Should i get a genuine or a clone?

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu uno, VU Duo2, sky dish, 2 zone 2 dishes for 19.2 and 23.5. Satlink meter, rover STCeu meter. Tripod with a dish for messing around.
My Location
North West England
Yes they do run the gemini firmware without issue. a friend has one. to be honest nabilosat seems to be the image of choice. i was running 0.8 on my 500 clone for ages! i was also duped in to the 500 clone purchase paying 130 quid! gutted.

dvb monky are now advertising the 800 for 225. now there are quite a few clons knocking around and no doubt some are better than others.

I still dont know and i will be making a purchase tonight i think.

zoro25

Attack of the Clones
Reaction score
Website
www.thetestmanager.com
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800 - Nabilosat Image and 250gig Hard-drive (pointing at 28.2E)
Dreambox 7020 with 120 gig hard-drive disk - running a motorised dish
DM600 +DM500
although only usually the 800 and 7020 are both on.
My Location
UK
let us know how it goes.
Also please post on the set up and any issues you get on either choice of box.

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu uno, VU Duo2, sky dish, 2 zone 2 dishes for 19.2 and 23.5. Satlink meter, rover STCeu meter. Tripod with a dish for messing around.
My Location
North West England
will do, at the moment i am swinging towards the genuine...

vinayr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500s
My Location
New Zealand
I suppose if you buy a clone it's a bit like buying a late model PC or laptop and only being able to load Windows 95 on it .

Where as if you buy a Genuine you could put 64 bit Vista (and upgrade to Window 7 ) or really bite the bullet and put Linux on it :)

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West England
Hmm, i dont think i would look at it quite the same way, the reason i am getting a genuine which i have found for £399 is because you got 12 months warranty! thats about it.

zoro25

Attack of the Clones
Reaction score
Website
www.thetestmanager.com
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800 - Nabilosat Image and 250gig Hard-drive (pointing at 28.2E)
Dreambox 7020 with 120 gig hard-drive disk - running a motorised dish
DM600 +DM500
although only usually the 800 and 7020 are both on.
My Location
UK
The thing is that its hard to tell some times if your getting a clone or original and I'm sure there are loads of people out there who will get stung.

A nonymous

Reaction score
If you buy from an Authorised Dream Multimedia retailer you won't get stung. Buy from antwhere else and the likelyhood is that you will end up with a clone :-doh! _www.satstore.co.uk is a good place to look for a genuine item.

No idea about the Enigma 2 boxes, but i've had a few Enigma1 clone boxes and i've had no problems with any of them, apart from the Eaglebox which was just sh*te.

The majority of the clone boxes i have had have been very well built and have performed as good if not better than the original boxes.

As long as you stay away from anywhere near Gemini your clone Enigma 1 box will be fine.

What gets me is if Dream Multimedia are so worried about clones why don't they just drop their prices instead of ripping everyone off all the time. The drop in price would mean that more people would go for the genuine item rather than a clone. Its a no brainer really.

If the Chinese can build, package (In identical packing) and ship their boxes for half the price and still make a profit then there is no reason why Dream can't either. Its just shear greed at the end of the day.

This is why i own 2 Technomate Linux boxes, I know they aren't clones and for the best part they do everything aswell as any of my Dreamboxes ever did. OK the TM9100 was horrendous when it first came out, but now its a very stable box which does everything that my 7020 does.

I'm happy with my TM boxes, so much so i sold my DM600 rather than my TM9100 :eek:

There are other brands out there which perform aswell as anything that has come out of the Dream Multimedia factory for half the price if you just look for them

Anyway thats my bit said

:-beer

NNano