Signal power

Gamboa5000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nextwave S311
My Location
Hello,

I have two indicators in my software's decoder. The first is 'S' (maybe Signal?), and the second is Q (Quality).

What does correspond exactly the S?

I am on hotbird (13°E)
The S corresponds for example to displacement vertical or horizontal? Or doesn't have any report?

I have try to have the S at 100% but I arrive at best only 60%. On the other hand the Q(quality) is 100%.

Why? Because of my geographical area, my cables, the quality of my LNB, the size of the satellite,the quality of the decoder?

Thank you.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Probably your location.
Wherever you are.
Where are you ??
There is an option in your User CP to enter where you are.

L.:)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
'S' is the signal strength, that is the total signal being received by your LNB, which will be the wanted signal from your satellite and other unwanted signals, e.g ground or atmospheric noise.

The Quality signal is that which is decoded by your receiver, !00% means you have theoretically the minimum bit error rate, although you can't really go by what your receiver shows here - another receiver may differ as to what percentage is shown.

Llew

Gamboa5000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nextwave S311
My Location
I'm in Albania.
Llew> I'm french, I don't have understand very well, can you reformulate?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Quality 100% is fine, it means your reciever has enough signal for a 0 bit error rate. All recievers show different signal levels (S) for the same amount of input.

Hope this helps

L.:)

Gamboa5000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nextwave S311
My Location
Thanks. Well, is it possible to go up to 100% for signal rate? And how.

John T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm dish, dual LNB, Topfield TF5010PVR
My Location
North Staffordshire England
I have 100% signal rate, but my quality is about 85%, at times (rarely) I get pixillation. I assume that the high signal strength is due to electric pylons running East/West just south of me, anyway it makes it difficult to align the dish even with a meter. The point being that signal rate is, I beleive, unimportant compared to quality.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Strength is signal strength. In free space it's (electric) field strength in microvolts per meter, at your receiver input it's power in microwatts. Both are particular figures, which would readout on appropriate test equipment, but most sat receivers don't show a numerical value, just a bargraph!

Quality is a measure of received bit error rate, if this exceeds a certain proportion then the MPEG2 bitstream can't be decoded. This is usually measured at the post-Viterbi stage (pre MPEG decode), and again is a particular figure, which some sat receivers show.

Generally speaking, quality goes down (error rate rises) as strength falls, but you can have high strength with still low quality, usually due to interference, possibly bad amplifiers or strong signal reflections on cables.

hobson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
EMETABOX & EUROBOX rx'S 2X 1M DISH +1 2M DISH
My Location
UK
Although the Receiver manufacturers label it signal strength, normal STB's (not professional test equipment) are displaying receiver Agc so it's the window where the Receiver is not overloaded and has enough gain reduction in use to tolerate fading. Depending on the brand the figures vary.