Sky+ and Windows Media Centre

jjme88

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
UK
I am struggling to understand what kit i need to do the following... or even if it is possible....

all i have at the moment is sky+

What i want is;

big media storage device sat on my home network, available to a windows media centre pc that can stream the video, audio and image files to my tv in the living room and or my tv in the bedroom, either wirlessly or via cable, i dont mind.

From my living room tv i want to be able to record programs from sky+ on to the storeage device and be able to archive them from there onto dvds + play them back on the tv in the bedroom.

Can the media centre be used in such a way as to replace the sky interface.. ie plug the cables from the dish into the back of a media centre device and have that run the show???

is this sort of thing possible??

if so can some recomend what i would need to do it.

jj

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Sky+ will not interface with any devices, save by a standard scart or S-Video connection, so you can record from it onto a PC in real time, but you really can't take too much advantage of the Sky+ facilities.

andrewh

Reaction score
You can stream around your house wirelessly I think with a Netgear MP 115 or Apple Airport Express. I am looking at this. However it seems to me it's probably better to use the money to invest in an ethernet network. What I have not yet figured is how to patch from the PC network to the Hi Fi - home cinema equipment (the latter of course is not ethernet-enabled).

I only have Sky not Sky + , I am looking to build a separate PC device with large hard disc and stitch the Sky signal straight into that, for delayed recording and playback purposes.

Does this sound plausible ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You can send the output of the Sky digibox to the PC, either via analogue TV tuner, or Video card input, but for other than Free to air channels, an onboard DVB-S card will not be of much use.