satellites using DiSECQ, is fine however. In theory you *should* also be able to view channels decrypted on the host using a s**tcam but, at the moment, this is a bit hit and miss. I've personally found Skyview to be the more reliable of the two at the moment.

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Spiderbox 9000HD, Super DARK MOTOR, 80cm Dish, SKY+ HD, HTPC w/7MC
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
latest progdvb with Video Server 1.4 BETA works a treat...

TV_From_The_Sky

Reaction score
Cheers for the replys. I have taken a shufty around the Technisat site and I may end up going down this route.

I did see in Digital Satellite Choice the Kaon KVR1000plus, interesting box and appears to allow use through a LAN; but I did want to avoid having yet another box!