Sky catchup without a telphone line nearby

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
A client of mine has had Sky installed since the early 90's and has continued without me on 'upgrades' to the dish , the LNB and the receivers. I put in the original analogue system (an Amstrad 400 if I recall) as terrestrial in the area was obscured by Richmond Rise but taken no part in the replacements, subscription cards or telephone connection following a request the system be moved into a distant room within the property, well away from the telephone point. I drilled the hole, added cable and connector and took the money in the last century.

Then I got a call yesterday asking about Ketchup TV, I went over last night....

Sky appears to have been happy to take his monthly subs since pulling the landline socket from the back of the receiver, and this is currently running into about 140 a month on the bill (TV only).
This includes reference to 3D subscription as well, despite his TV having - until a year ago - SCART only connections on the rear. The last 'expert' through the door also supplied glasses x 3 for a one off 'monkey and a half', reduced from a claimed grand. He paid in cash.

He now has a brand spanking new HD+ box as the last one 'went for a Burton' a few weeks back. It is however connected to my original downlead feed, which was a surprise he should have been entitled to a new outdoor and cable installation, according to the Sky+ blurb from the last decade. He has been unable to make many, if any recordings as the need to watch at the time has always taken preference. The old boxes have of course been taken away but not the earlier cartons, three of which in the past 12 years suggest they were refurbs.

Somebody has been extracting the urine, but to let him know now his HD viewing has been a fantasy (I would not mention the 3D)would probably stop the 93 year old's ticker, I need to work on a solution moving forward.

Does catch-up need broadband connection or can it run from an extension to the existing line (I advised no)

The line is assigned to BT - will this require a broadband upgrade ? ( I said more than likely )

Knowing I could possibly get a signal with a dongle to the incoming telephone line at the other end of the property, after fitting something to the other end (router ? I'm not currently sure he has reliable broadband as he last turned on the computer about five years back and it looks like a Pentium II or III model)

The ethernet cable will have to run over the front of a Grade 2 listed building which is a no, but will modern Sky boxes connect to a wireless dongle ?

I just don't want to leave him to the local wolves but he insists on keeping satellite TV. Freeview still does not cover the location and Freesat would not give him the History channel.

Markjose

Young one with a hobby
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 110 ..... No fixed location
My Location
Monmouth
throwing this in there.... wall plugs ?

New Sky Box's have built in wifi.

Will have to be broadband otherwise will take an age to download

Just some ideas.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
For catchup TV he'll need to be connected to broadband, the phone line was only used for PPV material. If he has broadband, then Homeplugs should sort out the remote connection.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Yep, power line / Home plug adapater.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
For catchup TV he'll need to be connected to broadband, the phone line was only used for PPV material. If he has broadband, then Homeplugs should sort out the remote connection.

As long as the annex is on the same supply phase I assume

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Off the same board.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hmm, will check. It's a long walk to the dish.....