Setting up a dual lnb

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Hi been around setting up various sats from Italy to the UK for the last few years, Anyhow I am back in Italy down deep south. I have my kids coming over and I have turned the 80cm dish I have here to astra 2n getting some of the channels not bad I think the lnb has seen better days so I am going to replace it, I noticed as usual some of the kids channels like pop and tiny pop are on Eutelsat 28A but as I am pointing at astra which is 28.2 the signal from Eutelsat 28.5 is pretty bad, I have a bog standard dish so I was thinking of getting a dual lnb to setup both sats as they are so close. Can anyone recommend the hardware ideally ebay. as we are closing up the house in London and ideally i want it posted here or get it fast to London next week while I am there.

Thanks

gibertini

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HDSE SIM 2.10 80CM ORBITAL FIXED@28.2E
My Location
53.6N 2.4W
28.2e and 28.5e are seen by your dish as the same position so you dont need another lnb. the problem is since the new satellites went into service the footprint has changed and is much tighter at 28.2e although you should have success with 2e/2f europe beams

Attachments

• ASTRA_2E_europe_ku_band_beam_L.jpg
    ASTRA_2E_europe_ku_band_beam_L.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 34
  • ASTRA_2F_europe_ku_band_beam_L.jpg
    ASTRA_2F_europe_ku_band_beam_L.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 32

Kaizer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ASTRA 19.2, HOTBIRD 13., AB3, Nilsat , ASTRA 2
My Location
South
hi,
a dual lnb is set for a more distant sat, a minumum of 3 degree is necessary .
as for the sat in question you should be able to have them both .
if not , i'ts because of the feed fixed for UK only and are difficult to have in southern europe.
for the materiels you shoulchange your dish 110 cm to avoid any signal loss for this sat .

Thanks

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
28.2E and 28.5E do not require 2 separate LNB's, just the one.
Try maximising the signal quality on the weaker 28.5E channels, by adjusting the dish, and if you haven't already, skewing the LNB.
Only a bigger dish will really improve the signal quality levels, but a newer, better quality, LNB, can provide a little extra signal.

Beaten to it, some quick typists, on the forum, today !!!!!!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The bird at 28.5E is due to leave service in a few months, so it's likely that any widebeam signals from its replacement will be stronger.

Also, there is no 2N (If you meant 1N, that shuffled off to 19.2E when 2E became operational).

Apart from the ageing Eutelsat bird, there are new birds 2E and 2F, with 2G to come soon. The old 2A bird is still in use, too.

2C is also on station but can be disregarded as it isn't doing anything of apparent value.

To complicate matters further, the nominal 28.2E and 28.5E positions have become blurred and the precise positioning of the newer bird suggests the plan might be to keep them somewhat closer to each other.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
As for the experiences of others down the southern end of Italy, do have a look at this reception map, produced by our very own Analoguesat.

A much bigger dish may be needed.

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Thanks everyone for the overwhelming response, I got it best try replace the lnb and and skew it, Anyone got any advise on good lnb to get ?

Thanks again

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
I've found the Opticum LQP-04H is a good quad LNB. For a single output LNB I'd use a Inverto Black Ultra.

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Cheers just bought a black ultra pick it up this week when I am home and hopefully that will sort out the signal loss after skewing and a bit more alignment. I don't want to get a dish as I plan to move from here when the whole family arrives just wanted some UK TV for the kids. Thanks again for the quick replies.