Should a newbie start with a Dreambox?

Begtets

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyStar2 receiver, 88cm Triax dish, Moteck 2100A motor, Vista MCE x86 (1TB), Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T, lots of X10 etc
My Location
Hull, UK
A mate of mine has seen my motorized Skystar2 rig, and wants his own.
He's not technical though (sales), and doesn't have a PC in the lounge.
I don't know much about Dreamboxes, but figure if he can buy one pre-modded with auto-updating keys for footy matches, he'd be a really happy bunny.

Is that too much to hope for? Are they more complicated than that? Can you get them 'pre-modded'?

There's a local installer who can put up the dish and stuff, but he doesn't sell motorized systems.

_stu_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7025 + 90cm Fibo Dish with Moteck SG2100A mod + Inverto White 0.3dB lnb + 55cm Philips Gregorian + Stab HH-120 + modded BGSat 0.3dB lnb
My Location
Worcs
It takes quite a bit of learning and work to get a system set up with "auto-updating" keys, and the system will require a fair amount of maintenance. If your mate is not prepared for a steep learning curve and lots of late nights sorting it out then he's better off with something simpler.

As for 'premodded' dreamboxes, you'll have to ask the individual dealers. I don't think any would advertise.

Begtets

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyStar2 receiver, 88cm Triax dish, Moteck 2100A motor, Vista MCE x86 (1TB), Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T, lots of X10 etc
My Location
Hull, UK
What sort of 'maintenance' would be involved? My Skystar system automatically updates it's softcam.key file daily and so I don't need to do anything to it (unlesss the url dies - *touching wood*).
I guess I may want to update the list of sats or channels at some point in the future, but I can get all the channels I want to see (footy) already.

If the dreamboxes are more admin than that, I tell him to leave it alone. Otherwise, I'll tell him to wait until someone on here upgrades and maybe he can buy their old *configured* box.

Does anyone have a key updating dreambox and NOT tinker with it on a weekly basis?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There will come a time with whatever he buys, when he will have to do a bit of tinkering. Whilst mine requires a simple press of a button to update the keys, there are times when the CAM needs updating as well and this may need to be done using FTP, so not best for someone with no knowledge or interest.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Begtets said:
He's not technical though (sales)

Doh! That's written-off half the population of the country at a single swipe ;)

A 'Pre-configured' box won't stay that way for long, and I would advise against it for all 'sales staff' for that very reason :-rofl2

Half the reason many people get them is because they enjoy the pain of staying up all night waiting for the anticipated emu or key release, and then knackering their Dreambox with it :D

Read the IG, and you'll discover just how many fiddley key file bits and bobs you can have if you really like pain. You can make it a lot simpler if you want though, but then you become less flexible.

If he just wants to watch football, buy him an ART or Digitalb card.

STICK

Begtets

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hull, UK
Loud and clear. I'll let him know.

Thanks guys (as ever).

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Begtets said:
Loud and clear. I'll let him know.

Thanks guys (as ever).

Yep I agree with what the others said, and a Dreambox without a permanently connected computer and internet connection is not worth having.

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
a dreambox without it's own access to the net is not going to be doing anywhere near what it should be doing. as for a newbie starting off with a dreambox, well i did. started off with three in fact, and a complicated satellite install, but i know my way round a computer, and i tell ya, it has taken me a long time to get everything to work the way it is suppose to! even now, there is a couple of niggles, but overall a happy bunny!

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
Not technical...

If your mate is good with a PC then maybe he will learn plenty given time.

as for the PC not being in the same room as the TV etc, thats not a problem. either a wireless router or a long Cat5 cable will do the trick.

i had heard all the same stories about dreamboxes, but i took on the challenge simply because im good with a PC (if i dont mind saying so myself :) )

i also like gadgets :D and the dreambox is a big gadget.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
RedDevil_UK said:
Not technical...

If your mate is good with a PC then maybe he will learn plenty given time.

as for the PC not being in the same room as the TV etc, thats not a problem. either a wireless router or a long Cat5 cable will do the trick.

i had heard all the same stories about dreamboxes, but i took on the challenge simply because im good with a PC (if i dont mind saying so myself :) )

i also like gadgets :D and the dreambox is a big gadget.

I am not that good with computers other than the basic stuff, and I did not have a clue about Dreamboxes, sats or Linux. But I am stubborn determined to watch Premiership Football - and, most important: I can read, so... here we are today, haven't missed a game for ages :)