Signal Delay

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
This morning, the VHF radio in the bedroom was tuned to Radio 4 for Desert Island Discs. The Freeview box in the living room was tuned to the same programme. I was in the kitchen and could hear both, but the Freeview signal was about 1 second behind that on the VHF set. Both signals were coming from the same transmitter so, if Einstein was correct and the speed of light is the same everywhere, why was there a time lag?

:confused

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Obvously coming from different places before they reach the transmitter mast Wolsty. In fact everyone is aware that satellite signals of terrestrial channels lag behind terrestrial channels, even the Freeview ones, but Channel 5 is obviously taken from the sat feed, as it lags behind satellite when shown on Freeview. :)

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
I knew there'd be a simple answer that I'd missed!

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
That makes sense but I think there is more to it than that, here's why.

If I have the dreambox on the same channel as a FTA reciever they are also out of sync. So I think it's the box as well.

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
Another thought occurs to me. Which channel carries the time signal by which I should set my watch? (It's an academic question, as I use the atomic clock on the Internet).

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
For the time signal I would use Radio 4 Long Wave ;)

The signal delay could also be due to the signal processing into digital format.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Signal lags are quite noticable if you try watching Formula 1 coverage in ITV1 nad RTL at the same time. RTL is always around 3 seconds in front of the ITV programming.

The best explaition I ever got was extra signal processing, probably an extra signal hop, delays in framestores etc. I shall be interested to see how far out of synch they are now ITV1 is fta - they should be closer as there isnt the encoding / decoding time lags involved.

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Do you think that delay is long enough to place a bet ?

(Reminds me of the sting)