Advice Needed setup start motorised

DeafLion

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate
My Location
Stafford UK
hello everybody, me is deaf and poor english
so please try understand what i say n mean...
i have buy new Technomate TM-5402 and Technomate dish 80cm and Technomate TM-2600 motor and Technomate TM-1 LNB
oh yes everythings is Technomate
i am now ready to setup motor on pole but i wonder what point start...
mine is Latitude is 52.8237* Longitude is -2.1376* high about 15ft
i have compass, satfinder meter,
which will i start point dish to?
motorised angle ? degree ???
dish angle ? degree ???
which point goto ? south or ?

because i am first time with motorised that why.

many thank you if you help and explain.
cheerio

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Motor elevation 36.5º
Declination 6.9º
Send the motor to zero, then
Send to 1W and align to that.

And make sure you are starting with a vertical pole.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Hi DeafLion and welcome to the forum.

My best advice is to read through all the motorised set up tutorials on the site, (several times) starting with this one...

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...sed-dish-installation-downloadable-pdf.57976/

Your due south satellite should be Thor at 1W. Have you made sure you have a clear line of sight to the satellite arc? Check this out through this thread

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/threads/dishpointer-website.159666/

Most important point is to make sure the mounting pole is 100% level in all directions. Don't worry if you don't get instant results or get stuck. Post again on here and we'll try to help...

DeafLion

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate
My Location
Stafford UK
Motor elevation 36.5º
Declination 6.9º
Send the motor to zero, then
Send to 1W and align to that.

And make sure you are starting with a vertical pole.
Declination ??? what mean ?
sorry my english poor n dont understand some hard word...

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Declination ??? what mean ?
sorry my english poor n dont understand some hard word...

Another interpretation:

Find the Latitude Scale on the Motor and set it to 53 deg (This corresponds to the 36.5 deg on the Motor Elevation scale): Usually the Latitude and Elevation Scales are on opposite sides of the Motor Bracket. We tend to work only with the Latitude scale as it is unambiguous.

Then roughly set the Dish Backplate to 24 deg (No need to worry about what Declination means, or its significance).

Then ensure your Latitude and Longitude are entered into the USALS screen on your Box

Select Thor at 1W

Then adjust the Dish for best Quality:

Azimuth (Bearing) is corrected by slowly moving the entire Motor and Dish assembly around the Pole (Do not move the Dish around the Motor stub)

Elevation is corrected by gently adjusting the Dish Elevation only, using the Backplate on the Dish (Do not alter the Motor Bracket).

Once you have best reception on Thor, drive the Dish to other Satellites to check it is tracking properly.

DeafLion

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate
My Location
Stafford UK
Another interpretation:

Find the Latitude Scale on the Motor and set it to 53 deg (This corresponds to the 36.5 deg on the Motor Elevation scale): Usually the Latitude and Elevation Scales are on opposite sides of the Motor Bracket. We tend to work only with the Latitude scale as it is unambiguous.

Then roughly set the Dish Backplate to 24 deg (No need to worry about what Declination means, or its significance).

Then ensure your Latitude and Longitude are entered into the USALS screen on your Box

Select Thor at 1W

Azimuth (Bearing) is corrected by slowly moving the entire Motor and Dish assembly around the Pole (Do not move the Dish around the Motor stub)

Elevation is corrected by gently adjusting the Dish Elevation only, using the Backplate on the Dish (Do not alter the Motor Bracket).

Once you have best reception on Thor, drive the Dish to other Satellites to check it is tracking properly.

i canot find USALS on my TM-2600 i only can see Goto X a DiSEqC 1.2 & 1.3 that all
i am going setup dish today hope weather be good - wish me good luck :-D
motor = 36 deg
dish = 24 deg
point to south
then check good quality then that it
hope this right ?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Goto x is the same as Usals.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
DiSEqC 1.3 is USALS ................................ The former is an unofficial designation in common use owing to USALS being the intellectual property of STAB. Strictly, the USALS logo can only be used if the product has been Certified by STAB - not that it seems to matter much in practice!

So, select DiSEqC 1.3 and you will find that you can then enter your Latitude and Longitude.

And when you say Motor = 36, that's Motor Elevation = 36 (Equivalent to Motor Latitude 53). It is vital that you use the correct scale on the Motor bracket.

zorbua

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD
Dreambox 800se
Dreambox 900UHD
Clark Tech 5000 HD
Numerous other receivers (Retired)
Dish Gibertini 1.5 M
Dishes Gibertini 1.2 x2
Dish Gibertini 1 M
My Location
Malta
Another interpretation:

Select Thor at 1W

Very lucid explanation Tivu. Well done.:-applause

DeafLion

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate
My Location
Stafford UK
Fail cannot find Thor
i have check
TM-2600 motor is 36 ok
Dish is 24 ok
point is clear south
set meter see nothing there, i try little move dish east to west still nothing
might something no right
i have check LNB see zero line check and all check again that right what all you say but fail :-(
maybe am i wrong setting ?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
What kind of satellite meter are you using?
Can you please upload some pictures, of the dish, so that we can see anything obvious that doesn't look correct.
Even the cheap satellite meters are very useful, for checking connections, and finding a satellite, as when connected they light up, to show power is being received, and you adjust the sensitivity, with the knob, so that it will read 5 even when not pointing at a satellite, this way even the merest hint of a satellite signal will send it to 10.
You then turn the knob to the right, to get it to 5 again, then adjust the dish some more, until you have the strongest signal possible, this includes adjusting the elevation.

DeafLion

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate
My Location
Stafford UK
What kind of satellite meter are you using?
Can you please upload some pictures, of the dish, so that we can see anything obvious that doesn't look correct.
Even the cheap satellite meters are very useful, for checking connections, and finding a satellite, as when connected they light up, to show power is being received, and you adjust the sensitivity, with the knob, so that it will read 5 even when not pointing at a satellite, this way even the merest hint of a satellite signal will send it to 10.
You then turn the knob to the right, to get it to 5 again, then adjust the dish some more, until you have the strongest signal possible, this includes adjusting the elevation.
i will try use satellite meter later morning, yesterday was satlink ws-6906 might me wrong find it so will use meter i have if i find fail then will photo it

zorbua

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD
Dreambox 800se
Dreambox 900UHD
Clark Tech 5000 HD
Numerous other receivers (Retired)
Dish Gibertini 1.5 M
Dishes Gibertini 1.2 x2
Dish Gibertini 1 M
My Location
Malta
Fail cannot find Thor
i have check
TM-2600 motor is 36 ok
Dish is 24 ok
point is clear south
set meter see nothing there, i try little move dish east to west still nothing
might something no right
i have check LNB see zero line check and all check again that right what all you say but fail :-(
maybe am i wrong setting ?

Properly check that although the Dish Elevation is correct that is to say that 24Deg make sure that the Pole is really plumb (straight) otherwise if not
you have to take in consideration by how much it is out and adjust the markings on Dish accordingly. In other words tilt the dish slightly up and down to
find the correct elevation to the Satellite. With elevation you have to be quite precise.

DeafLion

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate
My Location
Stafford UK
Properly check that although the Dish Elevation is correct that is to say that 24Deg make sure that the Pole is really plumb (straight) otherwise if not
you have to take in consideration by how much it is out and adjust the markings on Dish accordingly. In other words tilt the dish slightly up and down to
find the correct elevation to the Satellite. With elevation you have to be quite precise.
i think i might be wrong south...
i havent setup yet because rain pour heavy rain
hopeful later today.

DeafLion

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate
My Location
Stafford UK
fail again again grrrr, tomorrow will setup again again.
i have use 4 meters which include the two below.
so i will try step to step first i know where is Astra 28.0E - 23.5E (mine dish use there at moment)
will go step to 19.2E if found then will next to hotbird 13E then goto eutelsat 7E then go on step till got thor 0.8w
might good idea but i find info say need move LNB skew i need explain about this one...
hope will found once, if no then i get someone fix it for me ££££££ ?

Attachments

• adjust-satellite-finder-to-full.gif
    adjust-satellite-finder-to-full.gif
    72.6 KB · Views: 524
  • Digital Satellite Finder.jpg
    Digital Satellite Finder.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Have you set everything up correctly? Motor pointing to zero, latitude, & longitude positions entered into your receiver, if using Usals, DISEqC 1.3, thanks to Tivu, then used the receiver to move the motor, and dish, to Thor, 0.8W. Remember negative longitude readings = West, positive = East.
Try using the first satellite meter again, unplug your receiver, connect the meter to your LNB, at the dish, then to your receiver cable.
Now plug in, and turn on, your receiver.
The display, on the satellite meter, should light up, showing the cable is sending power.
If it is turn the knob left, to increase sensitivity, until the meter reads about 5, midway, it will be able to do this even though your dish is not pointing at any satellite.
Now gently move your dish, and motor assembly, East, or West, left, or right, until the meter shoots up to 10. Now decrease the sensitivity, by turning the knob right, until it reaches 5 again.
Gently nudge the dish, and motor, in the same direction, until the meter goes to 10 again, then once again decrease the sensitivity until it reads 5.
Continue doing this until you have the strongest signal possible.
Now do the same with the elevation, get the meter reading 5, and adjust the dish/motor bracket so it tilts slightly forward, or backward, so the meter once again goes to 10. Decrease the sensitivity, turn the knob to the right, until it reads 5, and once again continue until you have the strongest signal.
Once done go to your receiver and scan in a few channels.
Make a note of the channels frequency, Polarity, Symbol Rate, and if possible the name, from the channel onscreen logo, or teletext, then check with lyngsat.com to see which satellite you are on, or post the details on here and other members will try to identify them for you.
Please post back if the meter doesn't light up, this will probably be due to a dodgy connection, as when tightening a F connector it sometimes cuts all the braid, you've left.

Attachments

• f-connector.jpg
    f-connector.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 57

DeafLion

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate
My Location
Stafford UK
Have you set everything up correctly? Motor pointing to zero, latitude, & longitude positions entered into your receiver, if using Usals, DISEqC 1.3, thanks to Tivu, then used the receiver to move the motor, and dish, to Thor, 0.8W. Remember negative longitude readings = West, positive = East.
Try using the first satellite meter again, unplug your receiver, connect the meter to your LNB, at the dish, then to your receiver cable.
Now plug in, and turn on, your receiver.
The display, on the satellite meter, should light up, showing the cable is sending power.
If it is turn the knob left, to increase sensitivity, until the meter reads about 5, midway, it will be able to do this even though your dish is not pointing at any satellite.
Now gently move your dish, and motor assembly, East, or West, left, or right, until the meter shoots up to 10. Now decrease the sensitivity, by turning the knob right, until it reaches 5 again.
Gently nudge the dish, and motor, in the same direction, until the meter goes to 10 again, then once again decrease the sensitivity until it reads 5.
Continue doing this until you have the strongest signal possible.
Now do the same with the elevation, get the meter reading 5, and adjust the dish/motor bracket so it tilts slightly forward, or backward, so the meter once again goes to 10. Decrease the sensitivity, turn the knob to the right, until it reads 5, and once again continue until you have the strongest signal.
Once done go to your receiver and scan in a few channels.
Make a note of the channels frequency, Polarity, Symbol Rate, and if possible the name, from the channel onscreen logo, or teletext, then check with lyngsat.com to see which satellite you are on, or post the details on here and other members will try to identify them for you.
Please post back if the meter doesn't light up, this will probably be due to a dodgy connection, as when tightening a F connector it sometimes cuts all the braid, you've left.
i have good target only i know where is Astra 28.0E found in 23.E work great
then need move dish to Thor 0.8W or 1.0W oh dear hard for me find right place
take me slow step to step but i am no sure about LNB skew some say LNB skew need turn to -1 i use is Technomate TM-1
i cannot find where LNB skew line...

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
The LNB skew is just where the LNB is rotated. Forget about this.
When the motor is at zero the LNB should be straight down, not skewed, rotated, at all, as zero should point to your True South, which is basically your Longitude.
You will not find 0.8W if you have moved your dish manually to 28.2E, as your elevation will be out.
Please ensure your motor is at zero, enter your co-ordinates into your receiver, latitude, and longitude, using the DISEqC 1.3 option, then move it to the satellite you want to use for alignment. You can use any but probably best to use a strong transponder near to your true south position.

To assist you finding 0.8W use dishpointer.com.
Type in your Postcode, then from the drop down satellite box select 0.8W.
You now zoom in on the map, to your house, and move the green icon to where you have your dish sited.
Look at the green line to where approximately your dish should be pointing.

Last edited: