SKEW SETTING

wium

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
C and Ku
My Location
South Africa
I have a C band dish in South Africa and have set my skew (0) to my Apex satellite.However,i am receiving on some frequencies both a horizontal and vertical signal.Please advise the reason for this as the channels are duplicated. Note, it is a motorised dish.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
C-band transmissions are often L and R rather than V and H. What satellites are you after?

wium

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
C and Ku
My Location
South Africa
Yes you are right about L and R.My receiver shows V and H.
Being motorised i receive all available satellites.I have got a dual C Band LNB but i dont think that should make any difference.Possibly faulty LNB?

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
wium said:
Yes you are right about L and R.My receiver shows V and H.
Being motorised i receive all available satellites.I have got a dual C Band LNB but i dont think that should make any difference.Possibly faulty LNB?
My experience with C-band is, er, zero.... But can you give an example of satellites and frequencies that exhibit the problem? My first thought was that you are picking up signals from adjacent satellites, but I *think* that that would be unlikely considering the size of a practical C-band dish and the directionality of such-sized dishes. How large is the dish?

wium

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
C and Ku
My Location
South Africa
My dish size is 2.4M.I receive several satellites from 78.5 East to 27.5 West.As an example on 78.5 East, i receive 11 tansponders in Horizontal and 7 of them in vertical as well.

Kveys

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
125 Gibertini, Stab-120 (30W-86.5E), TM-F3/5/TM-5302HD+230Pf (C-band 40.5W-87.5E)
My Location
Southern Finland
It sounds "normal", if signal has very strong. For e.g I get signal from/with both polarisation 3.3E horizontal libyan transponder 3764H. Vertical sure more weaker but enough signal anyway. Satbeams.com shows that 78.5E Global beam would be very strong there in South Africa too. So it sounds clear that 2.4m dish You really get "too/very" strong signal and thats why. So dont think there anything faulty on LNB. Maybe You can sure do something for skew but it seems theres not really problem cause You get channels what want to anyway..?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Yes, completely normal. If a signal is linear polarised you will receive it using a circular polarised LNB in both polarisations, and vice versa. Signal will be 3dB down compared to using the correct LNB.

wium

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
C and Ku
My Location
South Africa
Yes ,Huevos you are correct.I have a teflon plate in my LNB to receive circular transmissions and if i remove the plate signal strengh does increase.East 78.5 satellite is linear polarised left and right,although my satellite receiver shows vertical and horizontal.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Paraclipse said:
Only way to get all the birds with one dish is to pull the plate
No, you can run multiple LNBs.