Signal Level on the Fringes

DonSE2

Member
My Satellite Setup
TD110
My Location
London
The answer to signal level issues is invariably 'get a bigger dish' but i'm wondering specifically about signal low on the horizon. UK based and I can tune 68.5e but the signal fluctuates. For instance one moment the signal might be 11db, few seconds later down to 9 before back up to 11. Sometimes if it drops below locking, I can nudge the motor a couple of steps west/east to bring the signal up before it loses it again and nudge it back to the original position and it's fine. I don't think it's local weather related or any tree leaves. Wondering if there's a different lnb that might be suitable or anything else with the setup or is it just the nature of it being so low on the horizon that only a bigger dish will do?
 
The answer to signal level issues is invariably 'get a bigger dish' but i'm wondering specifically about signal low on the horizon. UK based and I can tune 68.5e but the signal fluctuates. For instance one moment the signal might be 11db, few seconds later down to 9 before back up to 11. Sometimes if it drops below locking, I can nudge the motor a couple of steps west/east to bring the signal up before it loses it again and nudge it back to the original position and it's fine. I don't think it's local weather related or any tree leaves. Wondering if there's a different lnb that might be suitable or anything else with the setup or is it just the nature of it being so low on the horizon that only a bigger dish will do?

Long story short - what you are seeing can be classed as normal. I'll grab an analyser live capture of what i see from North Nottinghamshire when looking at 70.5° East on a roof mounted 1.2mtr CM with an Inverto HOME Pro PLL lnbf.
What size dish have you in operation as a matter of interest
 
when you find yourself receiving satellites this thing can happen to you
I'm at 10 east the extreme east mip is 88 east and I also encounter this problem but even with a larger antenna I think little changes or different lnb

 
Simply download the sat finder app on your mobile phone and look at the AR. You will see where all the satellites are in the sky and if there is any obstacle on the horizon. Another thing is a well-adjusted antenna and of course its size. antenna, of course if the satellite is accessible via Satbeam for your location. You can find an example of an app with which you can help yourself at the link.

Good luck
 
The answer to signal level issues is invariably 'get a bigger dish' but i'm wondering specifically about signal low on the horizon. UK based and I can tune 68.5e but the signal fluctuates. For instance one moment the signal might be 11db, few seconds later down to 9 before back up to 11. Sometimes if it drops below locking, I can nudge the motor a couple of steps west/east to bring the signal up before it loses it again and nudge it back to the original position and it's fine. I don't think it's local weather related or any tree leaves. Wondering if there's a different lnb that might be suitable or anything else with the setup or is it just the nature of it being so low on the horizon that only a bigger dish will do?

I assume this is Ku-Band you are referring to from 68.5E?
If it is, my guess is that a decent dish size to keep a stable lock would be 1.5m, a 1.2m might do it but a 1.5m offers more of a guarantee.
 
when you find yourself receiving satellites this thing can happen to you
I'm at 10 east the extreme east mip is 88 east and I also encounter this problem but even with a larger antenna I think little changes or different lnb


Good examples - saved me a job
 
Long story short - what you are seeing can be classed as normal. I'll grab an analyser live capture of what i see from North Nottinghamshire when looking at 70.5° East on a roof mounted 1.2mtr CM with an Inverto HOME Pro PLL lnbf.
What size dish have you in operation as a matter of interest

Primesat 1.1

I assume this is Ku-Band you are referring to from 68.5E?
If it is, my guess is that a decent dish size to keep a stable lock would be 1.5m, a 1.2m might do it but a 1.5m offers more of a guarantee.

Yep, would love to go bigger, not a cost issue just 1.1 ground mounted on a loft conversion of a terraced house is already pushing the limits wrt to wind and the council. Sadly no 2nd home located on a hill, a remote host would be fine (if they even exist)
 
Primesat 1.1



Yep, would love to go bigger, not a cost issue just 1.1 ground mounted on a loft conversion of a terraced house is already pushing the limits wrt to wind and the council. Sadly no 2nd home located on a hill, a remote host would be fine (if they even exist)


Remote hosts exist, its just a matter of finding them.

If you are ground mounted I dont see why you could not go larger, provided you have enough anchorage.
The real easy get around with the council is to put the mount on a wooden pallet with castors on it, its not classed as a fixed structure so nowt they can do about it.

I have a 2.0m dish 'ere ground mounted on a pallet on castors and get no issues with the wind.
Something like a second hand Gibertini 1.5m dish would work fine on a mobile pallett.

Check out post 14 of this topic, its how I did it
 
The answer to signal level issues is invariably 'get a bigger dish' but i'm wondering specifically about signal low on the horizon. UK based and I can tune 68.5e but the signal fluctuates. For instance one moment the signal might be 11db, few seconds later down to 9 before back up to 11. Sometimes if it drops below locking, I can nudge the motor a couple of steps west/east to bring the signal up before it loses it again and nudge it back to the original position and it's fine. I don't think it's local weather related or any tree leaves. Wondering if there's a different lnb that might be suitable or anything else with the setup or is it just the nature of it being so low on the horizon that only a bigger dish will do?
It will be atmospherics in general
Local weather does have an effect, a far longer path of moisture for the signal to pass through, even if it is a dry day.
Low altitude also means pollution, man made or natural (pollen/toluene from plants, methane from animals)
Additionally reflection of the signal from the ground or low surfaces causing destructive / constructive interference.

A larger dish will most likely not help under the circumstances, raising the dish however (onto a tower) may keep the local issues under better control.
 
Remote hosts exist, its just a matter of finding them.

If you are ground mounted I dont see why you could not go larger, provided you have enough anchorage.
The real easy get around with the council is to put the mount on a wooden pallet with castors on it, its not classed as a fixed structure so nowt they can do about it.

I have a 2.0m dish 'ere ground mounted on a pallet on castors and get no issues with the wind.
Something like a second hand Gibertini 1.5m dish would work fine on a mobile pallett.

Check out post 14 of this topic, its how I did it

Not sure where one would start to look for that sort of thing.....

Yes it's all a trade off. Despite the numerous large dishes exposed on roofs even NPRMs there is something that makes me feel uneasy about it. I have no idea how much a domestic loft conversion could hold, it must be many many multiples of the required ballast. It's completely exposed as well, when the storms roll in even with the 1.1, the dish is bouncing all over the place. And it is rather unsightly for neighbours. In the garden I wouldn't be fussed but then that isn't going to have a view of 68.5.
 
Back
Top