showtime sat channel on7w

renibacterium

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have posted this information on several other forums......

The situation with Nilesat is really very simple. If you want vertical channels this is pretty easy with a reasonable sized dish. If you want horizontal channels then you will need a much bigger dish. Here is a guide I produced for another forum:-

With regards to the UK and Nilesat 7W reception, the further east and the further south you are, the better the signal. The further west and north you go the weaker the signal. Reception is also better when the weather is good and gets better from about 9pm in the evening till about 4 or 6am in the morning and then weakens through the day hours. Vertical channels are much, much stronger.

Rough guide for horizontal channels (the weakest ones)

Tip of Kent 1.0 -1.2 m
London / South coast 1.2 -1.5m
East Anglia 1.5 -1.8m
Bristol South Wales 1.8-2.0m
SW Eng 2.0 -2.4m
Midlands, South Ireland 2.4 - 3.0m
Lancashire & Yorkshire North Wales Northern Ireland 3 -3.5m
Boarders Tyneside 4.0m+
Scotland ?? yikes

Vertical channels require much smaller dishes and can be obtained as far north as Scotland on not too big a dish.

Vertical only
Tip of Kent 60cm
London / South coast 80cm
East Anglia 1.0m
Bristol South Wales 1.0m
SW Eng 1.0m
Midlands 1.0 -1.2m
Lancashire & Yorkshire North Wales Ireland 1.0-1.5m
Boarders Tyneside1.2-1.5m
Scotland 1.2-2.0m-

reni

john evans

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tm 5400 ci 80cm motorised dish
My Location
south wales
could any members in s.wales or the west country who recieve this sat please post under this thread,so i can try and work out what system ineed to buy to try and receive it thanks

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
I have moved a useful post by renibacterium to your thread which you might find useful.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
From the posts around the forum, and working from memory Id say some of those dish sizes in the top post are wrong for the H polarity channels. :D

South Wales - around 2.4m in the Cardiff area
Lancashire - very few reports that far north, but 2.4m probably in the Manchester area

Scottish Borders and further north - forget it :-rofl2

Problem is of course that extreme fringe reception is at best a guess for the H polarity stuff, very few folks have dishes big enough to even have a go, amnd as we know from the Astra 2D situation the signal strengths vary greatly over the distance of a few miles.

renibacterium

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
People constantly ask about 7W reception. My posting above is a rough guide as it states .

In South Wales, ( eastern part near Bristol) a 1.8m will do for 7W H, but remember the more west and north you go, a bigger dish is required, so for North Wales I state 3 to 3.5m.

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...size-info-nilesat-7w-western-europe-uk-2.html

see post 31

For Cardiff a 1.8/2.0 good quality dish should suffice (eg. Channel Master/Andrews or IRTE)but with lesser quality dishes (you know the ones!) a 2.4m may be required.

For Lancs the only person I have seen receiving 7W H on a 2.4m dish is Keano. Generally I would recommend a 3 to 3.5m dish for Lancs/Yorks area.

garyg

Reaction score
Website
garygoodger.com
My Satellite Setup
Nothing at the moment :(
My Location
Berkshire
Hi,

I am new here, my installer recommended i sign up.

just set up a channel master 1.2 in an attempt to get showtime in Reading/Berkshire

I am getting all the Verticles no problem, 56% signal

but the H as not strong enough, at night time i get 38% signal, daytime about 29%

so going to upgrade to a 1.8channel master, do you guys think this will be ok?

FORKS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5M Gibby Dish 62E-40.5W ,75cm for 52.5 Turkman SAT,
+ Long 60M CT125 cable run , TBS 6983 , TBS 6922.
My Location
West London 51.45 N
Hi garyG,

I get most H transponders 24/7 including the main showtime 11996H and 12073H transponder with a 1.3M eurostar dish in West london about 25 miles from you.(but in heavy rain and i lose most H tranponders)
A good lnb is the key and mm perfect setup of the dish.
I use sharp Lnb's.

Mike

garyg

Reaction score
Website
garygoodger.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
thanks for the replys,

are you getting the showtime sports H transponder on a 1.3 dish?

I think i need to purchase a better lnb, does anyone know the best place/one for a channel master 1.2

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You ideally need the matched feedhorn Gary and a C120 LNB. But remember that there are reception hotspots and 30 miles distance can sometimes make a big difference.

garyg

Reaction score
Website
garygoodger.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
i think the 1.8 is coming with an "uprated" feedhorn that the guy got from channel master, apparently cost him an extra £100 and comes with the official lnb, so might be good.

I am collecting it all tomorrow just does not have a mount so going to have to make one up some how

antenna1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4M fixed and 1.0m Dish& Technomate receiver,
My Location
UK
There is no uprated feed horn or official lnb and channel master have not been a company since 2003 i think it was sold to andrews and now the vsat department was sold last year is now owned by asc if the guy has added a extra £100 to the cost of the feedhorn he has scamed you big time as for the lnb a invacom or inverto c120 will be fine.

As far as i know there are a few feedhorns they do some only cover parts of the kuband and there is one that does L&R if i am right the is a .pdf on the asc site if you take a look it will tell you.

garyg said:
i think the 1.8 is coming with an "uprated" feedhorn that the guy got from channel master, apparently cost him an extra £100 and comes with the official lnb, so might be good.

I am collecting it all tomorrow just does not have a mount so going to have to make one up some how

garyg

Reaction score
Website
garygoodger.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
nah he paid an extra 100 apparently, im paying penuts for the setup :D

conan451

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
unix 500
My Location
Home
sorry to open an old thread, but gary did you get a good signal with your 1.8? i guess you did seen as you bought a card? whats it like during the day and do you get the sports?

Im in hampshire and looking at the same dish you are using.

garyg

Reaction score
Website
garygoodger.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
conan451 said:
sorry to open an old thread, but gary did you get a good signal with your 1.8? i guess you did seen as you bought a card? whats it like during the day and do you get the sports?

Im in hampshire and looking at the same dish you are using.

Hi mate, what part of hampshire? Got some mates in fleet :)

And yes showtime was perfect all year bar heavy rain. 50-55% signal in the dry.

But you wont get ADMC sports as its 7.2W and no good in the UK :(

conan451

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
unix 500
My Location
Home
Thanks for your reply, ive been reading your other adventures in your most recent posts.... kept me entertained and enlightened me alot.

Love the dish in your garden.

Im in Four Marks, about 20m south of fleet. I take it show time aren't renewing there epl rights this season?. But the dish seems like the one i would like to get. It's had a lot of good reviews and as you have mentioned in other topics the 2.4 is just way to expensive even though over time you'd have paid for it anyway with more expensive veiwing cards, but you can't justify the cost for a hobby.