ses astra first signal 8k 23.5 e

solly

Specialist Contributor
My Location
Tel Aviv, Israel
Claiming to be at the forefront of television developments, SES will be broadcasting an 8K television signal via its satellite system for the first time during the annual SES Industry Days, held in Luxembourg on May 23rd and 24th.

Relying on the new DVB-S2X standard that enables greater efficiency, the transmission will be carried out on a single 36 MHz transponder on ASTRA 3B. With a resolution of 7680×4320 pixels, the video will be encoded in HEVC and transmitted at a rate of 80 Mbit/s, which is four times higher than for a 4K signal. In addition, the test transmission will use a native IP formatted signal, providing some insights into the requirements of a future All-IP broadcast infrastructure for television.

For this demonstration, SES has partnered with Spin Digital, which developed the expertise to decode and playback 8K HEVC signals in real-time using a software solution, and also encoded the content using its HEVC encoder. In addition, SES teamed up with Sharp / UMC, which is providing the 8K screens.

The 8K content, with a frame rate of 60 frames per second and 10-bit colour depth, features native 8K camera footage provided by PSNC (Poznan Supercomputing and Networking Center) and an 8K animation (CGI) provided by Unigine Corp.

“Even though 8K remains challenging with the video codecs available today, and is several years away from introduction to consumer homes, this demonstration shows that satellites are now capable of carrying 8K signals,” said Thomas Wrede, VP, New Technology & Standards at SES Video. “As we always strive to take the video experience to the next level, we are very proud to provide this exciting glimpse at the future of television. At the same time, we continue to be very much focused on supporting our customers and partners in bringing current technologies, such as 4K UHD and HDR, to consumer homes.”
 
what it means?
the test transmission will use a native IP formatted signal
 
Forgive me for being a pessimist, but 4K is hardly a rip roaring success at the moment. Just my opinion of course, but I can see 4K going the way 3D did....
 
Can someone dump the TS stream for us and share?
 
It's not using DVBS-2X atm, but it is using a native IP format, not got any video, only audio(music), and not seen it using anything near 80Mbps so far.

Satellite: Astra 3B 23.5E
Transponder: 12685 MHz
Polarization: Horizontal
Symbol Rate: 30000
FEC: 3/4
Modulation: 16APSK
Standard: DVB-S2
-
This is the properties from MPC-HC....

Video: HEVC 7680x4320 60fps [V: hevc main 10, yuv420p10le, 7680x4320]
Audio: AAC 48000Hz stereo 302kbps [A: aac lc, 48000 Hz, stereo, 302 kb/s]

Using MPC-BE crashes the video driver, so must be attempting the switch to 8k.
 
I receive this frequency with my HD51 but is reported as 8PSK. The STB downloads a no name service with no audio and video as expected!
Will search with my TBS tomorrow.
How do you stream the channel and decode the contents in IP format?
 
Forgive me for being a pessimist, but 4K is hardly a rip roaring success at the moment. Just my opinion of course, but I can see 4K going the way 3D did....
You can't compare 3D with 4K tbh, one is a 'Standard' the other is a 'Format', I think 4k will be the new 'PAL' ie. It will be around for a long time, there is little point to these tests atm, 8K may end up being used in Cinemas eventually, but there will be little benefit to 99% of homes as you will need a TV the size of your living room wall to get the benefit.
8K on a 55" TV will look just like 4K to the consumer, you can't sell that imho.

I receive this frequency with my HD51 but is reported as 8PSK. The STB downloads a no name service with no audio and video as expected!
Will search with my TBS tomorrow.
How do you stream the channel and decode the contents in IP format?
That's interesting, does the Mutant receive all 16apsk feeds?
 
You can't compare 3D with 4K tbh, one is a 'Standard' the other is a 'Format', I think 4k will be the new 'PAL' ie. It will be around for a long time, there is little point to these tests atm, 8K may end up being used in Cinemas eventually, but there will be little benefit to 99% of homes as you will need a TV the size of your living room wall to get the benefit.
8K on a 55" TV will look just like 4K to the consumer, you can't sell that imho.


That's interesting, does the Mutant receive all 16apsk feeds?
I wasn't trying to compare them Dave, I know one is a 'standard' and the other a 'format' I'm merely pointing out that in my opinion it 4K will die a death as did 3D for TV viewing. I think most people are happy enough with HD.
 
Looks like the new driver detects everything as 8PSK despite their constellation. Another bug that should be reported.
This is not the case though, I asked how you decoded the IP content, I got a 600MB ts dump and want to see what's inside!
 
Looks like the new driver detects everything as 8PSK despite their constellation. Another bug that should be reported.
This is not the case though, I asked how you decoded the IP content, I got a 600MB ts dump and want to see what's inside!
I used tsreader in IP mode, i then saved a portion and tried it in various players, none of which displayed a picture only sound. The 'properties' of the file in mpc-hc show it is the 8k stream. Didn't really have time to further examine it tbh.
 
I wasn't trying to compare them Dave, I know one is a 'standard' and the other a 'format' I'm merely pointing out that in my opinion it 4K will die a death as did 3D for TV viewing. I think most people are happy enough with HD.
I'm not lol. I think 4k take up will take longer, but inevitably it will become the main standard as HD now, even now not everything is in HD on tv, but more and more is each year and I think the same will happen with 4k........ maybe over a longer timeframe though.
 
I'm not lol. I think 4k take up will take longer, but inevitably it will become the main standard as HD now, even now not everything is in HD on tv, but more and more is each year and I think the same will happen with 4k........ maybe over a longer timeframe though.

Possibly Dave, but a serious lack of 4K at the moment, has me wondering...
 
I used tsreader in IP mode, i then saved a portion and tried it in various players, none of which displayed a picture only sound. The 'properties' of the file in mpc-hc show it is the 8k stream. Didn't really have time to further examine it tbh.

See this is I don't know how to do.... I rarely used TSreader! :(
 
Is the signal lost tonight?
 
Is the signal lost tonight?

Claiming to be at the forefront of television developments, SES will be broadcasting an 8K television signal via its satellite system for the first time during the annual SES Industry Days, held in Luxembourg on May 23rd and 24th.

”
 
is there any of you with a .ts dump file ?
I was not active during these 2 days of 8K demo
Thanks in advance
 
I wasn't trying to compare them Dave, I know one is a 'standard' and the other a 'format' I'm merely pointing out that in my opinion it 4K will die a death as did 3D for TV viewing. I think most people are happy enough with HD.

If you are of the persuasion that the current standard for HD is only there to sell consumer screens then you are completely correct.
3D will never die, it simply gets reincarnated every twenty years or so, awaiting the time when either technology catches up, or a price break means it becomes viable. Concert goers are already getting dead people perform for them, soon it will be in the home.

 
Back
Top