sky card problem

rui lucio

Reaction score
hi there
i have this problem with sky card..can get all fta and local bbc(not london101,but card area. that means active card???) but when i try itv ,ch4,5,
got this message:

There is a problem with your viewing card
Ensure your Sky viewing card is correctly inserted
Call your broadcaster for assistance.

dont know if is card problem or box..also when i put the card in another box I cant get the local bbc only 101 london .also in system details on both boxes doesnt show card number .
tHanks

smc999

Reaction score
rui lucio said:
hi there
i have this problem with sky card..can get all fta and local bbc(not london101,but card area. that means active card???) but when i try itv ,ch4,5,
got this message:

There is a problem with your viewing card
Ensure your Sky viewing card is correctly inserted
Call your broadcaster for assistance.

dont know if is card problem or box..also when i put the card in another box I cant get the local bbc only 101 london .also in system details on both boxes doesnt show card number .
tHanks
Could be that the card needs the "magic jumper" treatment. Switch the box off, pull out the card, rub the chip with the sleeve of your jumper (or use a cloth), reinsert the card and switch the box on. This works everytime I get this error message.

rui lucio

Reaction score
smc999 said:
Could be that the card needs the "magic jumper" treatment. Switch the box off, pull out the card, rub the chip with the sleeve of your jumper (or use a cloth), reinsert the card and switch the box on. This works everytime I get this error message.
i tried that before..no luck..i will try tonight ....its a strange card problem I think...
i can watch all the bbc and fta but no itv,ch4,5...wonder if the card is active...

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
If you press services > system details does it display the card number?

If not then either the card is faulty or the box reader is, if possible try the card in another digibox to see if it can be read.

Having the correct BBC1 just means that the last card that worked in your box was registered for your region.

If the cards faulty just phone Sky and tell them and they will send another.

rui lucio

Reaction score
PoloMint said:
If you press services > system details does it display the card number?

If not then either the card is faulty or the box reader is, if possible try the card in another digibox to see if it can be read.

Having the correct BBC1 just means that the last card that worked in your box was registered for your region.

If the cards faulty just phone Sky and tell them and they will send another.
no card number in system details and when i put it another box..same...this card was in another box i have with sky subs.,i finished the subs. left the card with box in my mothers houseportugal).now after some months i got second hand box (living barcelona)and ask for the card thinking in watching all ftv..but no luck......any sugestion????
when i conect the box without card i get looking for list-bbc1 london 101..i put the card in the slot and it changes bbc 1 to w.midlands..is box paires with my card or with the previous card???

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
What software version is the secondhand box running?

Older versions won’t recognise the second generation cards. But if you have tried the card in another box that works with the new cards then it seems likely that the card is dead.

If you know someone in the UK you could get them to get the newly launched £20ish FTV card from Sky and post it to you.

rui lucio

Reaction score
you are right..the second box is one old amstrad 100 and the software is not upgarding .still on 2.bb something while the new box is running on 3.2...I tried to make forced download..but nothing..guess its a software problem...the new freesat thing from sky looks the only solution....

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If it is a valid card, you should be able to leave it in any receiver with the latest software and it will re-activate.

Keep trying with the Amstrad, it may well update after a few attempts.

rui lucio

Reaction score
i will...i bought it from ebay(99p)when i got it it was very slow and freezing..i left it conected one day and i manage to get it working.the software download is the only problem.i will try several times to force it to see what happens..do you know if this is a commom problem???maybe because it was desconect a lot of time???

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It does seem to be a problem for it to go from a very early version to the latest, it could of course be on its way out as well. :)

When you go through the update routine, try adding this step:

Put box in standby, before turning off at the mains, press the backup button on the receiver and keep depressed whilst you switch off the mains power at the wall, wait for 30 seconds and switch mains power back on, keep depressed until all of the lights flash.

This may make the difference to the upgrade being successful.

rui lucio

Reaction score
i will try...it should upgrade...hope!!!I know that sometimes it takes some time to boxes to upgrade.i tried like 4 or 5 upgrades until now in space 2 weeks.i will try massise download this week end..