Simple basic advice needed

leecovuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo; 2 dishes; Astra1+2 and Hotbird, Hispasat; external DiSEqC switch.
My Location
Midlands, UK
I've tried to find out and read around, but all is still a mystery to me ...

basically, if I buy a (preferably new?) Magic Cam, do I always have to load it (or something) to make it work with a legimately bought Irdeto/Viaccess subscription card?

I haven't done either yet;

If using a Magic Cam indeed needs any setup which is likely to be difficult, I will probably choose to limit my decoding options and just buy an Irdeto or Viaccess cam. (which I believe work out of the box with a valid compatible card?)

thanks for anything,
lee

ps my pixx receiver is old(ish) and I have been advised by the ex dealer that only Irdeto, Viaccess and Magic cams are supported. There is no embedded decryption.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Hi leecovuk
IMHO do not bother buying a magic cam unless you get it for pence as there is not a lot you can do with it now unless you have access to a CAS2 interface which would allow you to convert it to MR. Beyond that I cannot advise you as I have limited experience with CAMs etc, if you are intent on buying a valid subscription then I would have thought it more prudent to have the correct cam as even if you bought a Dragon, you would then have to spend even more money buying a programmer etc. But I may be wrong, money may not be a problem or you may already have such equipment.

leecovuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands, UK
thanks for your reply;

Money is indeed an issue; I don't have any programming equipment or anything. All I have is my PIXX 3500B which as I said can only handle Irdeto, Viaccess or the Magic Cam. I've been told by the ex dealer not to expect anything 'newer' to work.

A legitimate subscription card / self contained cam+subscription for any adult mature content channels (that's my interest) is of course expensive, but it just seems trying to hack illegally would be difficult and wouldn't guarantee ongoing reception anyway.

The only reason I am considering a Magic cam, is that my limited understanding suggests it supports other encryptions than just Viaccess or Irdeto.
ie, if I was confident that I could buy and get a Magic cam to work, then that would widen my choice of potential channel subscriptions.

So are you saying that a Magic cam doesn't actually 'exist' today, or something?
Or, if it does, what exactly would I need to get it to decode an Irdeto subscription, for example?
Bearing in mind again that the ex dealer says 'anything newer than a Magic cam will probably not work', presumably meaning any upgraded Magic cam (to Reloaded) would also not work?

Anyone out there with oldish receivers who may have experience of these issues?

thanks again.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
No leecovuk
What I am saying is that things have moved on since the Magic Cam yes you can still get them 2nd hand for sure and probably even new. I have one and what can be decrypted becomes less and less. It is true you can get different cards with greater storage and (hence) processing power but you say you are not intersted in that side of things. Using funfiles Irdeto1 is OK with Magic cam but subscriptions I think are now using Irdeto2 which I understand is a no go with this cam. As I explained earlier I am not an expert at what can decode what but based on what you have so far said If you want what you say then a cam/card combination from a provider seems best. Perhaps someone else can jump in and advise in your particular field of interest as I have read posts recently at how disappointed they have been having subscribed to such channels.

leecovuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands, UK
thanks again,

I've posted on here over recent months and this is the closest I've got to almost understanding the issues, so thanks!

It sounds then that a 'Magic' cam is so-called because it was aimed at enthusiasts who want to load this+that to get it to decode various encryptions without any guarantee of success? Would that be a fair summary of what the Magic cam is?
If so, it probably definitely wouldn't be good for me; although technically minded all I want to do is get a guaranteed straightforward viewing.

btw the ex dealer did tell me that Irdeto2 and Viaccess2 cams should be ok as well as the older versions, so it does indeed sound like I should focus on available official packages in these specific formats.

I have been interested for some time in the s_x.tv package, especially the s_x mature content.tv and s_x plus.tv channels, but the recent bigger package MCT means I will now have to investigate what that offers.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
leecovuk said:
It sounds then that a 'Magic' cam is so-called because it was aimed at enthusiasts who want to load this+that to get it to decode various encryptions without any guarantee of success? Would that be a fair summary of what the Magic cam is?
Yes it is was and still is to a certain extent an enthusiasts piece of kit. In its day it was the bees knees. Reflash it to this and try that only good if you like to fiddle around with programs and files and do not mind missing your favourite program whilst you wait for an update to come out. Only as good as the files you could get hold of. Best of luck in your quest!!!

leecovuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands, UK
great thanks;
Unless someone else come along with a markedly different answer or experience, I will now abandon all thoughts of the Magic cam and look for a Irdeto/Viaccess cam + subscription.

btw presumably 'used' Viaccess / Irdeto cams might have been 'fiddled'? Presumably I should get a brand new one, either from the channel or a supplier. ie not ebay.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Even before the days of Ebay people used to offload dodgy (sometimes non functioning) equipment onto the second hand market however, these days society has now completely lost it's conscience and Ebayers enjoy the buzz of ripping people off anonymously. Yes it could be a completely useless piece of junk indeed an ornament that has been flashed and abused until non functioning on the other hand it may have been flashed once and because the person couldn't be bothered to learn how to flash it or did not have the equipment it just got left in a drawer. Who can say!!!! Perhaps you could put a wanted advert in the sales forum here , you never know someone may be bored out of their skull with their subscription and still has six months to go on it and just wants to realise some cash. There is nothing lost even if it comes to nothing.
Happy viewing

qwyxzr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
BASIC
Please help me find software for beausat 2007 receiver. thanks in advance!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
qwyxzr said:
Please help me find software for beausat 2007 receiver. thanks in advance!
qwyxzr
1. Do not hijack other peoples threads. If you want to ask a question go to the relevant forum and click new thread button.
2. Members of this forum are willing to help anyone who is prepared to help themselves. Have you tried a search on google for beausat 2007??? I just did and it came up with various sites, try it you might be surprised at what you can find

OK I can see you managed the new thread well done
;)

leecovuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands, UK
thanks again;
I will assess the finances and may well put out a wanted advert.