Carole

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
It used to be the case in the past but I am not sure if it's possible now. I would assume that it is. Isn't there a number you can call to order your movie?

ceetee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY mini dish
My Location
Scarborough
It used to be the case in the past but I am not sure if it's possible now. I would assume that it is. Isn't there a number you can call to order your movie?
Well I tried calling them to watch "Argo" on the Box Office, they accepted the order,
wanted to know what time I wished to view it, and said it would be available on Ch 701.
They said that there would be an additional charge of £1 booking it that way, which I accepted.
We watched the film on 701 no problem.
But what I wanted was to buy say £20 of credit and then just select movies on the Box Office
at will.
The original call to them was to get credit to watch (= rent) the "On Demand" films (SKY Store), which you cannot
do without the phone line being connected. Our phone line socket is no where near the HD box so is
not connected. They told me the phone line must be connected to order interactively, then offered the Box Office method as per above - "Argo" was on both SKY Store and the Box Office as it so happens.
When it appeared on my bill (My Accounts - Next Bill) they had NOT chargd me the £1 !!
I could call them again, but don't want to end up charged that £1. Many thanks for your prompt response Captain.
Carole

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I don't remember it being possible to add credit to your card, only that if the box detected a phone line, it would let you order a movie. It would eventually block any further spending after a predetemined limit was reached.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Big-Apple

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2x Dm800
1xDm7000
My Location
CEE
u see thats sux and its not 21st century bcoz not every1 have phone line . There are ppl that own only Cell phones. Sky shoud have ppv same like Italia or other provider when u pay for "example" whole cinema pack all channels u should have right to access to cheap ppv movies. There should be also some way when u pay amout +- 20 euros u should have access to some ppv 24/7 . This is not good poliltics of sky box office the way it is now. Using FTV card u can see previews of SBO but in SD.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Why should they? PPV are extra money income to Sky. If they give them away to anyone with the movies pack they remove a huge revenue stream.

No-one has to have them, and if they cant or dont want to have the phone line connected then they do without.

Anyway Sky PPV is going down the tubes slowly but surely - loads of the ppv movies channels have been removed from the epg in the last couple of years.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
I suppose eventually they'll do away with the phone line requirement and run the orders though the Internet, at least for those who have it.

ceetee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY mini dish
My Location
Scarborough
timo_w2s said:
I suppose eventually they'll do away with the phone line requirement and run the orders though the Internet, at least for those who have it.
Let us hope so.
I can upgrade my package on line, without the phone line being connected to my HD box, but
I cannot order films from SKY Store or Box Office on line without the phone line being connected.
Muddled thinking by SKY, wouldn't they sell more if you could?
Thanks to all those who also replied to my query.
Carole

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't think they'll do away with the phone line for multipole boxes, but it would certainly make sense to be able to order a PPV event online, or via your ipad app.

tothbros

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
150cm Gibertini, Andrews (CM) feedhorn, LNB: C120 flange Invacom QDF-031, Sky+HD box
My Location
Budapest, Hungary
whats more: this whole credit system doesnt work properly...i had been using the box office/sky store service for 3 months now with no problems: rented films, they showed up on mysky billing, then the extra amount was added to my next bill. then 2 weeks ago i reached Ł35 within a month for the first time, so the message "you have insufficient credit left..." showed up. fine, i thought, so i'll just wait till the end of the month, when sky adds this to my march bill and presumably resets the limit. wrong. for some reason they did not add it to the march bill, the usual sub price was charged on the 4th of march, without the ppv (although all the titles and rental fees are all there on mysky online, in the section where it says: "these wil be added to your next bill"). i contacted sky, they tried everything from doing several manual callbacks (that went through successfully) to hidden menu "new install"s, they even sent me a credit-resetting signal - but it still doesnt work. now they said they will investigate and get back to me...

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
Give it six to twelve months or so and most if not all box office/pay per view will be ordered and delivered online so you can start the movie when needed (and to free up transponders in a move to more IPTV from sky)

I don`t think anything has been discussed/released but I can see sky moving more and more to over to IP/internet viewing/streaming

The phone line will be around for a while just for multiroom but when they suss a way to make sure all the boxes are connected to the same LAN in the same building/country they`ll do away with the phone line too

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
I cant see the IPTV service from sky taking off for many years to come, they would literally have to guarantee that all customers could receive a FTTC connection and give them all unlimited usage instead of the 5,10,40gb caps as they do now. And then they have to talk customers into having there BB package personally cant see this happening

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
digi247 said:
I cant see the IPTV service from sky taking off for many years to come, they would literally have to guarantee that all customers could receive a FTTC connection and give them all unlimited usage instead of the 5,10,40gb caps as they do now. And then they have to talk customers into having there BB package personally cant see this happening
It`s an extra money maker though, giving the customers the choice, watch the movie when you want to via IP or watch it when we decide via satellite

The could offer their IP customers an upgrade on their broadband for an extra £££ fee with x months free service or simply exclude all sky based IP addresses from their download limits/caps (that`s not that hard to do with a bit of DNS tinkering)

I seem to recall a thread/post on here saying sky wanted to ditch satellite all together and provide only by IP

Look at sky+ anytime or what ever it is called now, that near enough all comes down the internet line apart from the overnight stuff that is recorded on satellite

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
smoggy07 said:
It`s an extra money maker though, giving the customers the choice, watch the movie when you want to via IP or watch it when we decide via satellite

The could offer their IP customers an upgrade on their broadband for an extra £££ fee with x months free service or simply exclude all sky based IP addresses from their download limits/caps (that`s not that hard to do with a bit of DNS tinkering)

I seem to recall a thread/post on here saying sky wanted to ditch satellite all together and provide only by IP

Look at sky+ anytime or what ever it is called now, that near enough all comes down the internet line apart from the overnight stuff that is recorded on satellite

Yes the sky anytime does now mainly come through the broadband but look how they tackled that one when it first came out you can only get it if you took out Sky broadband all other customers with different ISP's where left out in the cold until they received enough complaints and threats to cancel contracts.

I agree i can see the PPV and all catchup going IP but the channels not for many moons the cost involved and IP infrastructure upgrades needed would cost Millions

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Currently 0.24 Mbps Download Speed here ............... sometimes reaches the giddy heights of 0.72 Mbps.

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
Tivù said:
Currently 0.24 Mbps Download Speed here ............... sometimes reaches the giddy heights of 0.72 Mbps.

Your being modest there Tivu you know you have plenty there for streaming PPV catch up on demand and still have enough left in tank to browse the forum LOL :-)

tothbros

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
150cm Gibertini, Andrews (CM) feedhorn, LNB: C120 flange Invacom QDF-031, Sky+HD box
My Location
Budapest, Hungary
i often have very slow download speeds on sky on demand/store/whatever...my normal down speed is 25 mbps, through the uk vpn its about 10, but sometimes it takes really long to download a movie to the box

Big-Apple

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2x Dm800
1xDm7000
My Location
CEE
Analoguesat said:
Why should they? PPV are extra money income to Sky. If they give them away to anyone with the movies pack they remove a huge revenue stream.

No-one has to have them, and if they cant or dont want to have the phone line connected then they do without.

Anyway Sky PPV is going down the tubes slowly but surely - loads of the ppv movies channels have been removed from the epg in the last couple of years.
Bcoz ppv is not only movies. look @ WWE they demanding 20 pounds for what for american circus called WWE in HD?

In italy u have 24/7 channel yes bonus pay but its only channel in europe

In italy they have best politics of PPV. Movies are separated by prize and u have more than 2 methods of payment

if they are forcing to use Phone line they are dump bcoz numer of local/home phone lines are going down and down

thats why in Sky It when u can full cinemax pack u have access to PPV but very limited.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Could you please try to avoid Posting in "txt speak" ............. It makes it quite hard for some of us oldies to fully comprehend what is written. Thankyou.

Big-Apple

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2x Dm800
1xDm7000
My Location
CEE
i will only add one thing

SKY UK is only european DTH provider where watching /testing ppv is really problematic they changing SIDS/PIDS frequencies same often as movies so if u wana order PPV better way is use HD channel ther r only 2 of them atm.

Sky is w8sting transponders keeping SD ppv look @ italia :D